how safe do you feel

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by intermiplants, Feb 13, 2008.

1. intermiplants

intermiplants Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    pro think your right bet he wouldnt have followed
    her to the police station sounds like a freak
    [​IMG]

2. youngdaisydee

youngdaisydee Gardener

Ratings:
    +5
    Actually thats a good idea inter, if we are being followed/hassled, just walk straight to the police station, mmm never thought of that...

Inter your a c**p dancer [​IMG]

3. intermiplants

intermiplants Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    a insight of just how one woman feels written in the manchester evening news :eek: :eek:
    i shed a tear for the widow and children of gary newlove and for all the victims of the mindless thugs roaming our streets like uncontrollable packs of wild animals i make no excuses for useing the words like thug yob,moron ect and im not classing all young people the same i know they are a minority.i know many good young teenagers but these morons are a breed apart and should be treated as such. liberty and sir aynsley green are saying the use of mosquito noise devices is an infridgement of their human rights. what about my human rights?as a law abiding citizen of this country for over 65 years i thought i had some.the right to live a normal life in my own home the right to be able to walk down my street safely and the right to be able to protect my family and my property the right to be able to travel on a bus ,tram or train safely. why should i be scared to ask a youngster not to kick the wing mirrors off my car or jump on the bonnet? why should i take a long detour around the streets to avoid a gang when i want to pop out for a pint of milk at 6pm?why should i have to close my curtains just before dusk so as not to attract attention and risk the abuse and stone throwing?why can i not do a bit of gardening on a lovely summers evening in case the gang goes past?why cant i ask 4 or 5 of them not to urinate in broad daylight against my garden gate? because ,im scared , not only of them but also the lack of response and back up i can expect if i try and get help. i am not usually scared of anything or anyone but on a equal basis i am scared of being kicked to death by a gang of drud,drink fuelled louts who think a black tracksuit and a hood make them invincible. and it seems they are because the police either cant or wont deal with them ringing to report incident is a joke. i feel sorry for the police support officers who are doing the dirty work for the police without the rewards. they are on the front line whilst the real police are rarely seen. they say they do not have the laws to deal with petty crimes.have they not heard of behaving in a manner likely to cause breach of peace? the real culprits for the deterioration of our society are the powers that be for pandering to the minority groups of p c brigades and do gooders who spend our money dreaming up crazy ideas to turn morons into good citizens, the money should be spent on a few more real policemen. i would also make the parents or guardians of these kids answerable in court for failing to supervise their children. i would also stop all supermarkets and corner shops selling alcohol. i have worked hard all my life, and looked foward to my retirement, ive earned it, but wish now its here i almost wish it wasnt [​IMG] .... thats not right..

4. youngdaisydee

youngdaisydee Gardener

Ratings:
    +5
    That statement makes me sad inter, and mad, its happening all over the country, but the politicians dont walk in our shoes, so it doesen't effect them personnally, maybe they should try it! as an experiment really.. for about errm the rest of there lives...( HA!)

5. walnut

walnut Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    It is very sad she hit the nail on the head when she said the parents or guardians of these ferals should be made accountable, last week the parents of two of the covicted murders of Gary Newlove were bleating that there kids were all right really and made one mistake, i'll say a mistake with tragic lifelong consequences and they consider they had brought them up all right up to the point of the murder, they didn't notice they were on drink and drugs and staying out all night some parents in my oppinion there lies the problem.

6. cajary

cajary Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    Hmm. All very interesting. Still don't see how you blame the parents.( remember, the most important influence is their mates!) In our area we have parents who march their kids to school and make sure they're in there and then get a call from the Police that they've been nicked at midday. You'll have 3 kids in the family, 2 behave conventionally and 1 goes off the rails. The disruption to the working life of the parent is considerable and makes it difficult to hold down a job. Then you'll all moan about single parents on benefits. I think you're being simplistic about this. Just an opinion [​IMG]

7. walnut

walnut Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    I am going to stick my neck out on this one Caj said Still don't see how you blame the parents the rot started years ago when women went to work we struggled when first married I was the only earner my wife brought our 2 great children up we was determined not to let the state or other people bring them up the result is 2 well adjusted adults, they had their moments when they were teens but with us being close got over them kids these days are farmed out at an earl stage in their lives some in the nursery at 3 where they don't receive the one to one attention that kids of this age need,yes there is peer pressure at this age kids fighting for attention that they don't get off their working parents because they are too busy,this attention seeking leads to the start of bullying in many cases,the reason many women went to work because they wanted a bigger house, a car of their own, more holidays and that's their perogative but the problem is when they want to put kids into this situation they have inflicted upon themselves the result the kids suffer they are given their own way to appease them not chastised when they most need it,some women are now changing there minds and wanting to stop work and stay at home but finding the self imposed financial restraints prevent them from doing so.

8. Lyn

Lyn Gardener

Industrial carpet machinist
    Ratings:
    +77
    Walnut , I do agree with you.
    I have always believed a child should be with it's mother.
    For all sorts of reasons.
    Some children are farmed out and left to grow up.
    Or become latch key kids ,coming home to an empty house and left for hours to do what they will.
    Different rules at different places.
    Very confusing for them.
    They are let down by their parents.
    Can't do this or take you there, can't go to the school play or parents evening because they are working.
    They give faulse promises to keep them quiet.
    Then let them down.
    I no some will not agree with this but it's my opinion.
    And always as been.
    Discipline should be dished out at the time not hours later when the parent can find time.
    If you have to work to keep a roof over your head so be it, but if it's for holidays cars etc I think it's wrong.
    A holiday cannot replace the attention and love of a full time Mum.
    You may say very old fashioned but I think bringing up a child should be.
    I don't like this modern way.

