Im new!#

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by mef750, Feb 11, 2007.

1. UsedtobeDendy

UsedtobeDendy Gardener

Retired teacher and gardener
    Ratings:
    +172
    Doesn't sound like you need much help, Roxy! I've done pretty much the same as you - just waiting for the end of Feb to start sowing.....

I'll be growiing my potatoes in containers, though, rather than beds, because they take up a lot of space, and I'll be doing the same with my beans, growing them up a wigwam, and will be growing other root veg in the 1 raised bed I have (carrots, turnips and beetroot) and cauliflower, calabrese and broccoli in a separate bed.

I'll be doing my onions from sets, rather than seed, as I've been told the growing season up here is a bit short for doing it from seed.

Last year I started off my beetroot in rootrainers, but I think I'll be sowing them direct this time.

Feel free to ask - we all do! But you'll get more answers if you target your questions into the most appropriate sections - most people just pop in here to say hi and welcome! So, Hi! and Welcome!!
    :D

2. roxy

roxy Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Dendrobium
    I have started my onion sets off in pots in the greenhouse and will also be growing my potatoes in containers.
    I�m just not sure with the root veg how to start with the planting, been told Carrots, Swede and Beetroot
    Are hard to grow and could have loads of problems with root split or rot.
    Thankyou for the welcome and glad I joined.
    Roxy

3. UsedtobeDendy

UsedtobeDendy Gardener

Ratings:
    +172
    With the carrots in particular, best not to put down fresh manure, as you often get weird shapes after that...... :D I think the reason is that if the soil contains fewer nutrients (as in not being manured), the main tap root has to find nutrients, and goes down and down, making the nice proper carrot shape we want. But if there are lots of nutrients all around, you'll get lots of roots going in different directions, often creating interesting shapes :rolleyes:

With all of the root veg, you're better off sowing them directly in the soil, or if you want to start them off in the greenhouse, use loo-roll centres or rootrainers so you don't disturb the root when planting them. It's simpler to sow them firect, particularly if you're sowing lots. I don't think they're particularly difficult if you do this....

Good luck!

4. Kandy

Kandy Will be glad to see the sun again soon.....

Head gardener
    Ratings:
    +6,543
    Hi Roxy and welcome to the site.Everything that Dendrobium has told you is correct advice which will be ok to follow and should give good results..

One other thing with carrots and also parsnips is that the tap root goes down into the soil is to find water.That is why they are clled tap roots.If you can grow them in decent soil with not many stones and too much water then the tap root will go down looking for a moisture supply..Apart from that you should be ok as long as you keep the dreaded carrot fly away...

Good Luck [​IMG]

5. roxy

roxy Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Thankyou for advice been warned about carrot flies so got some net to lay over top of veg. [​IMG]

6. Kandy

Kandy Will be glad to see the sun again soon.....

Head gardener
    Ratings:
    +6,543
    Roxy,your dancing cat looks like my Willow.he is the same colour and doesn't keep still :D
    You need to cover your carrot rows with either fleece or make a barrier round the rows about 2ft high so that the female carrot hits the barrier then flys over the rows.Some people interplant with onions so that the smell from the onions deters the fly..

7. dizzzylizzzy

dizzzylizzzy Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Don't worry roxy about being annoying, which I'm sure you will not be. I'm very new to gardening but think I know it all. I know that much about growing seeds that I lost every single one last year. Also, my neighbour used to tell everyone that I pruned existing plants with a chainsaw. I am also doing a raised bed for veg this year so I will stay tuned for any responses.

8. mef750

mef750 Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi. Thanks Dendrobium! i hope they like lancashire as well lol.
    Dizzy Lizzzy you must be good to start plants off from seeds i tryed that once but i couldnt manage to move them there was too many altogether and i somehow managed to kill them all!
    Roxy i dont know much about veg only they are yummy!
    Still digging up bricks and concreat where my decking is going to go!

9. UsedtobeDendy

UsedtobeDendy Gardener

Ratings:
    +172
    I'll keep my fingers crossed for you, Mef750! :D

Nobody is annoying - we all just love answering questions!! :cool: And we ALL ask questions at times - how else do you learn?

10. mef750

mef750 Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Everyone! I have had to put things on hold for a few days as i have hurt my sholder blade.
    Im so annoyed at my self, all i want is to get things finished, with the end in sight thats the anoying bit! Daffs are still looking good with the crocus, and today i have noticed that my hyachynth is now in bud! so i look forward to seeing those out in bloom soon.

11. Victoria

Victoria Lover of Exotic Flora

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +55,157
    Ola, mef750, hope your shoulder mends soon. I had a problem with a should blade for many years due to a car accident.

I gave away all my hyacinth last year (due to a space problem) to a friend who is now delighted as they are blooming her now!

Daffs and crocus and hyacinth will bloom without your assistance ... enjoy them and sort the rest out in time!

12. FANCY

FANCY Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    hi mef750, must take gentle excercise with that shoulder or else it will take longer to heal. old remedies are the best.

13. mef750

mef750 Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you for the advice i do appreciate it! someone gave me a tip about a golf ball! and suprising its helping a lot, so old remerdys are best! Ive got some medication as well, but resting its 1 thing ive been told to do! (" my daughter the mother hen lol")