In praise of Alys Fowler.

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by roders, Sep 29, 2008.

1. Pro Gard

Pro Gard Gardener

Ratings:
    +6

****** You dont read people very well, You have read me entirely wrong.

No sour grapes, just a dislike of my license fee being wasted in producing misinformation, bad advice and dumbing down.

I'm 25, self employed and happily running several profitable and enjoyable business. I am younger than those I criticize further more, there is not the slightest thing involved in TV gardening/presenting that appeals to me******

2. roders

roders Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +7,093
    :) Did anyone see dear Alys on friday night in her own garden,in her denim mini dress and cut off leggins.............worth the licence fee on it's own :luv:

3. Sussexgardener

Sussexgardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +41
    Suxaty, I think its a bit much for your first post here to be attacking another member in this way. Being a member of several online forums, I believe there is an etiquette involved with posting and an attack on an established forum member is not the way to go about it, regardless of how strongly you feel about a subject.

4. Paladin

Paladin Gardening...A work of Heart

Retired but still grubbing the soil.
    Ratings:
    +770
    roders...:gnthb:what a beauty and good gardener!!

5. amanita

amanita Gardener

semi retired
    Ratings:
    +14
    Alys, would eventually, become a good presenter but what about this Toby Buckland guy....
    he's pretty good at it. anyone agree?

6. Pro Gard

Pro Gard Gardener

Ratings:
    +6
    Amanita, for many reasons, No.

If you wish to hear themall I'll type out a long reply!!

7. Paladin

Ratings:
    +770
    Amanita,he is refreshing in his approach,I am almost thinking back to Geoff H....As someone who listens and hopes to learn I am open to his opinions.....Isn't that what gardening is about..opinions?
    Informative and cheerful without patronising.

8. Kandy

Kandy Will be glad to see the sun again soon.....

Head gardener
    Ratings:
    +6,543
    I like Toby and as yet can't fault him.At least he isn't Obnoxious and self Opinionated:yho:

I used to think Geoff was brilliant because he was around when me and Mr K were just starting out with our first garden and allotment plots so was saddened with his passing:(

We then had Alan who at first didn't like because I thought that no one was as good as Geoff but in the end with his simple way of gardening,and in the end grew to like his work.For me it was nice to have a programme where I could sit down on a Friday evening to relax and see someone talking about a subject I enjoy and it was nice at times to go by the power of TV to other peoples gardens and nurseries to see how they did things and what plants they grew:)

Monty didn't really do a lot for me but I still stuck with it as I am still interested in gardening and allomenteering though I am now a lot older and starting to feel somewhat creaky:hehe: and:old:

If I had my way I would have Chris Beardshaw:luv: and Rachel any day but what with Rachel bringing up a family and Chris busy dog walking and flying off in his helicopter I know this isn't possible.:D

We only have one life so lets all live it:flag::)

9. suxaty

suxaty Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    sussexgardener - sorry if i stepped over the etiquette line in my post. My post was primarily intended to defend those that I felt were being unfairly critisized. The post above from Kandyfloss is great because it recognises that different presenters appeal to different people and you just can't please everyone. I was somewhat annoyed by the way Paul made some quite personal and unfair comments about presenters and I was seeking to demonstrate this in my post. I can see that Paul has tried to pick my post to pieces but I don't really see the need to pick his to pieces in return as I stand by all my original statements. I am new to this forum although I have posted on a few other forums in the past. Generally I like the forums and posters on here and hope I can contrribute to them in future, I have 13 years experience in professional horticulture and currently teach in the field (literally!), you may also be able to tell, by reading between the lines of my last post, that I have a bit of inside info in the world of TV gardening ;-)

10. Paladin

Ratings:
    +770
    Your passion and knowledge did rather point to an expertise:wink:
    Welcome suxaty... :)

11. Pro Gard

Pro Gard Gardener

Ratings:
    +6
    "I like Toby and as yet can't fault him.At least he isn't Obnoxious and self Opinionated"

Kandy,

None of the past or present presenters are obnoxiuse, if they were by the nature of things they wouldnt be selected for TV work.

12. takemore02withit

takemore02withit Gardener

Ratings:
    +40
    It dosn't matter who you are. You cant please all of the people, all of the time and we all have our own opinions.:) 02

13. walnut

walnut Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    I think Toby is an excellent presenter, it's the subject matter that Pauls questioning,Toby is told what to present he has a research team that supply him with the material.Suxaty everyone has an oppinion at times it doesn't agree with yours but don't let it worry you it's only an oppinion,Paul is good at the practical side of gardening but if he had to present it on gardeners world then who knows maybe someone out there would be calling him,people have different ways of doing things and can end up with the same result so who is right ?

14. suxaty

suxaty Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    walnut, you're quite right and the answer is that they're both right. it's fine for different people to approach things in different ways. just because someone does something different to you doesn't make it wrong. toby does have researchers who provide him with material to work with and things to say but they are the same researchers who work with all the presenters for BBC programmes. Don't think that each presenter has a 'team' of researchers dedicated to them, if only! BBC budgets tend to be stretched rather thin!

15. roders

roders Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +7,093
    :) I thought I should post these pics.I took of Alys Fowler at the Gardeners World Live Show as this is her thread lol.
    She is the only person I know who could talk passionately about worms for half an hour and have me spellbound lol.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]