I know I should be enjoying the hot weather but.....

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by Jungle Jane, Jul 16, 2013.

1. shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
    Ratings:
    +122,475
    Sheal, it would tend to be a bit humid up your way but you're sitting in a giant puddle (Irish Sea) :snork:. Humid OK, warm OK, hot sort of OK, HOT and Humid not OK :). The temperature was well in the 30's today and it was extremely sticky. Mrs Shiney was feeling exhausted because of it - and they're forcasting it to be hotter today.

Allan, we definitely don't want that sort of heat. They live in desert! Deserts are fine - in the right place :heehee:

I enjoy visiting and travelling through deserts and deserted areas, but I don't want to live there :biggrin:

This is a thread I put up some years ago. I've been to many more deserted areas since then but haven't posted them.

http://gardenerscorner.co.uk/forum/threads/shineys-deserts.25102/

• Like Like x 1
    • "M"

"M" Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +31,885
      But, is it supposed to be *this* hot? (And sticky, and airless and requiring undignified poses as an attempt to keep all parts as aired as humanly possible? )

At least in the colder weather you can put extra bits on to keep warm: in the heat, there is a limit to how much you can take off to keep cool

• Agree Agree x 5
      • Jungle Jane

Jungle Jane Middle Class Twit Of The Year 2005

Local Nutcase
        Ratings:
        +3,225
        I remember when I used to work as a gardener as a living. You would find this time of the year most people wouldn't want to use you as they would rather do it themselves. You're still busy, but not as busy as spring leading up to summer.

• JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
        +48,997
        I thought it was the other way round, it's generally more humid in the North which makes for the uncomfortable stickiness :dbgrtmb:

• nFrost

nFrost Head Gardener

Leachate Treatment Plant Manager
        Ratings:
        +2,908
        Yeah, quite humid last few days. Can't bear it when trying to garden and make tea (food) and sort out the baby and household chores, if I sit down that's it...game over. I won't be standing up again!

Feeling aggered today already!

• Agree Agree x 1
        • strongylodon

strongylodon Old Member

Retired
          Ratings:
          +29,477
          It is (roughly) the same temperature here as it is in Crete where my brother lives, the difference is that there it was (28c) in June and will be around 35/40c next month.
          They have air con which makes a difference. A couple of weeks there is ok but I wouldn't want to live there!

• Allan Hodgson

Allan Hodgson Gardener

Processing assistant.
          Ratings:
          +237
          yeah when you go abroad to practically anywhere they have half decent summers, everyone is prepared in that they all have air conditioned homes to deal with the hot spells. its like Canadian winters, they get a huge amount of snow but they are well prepared for it and we practically shut down when we get an inch. what im saying is that this country isn't prepared for anything, rain sun snow we fail to cope with anything and everything.

• Agree Agree x 4
          • Loofah

Loofah Admin Staff Member

Ratings:
            +23,866
            I'm loving it to be honest :) Water meter is taking a bit of a hammering but the Italians who owned my house before me kindly laid a nice stone floor which is fab for summer and ruddy awful in winter!
            For the gardeners - Would you rather be sweating in the garden getting bitten or sitting (locked up) in an office with no air con or freedom to come and go?

• Val..

Val.. Confessed snail lover

Retired
            Ratings:
            +4,951
            C'mon guys, make the most of it while it is here!! :)

• Agree Agree x 2
            • HsuH

HsuH Super Gardener

Ratings:
              +3,257
              I try not to complain about the weather in UK. A few years ago we spent a couple of years living in Kuala Lumpur which is practically on the equator so doesn't have much seasonal change. Every day is in the high 20s to low 30s and there are regular tropical thunderstorms which offer only temporary relief from the heat and humidity. After a couple of years we were glad to get back to UK just to get a bit of variety in the weather.

As far as this hot spell is concerned, yes it would be nice to get a bit more rain (we've just been over to our Landshare plot and spent 3 hours giving the veggies a good watering), but you just have to adapt to the conditions, ie wear loose, light weight clothes and avoid doing too much in the middle of the day.

