Hydrangea Problems

Discussion in 'Pests, Diseases and Cures' started by weas3l, Jun 14, 2024.

1. NigelJ

NigelJ Total Gardener

Mad Scientist
    Ratings:
    +22,827
    Years ago I planted three gooseberries over winter, two thrived over the following summer the other struggled and wilted and sulked; this one had an ants nest around the roots, they'd loosened all the soil and improved the drainage massively, I dealt with it by regularly putting a watering can full of water on the roots, the ants vacated and the next year the gooseberry was fine.
    Ants like dry conditions, the advice for ants in the compost heap was to give it a good soaking and keep damp.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
      Ratings:
      +93,106
      Ants loosen the soil around roots, so they dont actually attack the plant but do cause root problems and can kill pot plants.
      Is this plant actually alive or has it died, a picture would speak a thousand words on something like this.:smile:

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • ViewAhead

ViewAhead Head Gardener

South of the South Downs, north of the sea!
        Ratings:
        +3,897
        Thanks, @NigelJ and @pete. I did wonder how ants managed to make plants look so miserable, sometimes in the ground, sometimes in pots. My tactic has usually been to soak the rootball and replant elsewhere, with pretty good results.

• Palustris

Palustris Total Gardener

Retired
        Ratings:
        +3,075
        The other problem with ants is that they massively acidify the soil. Their formic acid secretion is very strong.

• Informative Informative x 2
        • fairygirl

fairygirl Total Gardener

retired
          Ratings:
          +5,144
          More info is needed. If fuchsias are also failing, it suggests the site is too hot and sunny, and the pots are drying out. They like similar conditions to hydrangeas, although it's always variable with varieties etc. In the ground, it's easier for them to manage if properly established, because the roots can reach and access moisture from further away. A pot is completely different, and even sun loving plants that like good drainage need watering regularly.

What size is the pot in relation to the plant, and what is the pot made of? Terracotta dries out more rapidly than glazed material, for example. Anything planted long term needs a soil based medium, as compost isn't enough. As already said, a plant can dry out very quickly once there's foliage covering a lot of the surface area. It takes a bit of effort to rehydrate the soil mix - either plunging the whole thing into a container until no bubbles appear, or standing it in a tray of some kind and watering until no more water is taken up from the tray. The fact you're seeing ants coming out of the base regularly also suggests the soil is very dry, as that's their main preference for making a nest.

As long as there's a drainage hole at the base of the pot, it's virtually impossible to overwtaer either of those plants. :smile:

Last edited: Jun 15, 2024
        • IrishNewBuild

IrishNewBuild Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
          +0
          hi all - first post and new to the forum. Sorry for the stupid question to start my life here.....

here goes ....

so we planted our first ever set of hydrangea (s). LIDL was doing an offer - my wife was obsessed so off we went.

the soil is good PH (bought a reliable test kit :) ) , well drained but it is an exposed corner of the house. It gets lots of sunlight but we are quiet near the shore (albeit behind houses and in a field if that makes sense) and so my question to you all is....... is this the wind causing the brown leaves? or lack of water or both? Ive been watering them daily deep into the roots.

Thoughts?

Attached Files:

• ViewAhead

ViewAhead Head Gardener

Ratings:
          +3,897
          Hello ... and welcome. :)

That does look quite an exposed situation for hydrangeas. They like shade, though some morning sun is usually tolerated, and fairly sheltered. However much you water them, in a windy situation the leaves will suffer.

• Agree Agree x 1
          • Palustris

Palustris Total Gardener

Retired
            Ratings:
            +3,075
            You would get more help if you started up a new posting rather than tacking your question on to the end of an existing one.
            That definitely does look like an exposed site for Hydrangeas.

• Pete8

Pete8 Gardener

Retired
            Ratings:
            +1,088
            I'm afraid they will never thrive in such an exposed position and will probably not last long there no matter how much you water.
            They grow best somewhere with some shelter. Sun for a few hours is fine, but yours will get baked.
            The salty atmosphere is unlikely to suit them too.
            Frosty or chilly winds will dry and damage the leaf buds in spring.
            Sorry...

