Hozelock Hose Reel query

Discussion in 'Tools And Equipment' started by Val.., Jul 10, 2013.

1. pamsdish

pamsdish Total Gardener

Retired
    "Black Country Wench" in Margam,Port Talbot,Wales
    Ratings:
    +4,445
    I Love You Tube, for the diy unsure (me) it`s great. :huh:

• Agree Agree x 1
    • shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
      Ratings:
      +122,455
      Interesting video, Val :blue thumb:

I have one of those reels (had it a long time) but don't remember fitting it like that :doh:. Must be a senior moment (or years) :old: :heehee:. I guess it came with instructions and I just followed them so didn't take any of it into permanent memory.

I have two long hose reels (50m each) fixed on reels on the wall and one of those compact reels with a 30m length on it. The compact reel is used as an extension reel when I need to reach further into the garden. none of them leak unless a connector is beginning to fail.

It's surprising how the connectors tend to fail in different ways but it then gives me a collection of spare parts as I can cobble things together.

Kristen
      I'm not quite sure what you mean about stop-end connectors reducing flow :scratch:. I have them on all the hoses and when I take an attachment off it the water stops completely. Are you saying that it reduces the flow, when open, more than a normal connector? That might go towards answering something that has puzzled me. I was recently given a new pressure washer (by Wickes :blue thumb: as the motor of the one I bought from them two years ago had packed up) and, in the instructions, it said that it shouldn't be connected by a stop-end connector. Maybe it's because they think the stop-end might reduce the flow too much - but that seems an illogical deduction as they say the washer can be run from a water butt!

• Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
      +12,668
      Yup. There is quite a lot of "gubbins" in the flow. I need to do a subjective "timed bucket-filling test" though.

If your hoses are 50M you'd be much better off with 3/4" rather than 1/2"

Using 100M of hose 1/2" takes 85% longer to fill a bucket, 3/4" only 20% longer.
      http://gardenerscorner.co.uk/forum/threads/geka-vs-hozelock-hose-fiittings.33636/#post-437336

• shiney

Ratings:
      +122,455
      Thanks for the info. I think I'll stick to my 50m hoses as the length of time it takes to do the watering is unimportant when using a sprinkler. It is probably more eco-friendly in my case because I don't always remember to turn the sprinkler off when I should. So running longer than intendedwon't use as much water.

• Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
      +12,668
      3/4" with more pressure would probably cover a larger area (if that would be helpful?), and thus the sprinkler need moving less often. No help if you point it at specific areas though, of course.

You need a water timer. Hoselock do a nice clockwork one, if you can still find it (I think they've discontinued it, but I've seen it on eBay & Amazon), the cheap Chinese imitations are useless IME

• shiney

Ratings:
      +122,455
      Thanks Kristen, you guessed correctly about pointing it at specific areas. Until my main sprinkler started giving me problems, it covered just the right area - it could do both veggie areas at the same time. The other sprinkler covers just one veggie area but doesn't have an even coverage (it cost less than £3.50 in a trade warehouse - an offer I couldn't refuse :heehee:).

Yesterday I had delivered the Gardena 350/2 that you recommended as I thought that an adjustable width as well as depth would come in handy :blue thumb:. It was on offer - only a £5 reduction, with no postage cost. Their website says it's discontinued.

I don't really need more pressure as it's pretty good here.

I've thought about using a timer but decided that I don't want to add any more complications to doing things (quote:- Mrs Shiney - "Not another gadget!!!" :doh: :heehee:) . The time I leave the sprinkler on an area depends on how the weather changes during the sprinkling period (if it changes from very hot, sunny, cloudy etc).

• Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
      +12,668
      She's right. The cheap plastic connectors leak at the tap connection, and at the hose connection, and after some use and/or being left out for the winter their internals leak.

I have bought cheap and expensive and none of them have been worth the money. I don't need my watering to come on at 6pm every day ... or even at 6pm every Wednesday ... but I do appreciate the tap being turned off when I forget :)

We are in the process of uprating our garden irrigation (50KL rainwater harvesting tank) and my intention is to install an industrial quality volume metre - that will switch off after X gallons have been delivered, which suits me as easier to irrigate on the basis of litres/plant.

• shiney

Ratings:
      +122,455
      My watering is a lot less scientific. I water until I think it's enough. A couple of days later I check to see what the soil is like. If it's too dry I water again. If it's still damp I check a couple of days later. Seems to work OK :heehee:

• Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
      +12,668
      I watered the hedges yesterday. Water pressure / rate limits the length of leaky hose to about 40M, so it has to be done in sections, about 1.5 hours per section. We have 12 such sections to do ... I couldn't reliably do it without a timer!

Then there are the plants to do ... and the veg ...

• shiney

Ratings:
      +122,455
      As I don't have as much to do as you, it all gets done - eventually. The front flower beds get done in 11 sections which gets done in about two days. Actually less time than that but the hosepipe is out there for that amount of time (just take off the sprinkler and the shut off works - and connect the other sprinkler in the back garden). In this sort of hot weather it needs doing about once a week.

The back garden is done in 9 sections but, as a lot of that is under tree cover it doesn't need to be done so frequently. The veggie area gets done once a week but gets about four hours.

The greenhouse, pots, baskets, nursery areas etc get watered by hand held hosepip every day. Using the hand held hosepipe only reduces the spread of the sprinklers by about 25%.