In praise of Alys Fowler.

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by roders, Sep 29, 2008.

1. Paladin

Paladin Gardening...A work of Heart

Retired but still grubbing the soil.
    Ratings:
    +770
    Were you actually listening Roders or simply besoted by her beauty?:D

2. roders

roders Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +7,093
    :) HAPPY CHRISTMAS ALICE..........
    We know you look in...........:sleigh:

3. geoffhandley

geoffhandley Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    Well I am going to make Roders jealous.............. i had lunch with her....and she is even nicer in the flesh than on the telly. :)
    She was a speaker at a composters' conference I went to at Ryton and she came and sat at the same table as me ......so she must have class :)
    She is not like the other celebrities i have seen and she doesn't want to to be like that. She has also worked at the New York botanic gardens as well as Kew and I think she really does know her stuff. She is also very practical and composts and grows her own at home and gets the neighbours involved. I found her a very practical, down to earth and funny young lady who is easy to talk to.
    I think she is a good thing to have happened on Gardeners World. I don't expect presenters to be perfect and appeal to all but I want someone who is genuinely keen and knows their stuff and I think she fits the bill. She has got more confident as time has gone on. I do sometimes wonder whether they have tried to glam her up at times with the scarves that get in the way. We don't need gardening presenters glammed up.....remember Geoff Hamilton with the baggy jumpers.

4. Dave W

Dave W Total Gardener

Anything I fancy and can afford!
    Ratings:
    +3,035
    Our daughter gave me Alys’s “The Thrifty Gardener “as a Christmas present. So far I’ve only managed to dip into it but the impression I have so far gained is that it is an absolutely inspirational book particularly for the novice gardener, the cash strapped gardener and gardener with limited space. And even the more experienced gardener might benefit from reading the first chapter – “The slow track”. It’s certainly set me thinking about my approach to my garden.

To quote from the opening chapter –

“This much I’ve learnt. Gardening is something you do, not something you buy. You don’t have to spend money to have a great garden. Slow gardening, like slow food is taking time to savour. It’s the process, not the sudden transformation that matters.”

For me, that final sentence says it all.

And, GeoffH - I'm greeeeeen with envy!

5. takemore02withit

takemore02withit Gardener

Ratings:
    +40
    :yho::yho::cl-p::cl-p::cl-p:say no more !!!!!!! 02

6. roders

roders Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +7,093
    :) Yes Geoff I am very jealous......lucky you :)

To quote from the opening chapter â??

â??This much Iâ??ve learnt. Gardening is something you do, not something you buy. You donâ??t have to spend money to have a great garden. Slow gardening, like slow food is taking time to savour. Itâ??s the process, not the sudden transformation that matters.â?

What wonderful words of wisdom Dave.............

BTW.............. HAPPY NEW YEAR ALICE :D

7. roders

roders Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +7,093
    :) When Googling Alice Fowler THIS THREAD comes up at 6th..ish.on the first page...............Bless her :wink:.

8. andrewh

andrewh Gardener

Ratings:
    +45
    My girlfriend doesn't like Alys Fowler and gets a bit spikey when she is on TV.

I'll leave you to draw your own conclusions as to why...!

Haven't read her book yet though. I was hoping someone would buy it for me at Christmas, but no luck. Very much looking forward to her TV programme too.

9. geoffhandley

geoffhandley Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    Ah well Alys is a nice, wholesome lass or so it seems.
    The last time a redhead had an impact on male viewers of GW it was because of two assets and the way they moved when she did some digging. :)

10. lollipop

lollipop Gardener

Ratings:
    +24
    It must warm the cockles of her heart to hear such admiration.

11. alana

alana Super Gardener

Head Gardener
    Ratings:
    +2,620
    I agree with you Nick - it sounds like Pro Gard only watches the show to criticise the content, presenters and the advice.
    Anyone who calls him or herself a Pro is asking for it. Experts, professionals or just keen amateurs can be wrong and even the professionals dish out conflicting advice. None of the examples ProGard gave us are life threatening - we can all claim to know better!