How hard is it?

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by linlin, Nov 17, 2006.

1. linlin

linlin Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Can I ask for more help please?

I'm now ready to order materials and I'd like to order everything I'm going to need in one go, so that I have only one delivery charge.

I've been told that limestone is better than sand for laying patio slabs, so I'll be ordering that anyway but I'm wondering if limestone can be used as the combined aggregate (or ballast) for the foundations of the walls?

Also......can anyone give me a rule of thumb as to how to estimate the quantity of dry mortar mix needed to fill the joints between paving slabs?

Also....(sorry to keep on).... how to calculate how many wall ties I need for the double thickness walls?

I'll post another photo as soon I can, but the project is really going well thanks to all the help I've had here.

2. walnut

walnut Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
  3. linlin

linlin Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Walnut - I'll be phoning around for quotes today.

4. linlin

linlin Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Update on my quotes and more help requested please.
    I asked for limestone to bed the patio slabs and have been told to use crushed concrete as it's half the price. Also told that crushed concrete will do the job of ballast for the concrete needed for foundations.

Sand - I thought I should order soft sand (this is also known as builders sand?) for mortar to lay bricks, but for mortar to dollop under patio slabs I asked for sharp sand and have been told to use builders sand for that too; then I asked for silver sand for the patio joint filling but no one I've spoken to has heard of silver sand and I've been told to use builders sand for that as well.

So having asked for three varieties of sand, my potential suppliers recommend only one sort - is it because they only have one kind available?

I'd really appreciate an answer to these questions asap as I'll need to order today.

5. walnut

walnut Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    Mot Ballast is crushed concrete, sharp sand is ideal for mortar, I'm sure you will get loads of different ideas it's up to you to decide at the end of the day I have used what I have described and have had no problems

6. wiseowl

wiseowl Amiable Admin Staff Member

Philosophy of people
    Ratings:
    +91,667
    Hi linlin.This is my personal choice,this is what i use.Mortar for brick laying/3 parts soft(building)sand to 1 part cement.
    For patio slabs/4 parts Sharp sand to 1 part cement.for the joints i use a dry mix of the same.I allways use hardcore as a foundation base for slabs,pummeling it down untill i get
    the right level.
    For concrete I allways use 4 Ballast to 1 cement.
    Silver sand I know is used in glass manufacture and sometimes in small amounts to mix with seed
    compost.
    I know most builders round this area tend to use
    soft sand for both mixes.So I expect your supplies were only advising you as what a lot of people use.My mixes are a bit on the strong side
    Ie 3/1 most would say 4/1 but I need to know they will last.There are many variations of mixes.Hope this helps.
    Just a little tip(if you add a couple of sqirts of washing up liquid to the water you use It will make the Mortar easier and more cohesive to work with.

[​IMG]

[ 08. February 2007, 01:37 PM: Message edited by: wiseoldowl ]

7. linlin

linlin Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your replies. I've now ordered the materials and hope to get on with the work next week. Am hoping you'll be available to answer more queries as they arise as some of this work is totally new to me.

8. stuart payne

stuart payne Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    If the old bricks are quite soft then I would use lime mortar. It is more expensive than cement. Lime mortar is meant to be sacrificial and so will require more maintenance. Re pointing about every 20 years. The benefits are it's easy to use, it does not set too quickly ( you can remix mortar left over from the previous days work) and its flexible so you dont need expantion joints in the walls, and it looks much nicer than cement based mortars. Use a lime rated at nhl 3.5 this is a good stong lime. Dont use the standard hydrated lime stocked in builders merchants, its really only good as a plasticiser. The mix is generally 3 sand 1 lime. The sand should be well graded, I normally use 1 part sharp sand and 2 parts plastering sand. Soft sand is by name soft and tends not to give a strong enough mortar when used with lime.

9. linlin

linlin Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    A quick update and a request for more help please.

Foundations for the walls have been laid and bricklaying starts first thing Monday (I hope).
    I could do with some ideas on how to build walls with an angle of about 60 degrees.

I'll try and describe in greater detail with the following photo:
    [​IMG]

The back and sides of the old pond need single brick walls, but from the outer corners to the existing patio, they'll need double brick walls and that's where the angle comes in.

Hope someone here can hold my hand (again)!

10. linlin

linlin Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Project complete apart from Patio grouting

[​IMG]

Thanks for all help provided

11. walnut

walnut Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    Well done Linlin great job looks fantastic.

12. mef750

mef750 Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Now I think that deserves a big [​IMG] and a large [​IMG] FANTASTIC! [​IMG] [​IMG]
    MEF750

13. wiseowl

wiseowl Amiable Admin Staff Member

Philosophy of people
    Ratings:
    +91,667
    Jolly well done looks great,Linlin I bet your pleased and proud.Its exceptional. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

14. dancing queen

dancing queen Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    what a makeover its looking great

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

15. Kandy

Kandy Will be glad to see the sun again soon.....

Head gardener
    Ratings:
    +6,543
    Brilliant job well done Linlin [​IMG] [​IMG] Lovely big garden you have there :cool: