How many figs on your trees this year ??

Discussion in 'Trees' started by Webmaster, May 25, 2006.

1. Liz

Liz Gardener

Ratings:
    +65
    I visited Heligan a few years ago. They have an enormous walled vegetable garden with half a dozen varieties of figs growing outside. Now I know it's Cornwall, and the garden is walled, but even so there must be some as you say.

My grumpy neighbour in Cambs. had a small walled garden facing south and he grew 'Reculver' with no problems. Huge black figs with quite different leaf shape.
    I looked through all their varieties and most say whether they are conservatory, greenhouse or outdoors. To my surprise there are at least 12 worth trying outside if you have a sheltered spot. White Mars*ille they say will even produce a second crop in this country.
    I'm very tempted even though they're quite expensive. Perhaps they're not more popular because a lot of people just don't like figs to eat!

[ 10. June 2006, 02:54 PM: Message edited by: Liz ]

2. Liz

Liz Gardener

Ratings:
    +65
    Peter's Honey they say is conservatory. Have you got one? [conservatory I mean] [​IMG]

3. rosa

rosa Gardener

Ratings:
    +14
    great news my fig tree is fine the 5th leaf is just showing, it appears to be thriving on my balcony,looking forward to seeing figs growing on it eventually.
    rosa

4. Liz

Liz Gardener

Ratings:
    +65
    I have had a disappointing year with my figs, despite the hot weather. Only about 10 ripened, the others are sitting on the tree half the size they should be, similar to those in nathan's last picture. They will have to be picked off before next year.
    I'm wondering if the tree has really put its roots down despite the stony soil; I didn't restrict it as I thought the soil was sufficiently poor.
    How has everyone else done?

5. UsedtobeDendy

UsedtobeDendy Gardener

Retired teacher and gardener
    Ratings:
    +172
    I'd guess you're right about the reason, Liz. I've always heard that they need their roots to be restricted to fruit. I'd like to try one, but then, I'd like to try practically everything, and I have to be realistic! [​IMG]

6. rosa

rosa Gardener

Ratings:
    +14
    my fig all the leaves withered and died off its still alive just

7. macleaf

macleaf Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    i possed once with a fig leaf that too died much to the applause from the audience :D :D :D

8. Liz

Liz Gardener

Ratings:
    +65
  9. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +92,076
    I've had a resonable crop this summer, but they still tasted insipid, so I gave them all away to a neighbour who likes them.

10. jazid

jazid Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    I inherited one small tree growing in the shade. I doubt it will move, anyway I like the big leaves. Now, after 14 years it has produced one whole fig!!! A squirrel ate it before it fully ripened (naturally).

11. UsedtobeDendy

UsedtobeDendy Gardener

Retired teacher and gardener
    Ratings:
    +172
  12. rosa

rosa Gardener

Ratings:
    +14
    mine got to 5 leaves then disaster struck :D :D