1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

How hot does a greenhouse get???

Discussion in 'Greenhouse Growing' started by Spacemunkey, Mar 2, 2017.

1. ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +100,836
    How did you know I was a complete idiot:scratch::heehee: I did apply for the local Village Idiot's job but failed because I was too thick.

The instructions on the back of the seed packet is just general blurb. Have a look at the Tomato related threads on GC and you should get a better idea.:snorky:

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
      Ratings:
      +118,361
      A cheap way to do it if you really need to is a spray on greenhouse shading. You spray it onto the roof and it's similar to whitewash. You need to wash it off at the end of the hot weather. A hose and a broom is usually good enough to do that.

I don't need to do that as, over the years, the accumulated dirt works quite well :snork:

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Funny Funny x 1
      • sandymac

sandymac Super Gardener

engineer
        Ratings:
        +914
        Loads of different factors come into play when sowing tomato seeds in the UK.
        Do you have a greenhouse, if so is it heated, do you have supplementary lighting etc.
        The general rule is sow somewhere warm six to eight weeks before last frosts in your zone. You will require to give them as much daylight as possible and keep them at least 10Deg C at night for them to progress, any lower than this will hinder progress and frost is a killer.
        To give you an Idea In my case I have a heated greenhouse and a nice warm conservatory plus lighting.
        I sowed my first dozen toms on Jan 13th these were kept warm and had lights over them, they are now potted up into 6" pots and are 10" high (this is after burying stems deeper each potting up ) Last year I was eating toms from Jan sowing in May. ( first one 19th)
        I will be sowing my next lot this weekend once again in conservatory and expect these to be fruiting by July thus extending my season.
        The Jan sown plants will be kept in the conservatory until April by which time they will be in their final pots and around 2ft 6inches high.
        Depending upon forecasts the first dozen Jan sown will go into the greenhouse in April which will be heated, the sowing this weekend will be kept in the conservatory until towards the end of may and will go into an unheated greenhouse at this time. just as insurance I will leave a thermostat controlled heater in the greenhouse until June as I live right on the coast in the north east.
        Hope this helps Alex.

• Informative Informative x 3
        • Like Like x 1
        • Agree Agree x 1
        • HarryS

HarryS Eternally Optimistic Gardener

Retired
          Ratings:
          +16,246
          For those of us born after the reign of queen Victoria , 100f = 38°C :biggrin:
          I leave the door open on warm sunny days . The window whitewash is easily applied and removed when not required . Not sure where you buy it from . They always used it on glass factory roofs as I remember.

• Like Like x 2
          • strongylodon

strongylodon Old Member

Retired
            Ratings:
            +28,415
            Automatic vents are a must for a small greenhouse, mine take the heat off a little when the temperature suddenly increases in the sun this time of year.

I don't sow tomato seed until the end of March, by June they would have caught up with seed sown earlier, as previously mentioned.

• Like Like x 1
            • Agree Agree x 1
            • CanadianLori

CanadianLori Total Gardener

Battle Axe
              Ratings:
              +30,610
              I started my tomato seeds indoors about a month ago. They are now over a foot tall. As soon as I start heating the greenhouse, they'll be going out there. I have also started asprabroc, hot peppers, kelsae onions, drumstick, marigolds, pansies. Yesterday I started brussels sprouts and thumbergia seeds. Today I will be starting zinnias, osteospermum, gazanias, and some more nicotiana. If I had your climate, I would have my greenhouse in use right now!

• Like Like x 3
              • Spacemunkey

Spacemunkey Gardener

Steel worker
                Ratings:
                +270
                Hi Lori, I sow my seeds today, 3 types of tomato, 3 types of chilli and 2 different types of cucumber. I'm really proud of myself lol:yes:

• Like Like x 3
                • Spacemunkey

Spacemunkey Gardener

Steel worker
                  Ratings:
                  +270
                  I bought these propergators this morning at my local garden centre. Whilst wandering around I first spotted them on a central display unit priced at £5.49 each so I picked up 3, I carried on walking around the store and I came across another display tucked away at the rear of the store and they were priced at £3.99 each. I checked the labels and they were exactly the same, same brand, size, so I swapped them over and paid the cashier and they did register as £3.99... woo hoo lol

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 3
                  • Scrungee

Scrungee Well known for it

Ratings:
                    +28,997
                    I'm struggling to think of anything to add to that, except if sowing plants to bring on in the greenhouse for planting outdoors, sow a few weeks later.

And although bush tomatoes can be a waste of space in a greenhouse, early quick maturing bush varieties, like Red Alert, can be brought on in pots and turfed outside when warm enough.

• Like Like x 2
                    • CanadianLori

Battle Axe
                      Ratings:
                      +30,610
                      As @Scrungee says, pots work really well until you are ready to plant out in the garden. I do this with my beefsteak and roma tomatoes. I did grow some greenhouse variety last year but in retrospect felt they weren't as productive as the outside ones and therefore taking up expensive real estate.

My greenhouses are transitioning areas for most of what I grow and for the summer usually just have hot peppers in them.

• Like Like x 2
                      • Agree Agree x 1
                      • Scrungee

Scrungee Well known for it

Ratings:
                        +28,997
                        That's how I view my greenhouse, just somewhere to bring on loads of plants until they all can be planted out either in polytunnels or open ground as and when conditions permit.

• Like Like x 2
                        • ARMANDII

Ratings:
                          +100,836
                          Oh, come on, Harry, we all know you were born the day after she went to the Great Empire in the sky.:dunno::whistle::heehee:
                          [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 4
                          • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
                            Ratings:
                            +85,694
                            I've only sowed onions in mine up to now, but then my greenhouses are mainly for getting tender plants through the winter.
                            Although I will be sowing more seeds, before the end of the month and into next month for things like outdoor toms.

The only plants that really do well in an unshaded greenhouse in high summer are desert cacti and succulents IMO.:)

• Like Like x 1
                            • Informative Informative x 1
                            • ARMANDII

Ratings:
                              +100,836
                              The only things I have in the Green House are 13 pots of Allium Nectaroscordum Siculum, 23 pots of Allium Nectarorscordum Bulgaricum, 4 varieties of Perennial Poppies, a couple of white Agaphanthus, a Dicentra Alba, and 4 or 5 Quamash. The tomatoes that I will sow next week will end up in a spare South facing bedroom until they are big enough to pot on.:snorky:

• Like Like x 2
                              • Informative Informative x 1
                              • CanadianLori

Battle Axe
                                Ratings:
                                +30,610
                                Sounds like everyone has been gardening most of the way the the winter too! :)

I just came across some clear plastic that I had cut in order to make a taller cover for one of my cold frames. I had sewn the first one last summer and will get this one done in the next few weeks.

From indoor to greenhouse - from greenhouse to cold frame - then covers off the cold frames. That is how I get my exercise :snork:

Right now it looks pretty sad out there because I didn't have time in the fall to properly store everthing but you can see the cold frame on the right is the original "as bought" and the one on the left is the one that I added height to and made a new cover. DSCN2298.JPG

• Like Like x 5
                                  Last edited: Mar 3, 2017