I HATE SLUGS

Discussion in 'Pests, Diseases and Cures' started by shiney, Jul 20, 2007.

1. shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
    Ratings:
    +122,455
    Hi Comber
    I thought about them hiding under the weed supressant plastic, which some do, but they are all over the garden. We see just as many marching across our patio which is over 200ft from the beans and they completely ate ten courgette plants that were in another veggie plot that isn't covered in the plastic. They have totally ignored the tomato plants that also grow through the plastic and are alongside the beans so I presume they don't like tomatoes.

Although we have had some problem with slugs in other years it has only been a slight nuisance.

The birds in our garden are too well fed to bother with slugs and neither us nor our neighbours (not many of us as we have fields around us) have ponds. We used to have a pond years ago but there a a lot of herons around and we have a giant willow tree that used to poison the pond with its leaves. It was too much hard work to keep the pond netted and keep clearing the leaves off the netting.

We have been here 35 years and this is the first time we have had so much trouble.

I feel a lot better now that I have had my rant :D :D

Mrs shiney is out on slug patrol now.

2. lottielou

lottielou Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I was speaking to someone who works on an organic farm and every night they go out and cut about 1000 slugs in half! Slugs are carnivores so they leave the dead slugs away from the veg which is meant to distract them away.

I've given up on any slug type veg this year but I shall certainly try Nemaslug next year. I considered putting copper round my raised beds but I imagine many slugs live in the soil don't they? Has anyone had success using copper in this way? Otherwise I'll just have to put all their favourite foods in pots with copper on.

3. Liz

Liz Gardener

Ratings:
    +65
    Shiney, I really feel for you.
    Reading this forum over the past 18 months I think slugs and snails are the biggest problem on here!
    This year I think the very wet weather has made life easier for the horrors.
    There doesn't seem to be any complete answer. I couldn't do as BM does and cut them in half, I'm too squeamish. Copper and Nemaslug seem to work but are expensive to use.

4. walnut

walnut Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    Perhaps this is one slug you should encourage in the garden,the shelled slugs (scientifically called Testacella) are very odd animals. Up to two inches long and rather broad in the beam they are yellowish-white and on their tail end is perched a small ear-shaped shell up to half an inch long. They burrow into soil and are predatory, feeding on earthworms and other slugs. They like rich well-manured soils and usually turn up in gardens.

5. Kandy

Kandy Will be glad to see the sun again soon.....

Head gardener
    Ratings:
    +6,543
    Shiney can we do a swop please?You can have my snails and i'll have your slugs.I can't cut them in half but I have found that the little blue slug pellets are the best thing as they are attracted to them and then they are dead. :D

I am fed up with losing all my plants to these horrible pests,slugs or snails. :mad:

I notice that in your photo on the right hand side you have one of the shelled pests :D

Good luck with your new plants because I know from what you have said in the past you grow the beans for your customers and that the money goes to the worthwhile cause of that particular year :cool:

6. shiney

Ratings:
    +122,455
    Thanks everyone

Liz,
    our vegetable area is too big to use copper and I would guess that it is too big to use nemaslug.

Some friends say that their birds seem to help by eating the slugs but our birds are too well fed to bother. Does anyone know which birds like to eat slugs?

walnut,
    I saw one of those on the patio the other day. Do they just eat the other slugs so that they can have my runner beans to themselves? [​IMG] :D

Kandy,
    I've already told people that there won't be any veggie donations to charity. Last year we sold about �£250 worth of veggies. I hope our fruit does better this year but I'm not holding my breathe.

7. walnut

walnut Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    Shiney your beans would be safe they are strictly carnivourous, they may be an alternative to the nematodes you can buy for getting rid of slugs,now that would be something actually buying slugs for the garden.

8. Comber gardener

Comber gardener Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Shiney
    Just for info. The place I buy from sells a standard pack of Nemaslug which treats 40sqm at �£9.99. Large pack treats 100 sqm. (�£19.99). It's expensive as it needs to be applied every 6 weeks (although I would find there is less of a problem once plants gets past that young tender stage).

9. shiney

Ratings:
    +122,455
    Thanks walnut and Comber

10. AndyK

AndyK Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    along the same lines as my snails comment, i like to throw slugs off my fruit and veg patch at the fence at the bottom of the garden, they should have a bad enough headache to finish them off I hope! otherwise i stab them with a stick and watch them squirm!

11. Comber gardener

Comber gardener Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    [​IMG]

Hope this works because I haven't posted a photo before.
    I was out in my polytunnel this morning and came across this little darling... and I have seen bigger ones in there. I left it on the bird table after taking its pic next to a �£1 coin. That was 1/2 an hour ago and none of the birds seem to be interested. Worse still the bird table is only about 10 yards from the tunnel, so I am just hoping it hasn't made its way back in while I've been giving it all this publicity!