When we were in KL we tried not to use the air con in our apartment because it would then feel even hotter when we did go out. In this country air con isn't really a cost effective solution for domestic use (it's ok for glass sided office buildings). We get a hot spell like this so infrequently that it just wouldn't be worth it. And air con isn't much use in the garden which after all is where we would all like to be :hapfeet:

• Agree Agree x 1
              • shiney

Ratings:
                +122,475
                I'm not quite sure that's a valid argument :scratch:. It's similar to saying we shouldn't use our central heating in the winter because it will feel colder when we went out!

To me the choice seems simple. Hot all the time or hot some of the time. No contest :heehee:. I get my gardening done in the cool between 5.30 a.m. and 7.30 a.m. and sometimes extend it to 9.30 a.m. The rest of the time I can easily find enough to do indoors in the aircon. :blue thumb:

When I'm in hot countries (been to KL a few times and was there in December :) ) everything I do is planned, as far as possible, to move into the aircon as often as I can. I don't blame you for coming back from KL. apart from the heat and humidity it has become so crowded and is gridlocked a lot of the time. That's why they have just built Putrajaya - a fascinating city.

Neither, thanks! :lunapic 130165696578242 5:

• Like Like x 1
                • HsuH

HsuH Super Gardener

Ratings:
                  +3,257
                  One difference is that in cold conditions you can put on more warm clothes before stepping outside. In a hot place if you make yourself comfortable in your t-shirt and shorts indoors with the air-con on then, when you need to go outside into the heat, there is nothing more for you to take off (without risking arrest) :dunno: .

Putrajaya was merely a twinkle in the eyes of Dr Mahatir when we were there. We lived in a pleasant suburb of KL and Mr H worked fairly near so we didn't have to suffer the gridlock too much. Apart from the heat and humidity Malaysia was a pleasant place to live, lovely people and fantastic food.

• Scrungee

Scrungee Well known for it

Ratings:
                  +28,997
                  My daughter departs for KL in 10 days, rather her than me.

• shiney

Ratings:
                  +122,475
                  I agree that the people and food are great :blue thumb:. The country is advancing at a fantastic pace but so is the congestion in KL.

They've built a fabulous new palace at Putrajaya ( Istana Melawati) but they haven't moved there because the queen said there aren't enough shops in Putrjaya yet :heehee:. The city has, so far, cost about 23billion dollars to build!

P1150114.JPG

• "M"

"M" Total Gardener

Ratings:
                  +31,885
                  Fatal flaw in your argument though, Sirius: *you* are loving this heat doesn't equate to everyone must therefore love this heat ;)

As for "people in general love complaining", I'm not convinced. Clearly, a prolonged, cold and wet Spring will bring some advantages and some disadvantages with it. Some people know how to adjust to it, others are willing to learn from it and some haven't got the foggiest (in gardening terms) and muddle on regardless: aka, me :redface: :heehee:

Clearly, if you have a sandy soil, too much rain will not present the same problems to someone who has a heavy clay soil. So, some may complain based on that :)

If the weather is too hot/too dry (in gardening terms), once again, depending on your soil/experience/knowledge/facilities, this will also be either a blessing or a bug bear.

Likewise, outside of the gardening aspect: some people thrive in the heat and will transform into beach "Pop Tarts" (lie down in the sun and won't pop up again until toasted). Many will choose to vacation abroad in higher temps than we have.

But, not everyone is built that way and others may thrive in much cooler climes: hence their passion for skiing etc., and will choose a vacation highlight in cooler temperatures.

The fact is: Britain is subject to two extremes (and, occasionally, something mellow inbetween) which I believe is due to being situated between two different weather fronts? So, we may experience a cold, cold Winter (which will delight the "snuggle up in front of the fire" folk) and we may experience a hot, sticky spell in Summer (which will delight the 'Pop Tarts').

It's all about: DIVERSITY :) In other words: we are not all the same; nor should we be expected to be ;)

If the hot weather is producing difficulties/issues/something else to ponder on than the norm, then I certainly wouldn't pigeon hole that person/people as "people love to complain" :redface: Just a tad too sweeping? :dunno:

• Agree Agree x 3