Ideas for my little plot please.

Discussion in 'Allotments Discussion' started by Harmony Arb, Apr 8, 2008.

1. Harmony Arb

Harmony Arb Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    Thanks, Pro Guard

Unfortunately I have a south facing garden that is no good to acers. My wife bought me one last year and it continually suffered from leaf scorch. I have now given it to my parents where it is nice and shaded and doing so much better.

As for a small waterfeature there is actually a half-tub on the patio by the house with a few goldfish, a lily and a small foutain in.

2. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +48,995
    Looks so much better TS. I would break up the lawn shape either like lolli suggests with circles or triangular shapes if you dare to put them with no edges parallel to the existing fence. Also use a shrubbery or small trees inbetween the lawn areas, the idea being to draw the eye to the trees on the left and in the far distance.

3. pand692

pand692 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Just a thought tree surfer, but you might consider setting some trellis at a right angle to the fence part of the way down the lawn on the opposite side to your path. You could grow roses, clematis or whatever over it and it would hide the hutch and bins as well as breaking up the contour a bit.

I admit to being a fan of arches and paths that take you under them into different areas of a garden. Its all a very personal thing, so just suggestions.

4. Helofadigger

Helofadigger Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Well done TS your months of work are really bringing out the best in your garden although I have to admit the garden does look some what closed up but this should be sorted out by the time climbers have taken hold of all that trellis work.

It appears that your garden is still overlooked by your neighbour's up stairs windows have you thought about making a pagoda? Not only will it give you even more places to plant 'up' but it will give the garden a lovely intimate area where you can chill out after a hard days work.Hel.xxx.

5. redstar

redstar Total Gardener

Domestic Goddess
    Chester County, PA, USA, Plant zone 4 & 5
    Ratings:
    +11,493
    If I knew what I know now about gardening 19 years ago, the first thing I would do is enhance the soil.
    Add compost, peat, mushroom soil, and then start planting.

6. Harmony Arb

Harmony Arb Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    All great idweas folks, and believe me, the wife and I will definitely discuss them all. A pagaoda over the patio has been a thought previously and may be a project for next year or later this year. And we also definitely need a screen for the hutch and bins.

Cheers,
    Matthew

7. youngdaisydee

youngdaisydee Gardener

Ratings:
    +5
    Hi Matthew, Id Like to say I Love your garden, the side path is Fab, Very contempory, and your fence looks great, I would wait untill next year before adding/changing anything, get the feel of the garden first because I think you already have an idea of what you like, once again I think Youv'e done a Brilliant job of your garden...Dee...