How many figs on your trees this year ??

Discussion in 'Trees' started by Webmaster, May 25, 2006.

1. Paladin

Paladin Gardening...A work of Heart

Retired but still grubbing the soil.
    Ratings:
    +770
    Some bad improvers out there :mad:
    Just be careful you don't stop the bricks from breathing and cause damp problems!! Your pointing looks soft and is so for a reason. Surveyors cost..but not in the long run if they know their job!...Render costs verses repointing??

2. Webmaster

Webmaster Webmaster Staff Member

Ratings:
    +2,955
    And if it is rendered, it's going to need painting every year :rolleyes: .... That is why I keep putting it off ;)

Nathan.

3. rosa

rosa Gardener

Ratings:
    +14
    i have bought a fig tree yours look better than mine just got three leaves on mine at the moment 4th leave just showing now, have mine on a balcony, shaded sun afternoons put it on a tall table will it grow ok where it is.
    new member rosa

4. Liz

Liz Gardener

Ratings:
    +65
    They prefer full sun so depending how much it gets it might get a bit leggy, but they areeasy to trim back and hard to kill, so see how it goes- well worth trying.

5. rosa

rosa Gardener

Ratings:
    +14
    just get sun in the afternoons on the balcony will keep an eye on it iff i think it does not look very happy my neighbour normally takes any plants and puts them in her garden down stairs, she is a lucky lady getting my unhappy plants.
    from rosa

6. nicsdad

nicsdad Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I have a fig at the bottom of my garden about 12 fft. Ithas friut all year round but only 2 in 3 years edable. Becarful with the sap it can irretate the skin.

7. Banana Man

Banana Man You're Growing On Me ...

SuperHero...
    Ratings:
    +407
    Nate,

My fig grown for foliage not friut. :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Honey Bee

Honey Bee Gardener

Queen Bee
    Sunny South coast (well, it used to be......)
    Ratings:
    +54
    OK - my fig is in a pot in a sheltered sunny corner. I have had it nearly 2 years now. It looks really healthy, and lots of new growth. The only thing is that it only has 6 or so small leaves at the end of each branch, and looks pretty scrawny as it only has 5 branches. As it only has 4 figs on, I'm not worried about the fruit, just how on earth do I get it to bush up and get more leaves?????

:confused: :confused:

9. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +92,076
    Honey Bee, Let four leaves grow, then pinch out, it consentrates the plant on producing fruit and keeps it compact as well.
    I've been growing various plants of Brown Turkey for a few years now with reasonable sucsess, but I still think they taste awful, very insipid and tasteless.
    Is there anyone out there growing a different variety with more flavour, or is it to do with our climate, not hot or dry enough.
    Any ideas?

10. Honey Bee

Honey Bee Gardener

Queen Bee
    Sunny South coast (well, it used to be......)
    Ratings:
    +54
    Hi Pete

Thanks for the tip - I'll pinch them out tomorrow!!!! Mine is a Brown Turkey too. I never thought I'd get a decent crop here - compared to the trees and fruit you get in the Med. We were in the Algarve last October, and the trees there were HUGE!!!!! One particularly massive one, in typical Mediterranean style had old planks of wood up-ended as supports for the branches which were so heavy with the fruit!!! So ramshackle, but looked so right!!

11. rosa

rosa Gardener

Ratings:
    +14
    dont know what sort mine is and has now got 4 leaves.what do you do with figs anyone i havnt a clue and thats iff i get any on my tree this year

12. Liz

Liz Gardener

Ratings:
    +65
  13. Liz

Liz Gardener

Ratings:
    +65
  14. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +92,076
    That a good nursery Liz, lots of interesting things, cant help wondering why, with all those varieties of fig available, Brown Turkey is nearly always the one thats seen in the UK.
    There must be one or two there that is suitable for outdoors in the UK, Peters Honey maybe. :D

15. rosa

rosa Gardener

Ratings:
    +14
    thanks will check that site out for fig recipes