How embarrassing

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by clueless1, Nov 21, 2013.

1. Lolimac

Lolimac Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    :paladin:I've got my eye on you lot:th scifD36::lunapic 130165696578242 5:

• Funny Funny x 1
    • shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
      Ratings:
      +122,455
      I travel around a lot and use a SatNav - but never trust it much. I work out my route beforehand, make notes for myself - usually, by then, I've got it all in my head :heehee:

The SatNav is very handy for telling me about road conditions. It tells me of accidents and road closures as well as slow traffic and then leaves the decsion for me to make. It's, also, very good in towns for navigating me through local roads.

It's good but it isn't god!!! :lunapic 130165696578242 5:

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Freddy

Freddy Miserable git, well known for it

Retired - yay!
        Ratings:
        +12,517
        Sat Navs.

We have one which Aunt Sally uses all the time in connection with her job, very useful. However, I recall a time I used it to navigate to and from a place not far from Bedford. On the way back we had to pass through Milton Keynes. It led me into a cul-de-sac! Try as I might, it seemed that there was no escape. I knew I wanted to head west, so I used the Sun:heehee:

• strongylodon

strongylodon Old Member

Retired
        Ratings:
        +29,477
        I thought all or nearly all planes operated on 'fly by wire' computer controlled so the pilots don't need to 'navigate,' perhaps satnav is an 'improvement':scratch:
        I've never used one as I have a hatred of relying on gadgets (which includes smart phones).

• Freddy

Freddy Miserable git, well known for it

Retired - yay!
        Ratings:
        +12,517
        Hiya Strongy:)

Fly by wire is a system whereby there is no direct mechanical connection between the controls and any given flight operation. Imagine using the steering wheel in your car but instead of direct mechanical linkage, it was done via an impulse from the steering wheel to motors to turn the wheels.
        As I understand it, aircraft (pilots) use auto pilot for the majority of any given journey/flight, a system that utilises 'marker' points along the way. On final approach the local airport gives them final guidance, which runway, wind speed, that kinda thing. So, a bit surprising that this has happened:dunno:

• HarryS

HarryS Eternally Optimistic Gardener

Retired
        Ratings:
        +16,248
        I'd love to hear the engineers reassuring words "you can PROBABLY get airborne again". Its not a word you want to use when flying planes. :biggrin:

• Funny Funny x 1