how safe do you feel

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by intermiplants, Feb 13, 2008.

1. Sarraceniac

Sarraceniac Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Did you hear about the one fingered pick-pocket who could only steal colostomy bags? [​IMG]

2. jjordie

jjordie ex-mod

Ratings:
    +206
    I had to ring the police two nights ago at about 9 pm as there was so much screaming
    from next-door and the youth who sometimes lives there was breaking up furniture and and
    a young-ish female was screaming - "help me" and "don't do it!" and then being chased
    all round the garden and up the road. It sounded like somebody was being murdered.

As they often have drink/drug parties until the early hours I expect he had been partaking
    of the same.

The Police said they had already had an anonymous call saying "help" and then phone
    was put down. They were very quick in responding and the youth was taken away
    although he returned the next morning.

The police assured me they would not divulge that it was me that phoned though I
    do worry what would happen if he found out.

:eek:

3. walnut

walnut Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    How would national service protect our liberty? Pro it's not directly about protecting liberties is teaching discipline and respect far better than getting blathered every night and committing henious crimes, we have never had a society with such freedom and as a consequence there's not enough jails to accomodate all the dross, the prisons couldn't cope with all the vandals and if they could the regime isn't strict enough to act as a deterent. We have had 5 murders in the last 12 months by ferals 3 of them in the last 3 months within a quarter mile radius and numerous severe assaults something needs to be done urgently,many on this forum live in rural areas and only read about these happenings some of us live in the thick of it and suffer the cosequences. :mad:

4. intermiplants

intermiplants Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    what do we do then because no one is getting it right , should me punish the parents as well, im just sick of reading about the kids with knives seen a page on teletext today about how many school children have been caught with knives in the past 12 months and it makes frightening reading.this softly softly approach is getting us no where [​IMG]

5. PeterS

PeterS Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +4,015
    I am interested in the psychology in some of the programs we have on the television such as super nanny and brat camp. The message that comes from these is that:-

1) firm discipline can make a huge difference and can result in a complete turnaround in behaviour and genuine affection for the disciplinarian by the end as well.

2) The cause is always the parents, who have encouraged indiscipline in their children by giving mixed messages. You can include the state in there as well.

3) that discipline at the age of 5,6 and 7 works well. But by the age of 14 its very hard work and by the age of 16 its virtually impossible.

Its such a shame that we can all see the problem but are too frightened to do anything about it.

6. Helofadigger

Helofadigger Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    I have to admit the answer is quite simple dealing with out of control teenagers make the parents pay for their children's appalling behaviour.

Lets face it ASBO's don't work it's just like an award to some of the louts neither does probation or community service but it might just work if it's the parents that have to be put on probation and do community service...imagine the shame if a parent has to don a bright dayglo jacket and pick up the litter in their neighbourhood, I'm pretty sure most wouldn't want to do that again!Hel.xxx.

7. walnut

walnut Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    Spot on Bobj.I see Ricky Hatton has come out to speak about problem with todays youth going out in gangs to to create anti social acts after someone who was in the same pub as him hours before was beaten and left for dead,hopefully someone will listen to him.

8. Lyn

Lyn Gardener

Industrial carpet machinist
    Ratings:
    +77
    I also feel it is down to the parents.
    But like everyone else because of the stupid laws and the do gooders their hands in most cases are tied.
    Whether you are a parent or not you can't touch a child today.
    The law is on their side.
    A friend of ours as a son 14 , he comes from a good home the mother stays at home to look after the younger children the father works.
    He as gone off the rails and started the staying out drinking.
    The father went out to find him late one night.
    He was with a gang of boys and girls drinking.
    He told him to get home the rest of the group laughed at the father.
    Started calling after him throwing things at him.
    He grapped his son and tried to get him into the car.
    The boy said, if you don't leave me I'll ring 999 and tell them your a pedo.
    At this the group got louder and started to close in.
    The father got in his car and went home.
    He called the police but they were not much help because an offence had not been commited
    What would you do ?

9. rosa

rosa Gardener

Ratings:
    +14
    It may be down to the parents after all they brought them into this society but lets be honest even the parents cant, whole heartedly bring too much discipline as they themselves can get caught up with being arrested by their own kids.
    My friends mother of 92 was in our local town centre and had her bag snatched from her just last week, she had over 200 pounds in her purse, badly shaken up, its just teribble they prey on the elderly as they are easy targets

10. Kathy3

Kathy3 Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    I do feel for the teachers who have to cope with this generation,they must be scared to death to look at them the wrong way.to many kids are quick to tell you (Iknow my rights).bring back national service for kids who aren't doing apprenticeships,or at college,make them do something with their lives,and allow parents to chastise their kids,without the threat of social workers calling.I don't mean battering them,although some need it.

11. borrowers

borrowers Gardener

Ratings:
    +48
    blimey, (i keep saying that on here) i am not a swearer by nature (or nurture!!).
    How horrible this world seems. i know of someone who was left with a single parent from a young age. The parent was able to 'handle' any difficulties, the other parent would probably have felt too soft.
    This son is now getting into 'problems' (at school actually), has had a tag etc. His parent is violent too, & advocates 'sticking up for yourself'.
    Without getting into details, this young boy saw a friend stabbed to death, in what the absent parent (not totally absent) thought was a nice neighbourhood.
    Who has the problem? It is going to take a few generations to solve this. I can't see an easy answer, i agree with national service for all actally. It stopped in the 1960 didn't it? Funny that - 2 generations gone & where are we?

Sure this will get some more debate going, not doing it for that though, just my thoughts.

Cheers

12. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +92,076
    Trouble with national sevice is that when they come out they will be trained killers and not self trained killers.
    There is something wrong with the basic makeup of these kids, and it starts from day one.
    Two years training will not alter their brains, I never did national service, but I never went round mugging and knifing people or kicking them to death.

Responsibily for their own actions is lacking, its part of the BSE culture, Blame Somebody Else.
    I think thats a brain disease aswell.
    No one these days takes responsability, its always fobbed off onto someone or something else, until that stops, we will have trouble.
    Lets make it open season on yobs.
    The only good yob, is a dead yob. :D

13. Lyn

Lyn Gardener

Industrial carpet machinist
    Ratings:
    +77
    I think the army teaches most people how to conduct themselves.
    Takes them away from the gangs .
    Gives them a purpose and a training a career for the future.
    It wouldn't help everyone but I think it could do a lot of good for a lot of young people who seem to be losing their way in life.

14. borrowers

borrowers Gardener

Ratings:
    +48
    Pete, I'm sorry but i think national service -properly trained - would be good. i will put up for it too, too old i know. but i would.

i think the key word is 'good'. i'm sure we've all known teachers that are good or, not bad, just not so good.

cheers

15. Pro Gard

Pro Gard Gardener

Ratings:
    +6
    I really cant agree with national service or compulsary colledge/ aprenticeships.

I left school at 16 and imediatly started working driving tractors and milking on a farm, I was also doing a retail job aswell did this for a bit.

I then signed up for an agricultural colledge course then changed my mind 2 months in and swapped to forestry. Sat my chainsaw tickets and did the vocational part working for a forestry firm then quit the course.

Got a job working as an optical technician and did this for two years aswell as farmwork and cash jobs.

I then realised I wanted to spend my life working outdoors and was a very keen ametur gardener so set up self employed at 19 and have never looked back.

Other than chainsaw tickets, spraying tickets and subsequently sitting pestcontrol exams (Im also a qualified pestcontroler) so as to diversify my buisiness Ive no other qualifications other than what I left school with. Not once have i needed or wanted any.

Would I have wanted to be forced to spend two years in the army or further education would I ****.