9. intermiplants

intermiplants Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    all intresting [​IMG] ;) when i started this topic i knew we would never ever get the answers just wanted all your views and points on this from all people and all ages. i would also like to ask some of the older members did kids walk the streets smashing things up lets say 40 50 60 years ago. its not bad where i live but i bet i only have to travel a mile in any direction and i will see a bus shelter ,smashed or the timetable ripped off the post,or a phone box smashed [​IMG]

10. Kathy3

Kathy3 Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    now I am speaking from experience,
    I DO BLAME THE PARENTS
    i was lucky enough to have two great boys,never had a moments worry over their behaviour,they were brought up in the same way strict,but fair they new right from wrong.
    now they have both married and have two kids each.the older son has a girl of 20 who has been an absolute nightmare, she now has a baby of her own,she has never had a job and never would her mother allow you or anyone to chastise her.
    her brother is also a waste of space,he has been in bother with the police since an early age.
    i have tried to be a good Gran,but you cant fight city hall,my other son has a boy and a girl
    ones at uni,also has a part time job ,his own car,gets his holidays,enjoying his teenage years
    the girl is at college,also works,has her own car.
    two lovely kids,they both have family values
    and wouldn't dream of acting like their cousins.
    it just would not go down with their parents.
    both were full time mums,so it has nothing to do with that.you have to be BOTHERED to check them when they are young,and don't give in for peace sake,thats rubbish.

11. intermiplants

intermiplants Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    good on you kathy [​IMG] ive got 5 brothers we been a likkle bit of bother for my mum but not much as we can still feel the wooden spoon on the back of our heads from 25 years ago. think my father was to blame for our trouble he brought us up never to be bullied and to look after ourselves so if any of us came home crying after a fight or trouble with any older kids my dad wouldnt let us in the house untill we won not right i know but looking back it taught us a good lesson of looking after orselves. every sunday my dad would make us walk a mile and a half to the pub on a sunday and walk my late grandad home from the pub we had to hold his hand as he would be half cut. i always asked my dad why he got so drunk on a sunday and we had to walk grandad home. my dad said he worked all his life and he earned it.so with that we have all grown up to look after ourselves take no s..t and to respect the elderley . we was taught from day to get off our butts and get a job asap ,dad calls it the sink or swim method. it worked we all work the twins have gone to uni and work part time . my pensioners next door dont have to put the bin out i do it, they dont have to have a gardener i do it ..if they want anything from the shop i do it , and if she cant cope and he getting too much i take him for a little walk down the canal and feed the ducks , its all about respect . we had a little get together and went up to bury town cntr yesterday and had a few beers .the pub was full of kids 16 17 18 and mothers (or suppose to be mothers) it was hammered with em and they had no intention of working and if you had to interview one you would fall over laughin..hey but lets just sit back and take it..the old folk who won the war let the thugs pay em back with a mugging or a robbery....makes me sick. only reason we didnt march a few to the job cntr is that we know right from wrong. and one unshaven tracksuit cant work wont work lazy youth asked culd he have a cig he nearly got a thick ear [​IMG] [​IMG] ;)

12. cajary

cajary Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    Walnut, I agree with most of what you say but the world has changed, we're never going back to those days. Imp. I was a child of those times. Yes we did use catapults to smash peoples G/houses. Yes we did throw bricks through peoples windows and run away. Yes we did set fire to cars (via the petrol tanks) Yes we did nick from Woolworths. Yes we did get into fights when we were "tooled up". Yes we did use drugs (mainly alcohol or Purple hearts) and all the parents in those days were strict! We all got hit for any minor infringement. It didn't stop us. I got caned at school for shouting or for running down the corridors or for bad hand-writing or for anything that annoyed the teacher. It just makes you more determined to carry on with what you're doing. Sorry guys, discipline, like that, doesn't work. The attitude of your peer group is what works. [​IMG]

13. Helofadigger

Helofadigger Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    I may have said this before if the parents have good moral values then these in turn will be passed on to their children.

I think the problem is in today's society is that there are far too many families being brought up by state benefits and most spend this 'free' money on drugs, drink etc.

Quite a few of both mine and hubbie's kin have had an easy life some making a career out of benefits...it's really quite disgusting when you come to think about it and as for they children well they all need a good kick up the a*rse if you ask me!

Bob and I on the other hand (well Bob at least) used to work 60 hours a week with very little sleep and still have time to take our boys out at the weekend. Both our boys are in higher education of which the rest of the family believe we are total snobs for allowing our sons to have the leeway to have a better living than them.

If you find time for at least one parent to encourage their child to develop into a moral respecting individual then not only will the parent benefit from all their own hard work but society will do so too. Hel.xxx.

14. walnut

walnut Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    Looks like your gang were the start of all our troubles Caj I don't know were you lived but that wasn't the norm for us,I was brought up in a mining community large families some poverty kids got up to mischief(nothing on the scale of what you did) what we did have was respect played communual games (piggy was a favourite)nobody got murdered,the men mostly miners got drunk at weekends it was their right as they put it to wash the dust down they were harmless,thats the big difference no gangs went round murdering people.

15. rosa

rosa Gardener

Ratings:
    +14
    inter 40 years ago when i was 12, i never roamed the streets i had to be in at nights, kids these days are out wandering the streets, so i guess to answer this yes the parents are to blame, mind a lot of parents are working and i would assume left on their own to fend for themselves.
    i couldnt do what i likes going on 18, live in your parents house follow the rules, but i guess my parents were protective and we were never left alone, mind my parents never went out drinking the way some of the parents do today.
    I see a lot of parents here taking their kids to pubs and sitting their all day even till 8 pm at night in certain pubs and i dont agree with that, its ok iff their going for a meal thats different, but to sit and get drunk with little ones totally wrong