Idea for a growing competition this year

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Webmaster, Jan 16, 2007.

1. Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
    Ratings:
    +14,126
    [​IMG] I think we are all getting our stuff going at the moment. Good Luck with your Toms then, T & O. Growing anything else...? ;) :D

2. Webmaster

Webmaster Webmaster Staff Member

Ratings:
    +2,955
  3. Dave W

Dave W Total Gardener

Anything I fancy and can afford!
    Ratings:
    +3,035
    Sunflowers are doing quite well. The tallest is now about 4'.
    Grew them for the first time last year between some stumps from where I'd given a leylandii hedge the chop and was surprised at how well they did.
    (The bin in the pic isn't a common dustbin! It's where I store cardboard for adding to the worm bins and compost heap)
    [​IMG]

4. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +92,076
    My onions are coming on, but a bit slow, sowed them too late really. :rolleyes:

Dave, cant imagine you having a COMMON DUSTBIN. :D :D

5. Liz

Liz Gardener

Ratings:
    +65
    This year I would be the winner in a 'Failure to Grow' competition..... :(

6. Dave W

Dave W Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +3,035
    Got 3 "uncommon" bins Pete (Just call me "Three Bins Dave" :D :D

Sodding sodden garden due to rain and next to no sunshine and heat. Lost 5 out of 10 two year old asparagus crowns I planted in March. Outdoor toms show no signs of fruit. After producing triffid-like squash plants in the tunnel last year I planted them outside this year but they are way behind where they should be. Even the undercover toms are slow. Late sowings of peas all seem to have rotted. Cucs however are doing very well, probably because they haven't been overheated and sunflowers are now about 8 feet but heads look like being smaller than last year's plants.
    All rather disappointing as I'd got everything off to such a good start this year :( :(

7. Marley Farley

Ratings:
    +14,126
    :( I know you are up there & I am down here Dave, but to be honest, I am tellng a very similar story... 1st sowing of early peas excellent.. 2nd crop rotted.. Beans holding on against constant slug & snail attack.!! Had to do a 2nd rush sowing of courgettes but they are not doing anything much really... Need some flippin' sun...!!!!! None of this torrential rain....!! :(
    :eek: :( Am worried about Paladin as so many places near him are flooded. He was called home from work this morning because of it...!!!!! :confused:

8. accidentalgardener

accidentalgardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Great idea,

But how deo you grow pumpkins? Only ever seen em in Sainsburys [​IMG]

9. Dave W

Dave W Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +3,035
    I've started a thread for the September competition if there is still interest in it.

I suppose that most folk will feel that it has been a rather untypical growing season. The rain has had an adverse effect on many crops, but there will be others that have probably grown better than usual.

Our cucumbers have flourished due to the lack of intense summer sun, the brassicas and root crops have enjoyed the regular watering. The tomato crop has been significantly delayed - we were bottling a glut of outdoor toms on 24th August last year, but this year despite an early start to planting the first outdoor tom didn't ripen until 2nd Sept. Late sowings of peas and French beans had a very high failure rate and butternut squash plants have been a waste of space. Apples don't seem to be quite as big as last year though we do have a bumper crop and can't keep up dehdyrating the windfalls.
    Ah well, there's always next year to look forward to :D

10. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +92,076
    Dave, I still have my onions, not great but Okish.
    Other than that I dont have much veg wise, I'm afraid.

11. Marley Farley

Ratings:
    +14,126
    :( I have to agree with you about it being a terrible year Dave.. :eek: The cool temps & the rain held so many things back, the slugs & snails must have had their best year yet...!!! Armies of them moved in on the beans & peas.. Utter decimation really, despite resorting t slug pellets...!! :eek: I can't remember by kidney beans finishing at the end of August before, but they seem to have..!!
    :rolleyes: My grand children have rather lost interest too as they lost so much... They tried so hard with their sunflowers, but all to no avail & the veg was so dissapointing.. I hope they will still want to try next year... ;) We will put something in that does look good though I'm sure... ;)

12. Kedi-Gato

Kedi-Gato Gardener

Ratings:
    +35
    I'm posting the pic of my runner bean for the competition now as I won't be able to at the end of the month.

[​IMG]

14 3/4 inches

13. Dave W

Dave W Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +3,035
  14. walnut

walnut Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    Thats the best bean i've seen [​IMG] belated recognition for you achievement Kedi :D