1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

How would you improve this Aspidistra?

Discussion in 'Other Plants' started by Krista, Jan 12, 2019.

1. Mike Allen

Mike Allen Total Gardener

Retired. Plant Pathologist.
    Ratings:
    +6,097
    Member of the Lily family. Requires peat based loam (Acidic). Dislikes direct sunlight. Prefers humid conditions, similar to ferns. Repot every 4-5 yrs in spring/early summer. Split/divide at the same time. Limescale inside pot may suggest the water is on the alkaline side of the pH scale.

2. Krista

Krista Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +26
    TY Verdun-all good basic plant-care I guess. :star: I have it for a about 3 more weeks so I can water and watch how greedily it drinks,or not as the case maybe. So far I think under-watering is part of the problem. I`ll ask when it`s compost was last changed then give her advice on repotting. My friend is blind so it`s not as easy for her to tell when the plant needs more water;it requires her to remember to check quite often with her fingers-easy to forget, when you like plants but you`re not necessarily an avid indoor plant-lover. But people(and she is no exception) will insist on putting their pot plants in fancy outer pots which does make watching plant drinking habits so much more difficult!

• Like Like x 1
    • Krista

Krista Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
      +26
      Hi Mike, your reply just popped up-TY. We are Londoners,the water is groaning with limescale and the inside of the pot IS coated! Propbably not helping!! Can`t see her going to the trouble of catching rainwater and watering with that somehow. But a cleaned pot and a bit of peat based compost will do it good-in the spring- putting your advice and Verdun`s together.Dividing is def. not on the cards yet but who knows with all this good advice? It`s usually me giving her plants but maybe in a year or two I`ll be getting an Apspidistra root.:yahoo:

• Like Like x 1