• Agree Agree x 2
            • Like Like x 1
            • AnniD

AnniD Gardener

Ratings:
              +599
              Hate to add to the list, but I agree. Do you have anywhere else on your plot that is shady and with suitable soil ?
              If there is somewhere suitable I would suggest moving them and therefore keeping your wife happy @IrishNewBuild :smile:.

• IrishNewBuild

IrishNewBuild Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
              +0
              thanks all for your prompt and very helpful feedback. Its a new self build so we are trying to create areas of scrubbery and plants but its hard in an exposed 2 acre site. I do have something in mind for the hydragenas close to the house and a bay window which would give some shelter and sun light....

does anyone know of a hearty plant (has to be white) :) - as per the boss , that would grow in such an exposed area then?

• Pete8

Pete8 Gardener

Retired
              Ratings:
              +1,088
              Whatever you plant there will need to be kept well watered until it's settled in.
              I just had a look on Crocus for some suggestions for white flowered plants for exposed areas near the coast and it came up with these two-

Olearia macrodonta - New Zealand holly

Olearia × haastii - daisy bush

Sea Holly (Eryngium) would also do well there
              There are lots of silvery shrubs that would also work such as Elaeagnus 'Quicksilver'.
              Many silver leafed plants are well suited to exposed conditions.

• ViewAhead

ViewAhead Head Gardener

Ratings:
              +3,897
              Most shrubs only flower for 3-6 weeks. Hydrangeas and fuchsias are exceptions, but both dislike exposed conditions and full sun.

You could try Spirea Snowmound, which will grow to about 6' and arch forwards. Or one of the Philadelphus varieties. Both flower in late spring and then don't do a lot for the rest of the yr. Neither are evergreen.

As it looks like quite a big space, you have room to put in a hedge. If you go for something evergreen, it will act as a windbreak making the rest of the area an easier option for planting. Escallonia shrubs are fine in coastal areas. These are evergreen and have white or pink flowers, depending on the variety.

• Agree Agree x 1
                Last edited: Jul 19, 2024
              • AnniD

AnniD Gardener

Ratings:
                +599
                @IrishNewBuild , I agree with @ViewAhead , if you can create some shelter with a hedge or hedges, it will definitely help any other plants that you grow. Some ideas here.
                Hedging for Exposed Sites Guide

If the hedge is green, any white plants will "pop" against it, whereas if they are just planted in a similar style to the hydrangeas they may look "bleached out" and just disappear as it were.

I think your best plan is to sit down with a pencil and paper (old school), or find an online garden designer programme (modern way), and draw your plot to scale.

Work out the sunny and shadier areas and buy a soil tester kit online or from a garden centre. Test the soil in more than one area, as it's possible it may be different.

Next work out a basic design, personally I would start with the hedge(s). They might not be the most exciting things in the world of gardening, but they will immediately give you planting areas and hopefully attract wildlife. Even the smallest hedging plants will give you an immediate effect and show you how it will look in the future.
                A lot depends on your budget, you might want to go for smaller plants in just one area. Bear in mind that soil preparation is vital, and you will need to keep them well watered, especially in such an exposed position.

Remember a garden is something that's always evolving and is never finished (35 years here and I'm still tweaking things). I have had several new build plots over the years (although nothing as exposed as yours), and I can appreciate the desire to fill it ASAP, but preparation is the key.
                There is no such thing as a silly question (believe me, I've tried :biggrin: ), and you will find plenty of people willing to give you advice here :smile:.

• Agree Agree x 1
                • amancalledgeorge

amancalledgeorge Super Gardener

Ratings:
                  +899
                  I'd also add as a candidate some white flowering rugosa roses, they don't mind salty environments and are tough as anything and create nice hedges that can be trimmed if needed, after flowering

• Agree Agree x 1