How to get rid of foxes from the garden.

Discussion in 'Pests, Diseases and Cures' started by kels, May 26, 2012.

1. kels

kels Gardener

Ratings:
    +27
    Gosh have just read all your posts..many thanks for ALL your replies.
    I for one cannot use anything that is a problem to cats.The cats cannot go next door and use the front I prefer they didnt very busy rd at certain times of the day..Only found this out when we moved in..nearly a month ago. So will try other methods what ever happens..we half to get rid of them scare them off ..what ever it takes as I have said they have come upto the back door.They only ran off then as I opened the passage door.

2. Madahhlia

Madahhlia Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +3,090
    I was told this weekend about a lady who got rid of foxes by spreading her own urine about the place. Cheap and readily on tap, as it were. I know which method I'd pick!

Thinking about it, I get fewer foxes now due to the simple expedient of nailing down the loose fence slat that they used to enter by. They can't be bothered to jump over a fence, let alone a lazy dog.

3. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +48,708
    Just noticed this week that foxes have re-appeared in my garden, same as in previous years the cubs come in early in the morning and play about, biting plant labels and moving stuff around. I haven't seen them yet and usually they are not a big problem to me. Some years they can get destructive running through my veg patch and rolling on the potatoes and onions. In the past I've made a scare-crow at the point where I think they access my garden. I'm only trying to stop them getting on my veg patch, I think stopping them altogether would be impossible.

4. kels

kels Gardener

Ratings:
    +27
    The fences are pretty low about 3 foot ish at either side. Its about 12 foot solid at the bottom of the property. No fences just light wire fences we are in the process of putting up 6.6 foot panel fencing either side.So hopefully they wont jump over that..not sure if they have jumped that height before.But when its finished we will no soon enough.After the fence is up there is no way into the back of the property except through the bungalow or a side gate which is 8 foot x4 foot. Unless of course they are good at showjumping

5. clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
    +19,596
    I'm afraid with foxes, it is not so much a matter of whether or not they can get over an obstacle as under it. I guess just makes sure there's no gaps at the bottom of the fence. They'll dig under if they're determined to be in, but unless you keep chucks, they're not likely to go to the effort.

6. james swann

james swann Gardener

Ratings:
    +141
    Had a problem with foxes in my gatden once. Shot them with a none lethal .22 no problems enough to stun them and warn them off without harming them whilst also showing your the dominant species

7. clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
    +19,596
    I hate to be the one to put a downer on things, but if you're going to shoot, it should be for a clean kill. Otherwise the animal is likely to run away wounded and in pain, and there's a chance the wound will become infected and ultimately kill the animal anyway.

I should say I have no love for foxes, I've seen what they do, but if you shoot them, the most humane option is to shoot to kill.

Remember, there's no such thing as a non-lethal .22. There was a tragic case in the news a few years ago where a teenaged lad, not even yet in his prime, accidentally shot himself in the chest with a .22 air gun belonging to a friend or relative. It was only a nick, but it caught a major artery and he bled to death.

• Like Like x 2
    • james swann

james swann Gardener

Ratings:
      +141
      I dont.mean to sound rude and sorry but ive accidently shot myself in the foot with my .22 from about a foot away. Hurtike crazy but no more than a bruise and it isnt exactly a weak gun. And id agree, yes a clean kill would be better however this would require licenses for electronic trappng or full use shotgun but even then good luck not destroyingg everything else in the garden

If the fox does die, it will die. its registered as a pest so beit. Im not heartless, if i did wound it severely and i was able to id finish it off.

Regs the rest of the reply please dont talk down and be patronising its not. Very nice

• ClaraLou

ClaraLou Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +2,730

Urban foxes in my area quite happily scramble over six foot fences and more. They've also been known to sunbathe on shed roofs. They don't cause many problems, apart from stinking the place out and leaving us little 'presents', as long as rubbish is put away properly. It's rare for foxes to attack cats and generally a healthy cat can defend itself quite well.

Guns ... I have strong views regarding the gun-happy, having once lived close to an air rifle enthusiast.

• kels

kels Gardener

Ratings:
      +27
      Guns I don't think so.. I grew up in Africa were guns are a way of life there. I came back home to England to get away from that. Wish I new what has attracted them? We have a huge garden at the back we have cut back about 95% of it.We intend fencing it all off as mentioned previously. Its surrounded by other smaller gardens which is why it seems strange they came into ours. Anyways we intend to cut one area back another 15-20 foot (back of patio wall) leaving a a few trees were we can see whats inside there. Plus one other section which is above the patio wall which is 30 foot long and about 30-40 foot wide.Ive been clearing & cutting this back slowly for about 3 weeks. Some of the plants shrubs will be moved to the front in time once the ground is prepared. I have found out that this section has not been touched for at least 7-9 yrs just left to grow. I found a very old rose amongst it all, so have slowed down the clearing process to protect this rose which I have put in the ID section. Too be honest since we have stared clearing this patio section.We haven't seen any foxes in the last two weeks. So fingers crossed clearing this mess slowly away..will keep them away will keep you posted.

• Like Like x 1
      • ClaraLou

ClaraLou Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +2,730
        Having a clear out might be enough to deter them a bit, Kels. They like overgrown, undisturbed patches of ground. We had a whole family of foxes next door one year, when the house was unoccupied. There was a large shed in the garden and a group of particularly stupid workmen had broken the lock on the door because they couldn't be bothered with it. The foxes took up residence; sometimes I used to see them sitting inside. All they needed was a tv. Now that the house is occupied, I see them more rarely. They will go through rubbish bags - you can't blame them for wanting a free meal - so I have invested in a dustbin with a strong lid that clips in place.

As to what attracted them ... I think foxes have just decided that life in the towns and suburbs is easier than existing in the countryside! There are fewer people who want to kill them, for a start. And humans have a habit of leaving handy snacks in bins ...

• Like Like x 3
        • kels

kels Gardener

Ratings:
          +27
          Thanks Clare.. One of the first things we did in the first week of moving in was check the garden the fences for holes & any type of wild life.In the first two days we found moles/holes & hills on one bit lol. We think it was the same fox that came back a couple of times there also seemed to be a fair few frogs. Since we have attacked a blackberry plant that had started on a 20 foot length of fencing that was put up near the bottom of the garden.(which over the years spread along the ground covering about quarter of the back garden on one side)We have spent about 2 weeks working on that on & off.Since we have started clearing all the grass & weeds around that.Then started to cut back & kill this blooming plant the frogs are far less. Actually we saw only two yesterday. This is a big project but we are slowly getting there..thank goodness:yahoo:

• Like Like x 1
          • simbad

simbad Total Gardener

Ratings:
            +3,318
            Hope you find a solution kels, we have a pair that visit our garden regularly, mainly to drink from the pond, know last year they had cubs too, heard them calling in the night, freeeeaky sound, must say I don't mind them they don't do any damage, but we do have a big rabbit problem and they help keep the numbers down.

• Like Like x 1