Ideas on what we can add to the front garden

Discussion in 'Gardening Discussions' started by DaveyB, Mar 24, 2024.

Tags:
  1. Plantminded

Plantminded Keen Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,126
    If you decide on using pots, as well as the Erigeron, I'd recommend Nepeta which is also reliable and long flowering and copes well in many locations. Phormiums in pots would also give you some variety and structure, plus they are evergreen.

• Like Like x 1
    • infradig

infradig Gardener

Freelance self preservationist
      Ratings:
      +1,043
      I'd be looking to hang several baskets from your walls, maybe herbs and strawberries as well as the usual flowery things.

• Like Like x 1
      • DaveyB

DaveyB Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
        +8
        As inside the buxus? I'm not sure there's alot of room.

For some reason I can't reply to posts with links

• DaveyB

Ratings:
        +8
        Leicester, buxus has been fine for the past 5 years then last year I noticed them, so got some treatment stuff called TOPBUXUS XenTari which has done the trick.

I'm ready and waiting for them this year!

• Macraignil

Macraignil Super Gardener

Avoiding getting fired.
        Ratings:
        +835
        I don't see any other space you are looking to put plants in. The links I added are small shrubs but I agree it looks like you don't have a lot of space there. Up to you if you think you would like to keep that area more open but you did ask for suggestions as to what could be added to add more colour. The Mahonia linked is a smaller variety and they have nice fragrance and flower colour when other plants are not producing much and they are evergreen. The Pittosporum is a small variety that has very nice leaf colour in winter in particular and the Berberis linked is another smaller variety and the ones I have add nice bright flower colour at a variety of times through the year and are particularly good now. Also possible to trim these back if you want to keep them smaller than what they will normally grow to.
        Happy gardening!

• Friendly Friendly x 1
        • fairygirl

fairygirl Head Gardener

retired
          Ratings:
          +2,892
          I don't see any other space either @Macraignil , so I'm unsure what @DaveyB is really looking for. A few groundcovering plants perhaps, but they'll need to be happy with a bit of shade.
          Certainly, the suggestion by @infradig of wall baskets or similar is a good idea, but hanging baskets, or attached ones aren't low maintenance, so that has to be considered.

• Like Like x 1
          • DaveyB

Ratings:
            +8
            I got a few plants yesterday we pulled up the dead plants & have brought out a few big pots we had spare in the back garden.

We got a berberis starburst but couldn't find the one recommend & penstemon laura + another penstemon but I can't remember the name as I'm out atm. We also picked up a Phormium sundowner for a pot.

IMG_20240331_151546.jpg

• Creative Creative x 1