How hard is it?

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by linlin, Nov 17, 2006.

1. Paladin

Paladin Gardening...A work of Heart

Retired but still grubbing the soil.
    Ratings:
    +770
    ??...I have to use the URL and delete the http:// first though.

2. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +92,084
    Thats strange, I dont.
    Just copy and paste the IMG.

3. linlin

linlin Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks guys - I'll try posting just one at a time.
    [​IMG]
    This is looking south. House on the left, lower patio level. The wall on the right was in two sections: the section still standing is going to stay, further down is the wall I've spent ages demolishing. The patio slabs have been removed all the way along as the digger will need access to this level. In the forefront, you'll see the footings of another wall which has also been removed for digger access.

[ 21. January 2007, 09:55 AM: Message edited by: linlin ]

4. linlin

linlin Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I may as well carry on and edit my posts later when I take breaks from brick bashing!
    [​IMG]
    This is looking north. House on the right. You can see both upper and lower patio levels. That hole in the upper level was a fish pond and is lined with blocks. The digger will remove all the earth between the right hand side of the pond toward the house, and at the corners of the pond closest to the house, the earth will be removed diagonally toward the corners. In the foreground of this photo is a wall and just the other side of that are steps - so the earth will be removed diagonally from the near right hand side of the pond to the steps. Likewise on the far side there is a wall which is to remain and earth will be removed from the far right hand side of the pond to that wall. I haven't yet taken up all the patio slabs that will be affected on the upper level.

[ 21. January 2007, 09:55 AM: Message edited by: linlin ]

5. linlin

linlin Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Next photo:
    [​IMG]
    Photo of upper level, showing pond and piles of cleaned and sorted bricks. Photo taken from lower level.

[ 21. January 2007, 09:54 AM: Message edited by: linlin ]

6. linlin

linlin Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    My final photo (if I can only get them to show!)
    [​IMG]
    This was taken from the same place as the first photo, but looking up the garden. On the left is the wall which goes up various levels from the lower to the upper patio and curves around the upper patio.
    This hump of grass is where I'm hoping the digger will scoop out some earth and I'll create a flat base, with steps running up. This is where my hot tub is going!
    It's an eco friendly hot tub - not the usual thing with jets and plastic etc, but a huge half wine barrel with wood stove for heating the water. It's 2m diameter round and I'll be needing to build a short wall at the far end of the base to hold back the surrounding earth. Ideally, I'd like to build a curved wall (with your help), following the curve of the hot tub.

[ 21. January 2007, 09:53 AM: Message edited by: linlin ]

7. Paladin

Paladin Gardening...A work of Heart

Retired but still grubbing the soil.
    Ratings:
    +770
    What a project linlin!..That'll keep you busy during the Summer.
    I could do with those slabs here...I'm on the lookout for about 200 2'x2'.. :D

8. UsedtobeDendy

UsedtobeDendy Gardener

Retired teacher and gardener
    Ratings:
    +172
    As Pal says - what a project! I now see the significance of your title!!

Well done to you for being prepared to tackle it, and to keep on at it - it's a LOT of hard work! You've definitely deserved a few of these (although maybe it's not the best time of day for it, and you're probably bashing stones again..... [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. linlin

linlin Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks both, tho I'm not a big beer drinker, more a g&t lady! Can't offer you my slabs and even if I could, transporting them on the ferry would cost a fortune.
    You're right, with clear blue skies and sunshine, this is what I'm doing today:
    [​IMG]
    Do you like the homemade chisel sheath? My thumb knuckle has been swollen since New Year, but the foam certainly helps.

10. tig

tig Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    fair play to you linlin, itll all be worth it in the end, and more rewarding. ohh and glad to see a man utd hat on your head [​IMG] :D

11. Garden sponge

Garden sponge Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Its only a suggestion but if you didn't fancy doing it yourself you could enquire at a local college that does bricklaying courses if they would be interested in some practical if you supply the materials.

12. UsedtobeDendy

UsedtobeDendy Gardener

Retired teacher and gardener
    Ratings:
    +172
    What a brilliant idea, Garden Sponge!! Bet you think so too, Linlin! :D

BUT, I bet if you ever tried to do anything like that you'd come up against H&S regulations...... :rolleyes:

13. linlin

linlin Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the replies. The Man utd hat was discarded by one son, the oversized anorak by another son! The college idea is great - I'll be making enquiries next week, but I also suspect there'd be issues. Say Hi to Romford for me - I went to school at St Edwards!!

I'm about to phone the digger man and hope he can come in the next week or so.

A question tho - foundations for brick walls. If you look at the 2nd photo, you'll see that the walls need to be around three sides of the pond and diagonally from the corners. As the pond has block surrounds, I'm hoping to build only one brick wall, the diagonal walls need to be doubled. What depth and width foundations will I need? Am wondering if man with digger can scoop out the foundations for an extra �£ or so.

14. miraflores

miraflores Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,389
    Hi linlin, about the st Edwards school, did you have to wear the lovely blue basque hat with three yellow birds on it? I think that they have a lovely uniform!

15. linlin

linlin Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Miraflores - I don't remember that hat, tho I vaguely remember some kind of hat. In my first year, the school moved from the market place to the new building between Romford and Chadwell Heath. Soon after that a headmistress was recruited (can't remember her name) to be Mr Thomas' right hand woman and a group of us got her to change the girls summer uni from the blue and white stripes to that blue patterned dress! When Princess Margaret opened the school, I was doing something horrible with clay!