Inconsiderate neighbours

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by pip, May 4, 2007.

1. Fran

Fran Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Well the only other anwer is move to where neighbours moving in with large numbers of kids would not be a problem..That is not always possible - so its making the best of a bad job. To expect a family with six kids to be quiet during daylight hours (school hours excepted) is not the easiest. Become a creature of darkness, or find ways to ameliorate the problem.

2. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +92,075
    A back yard 15ft by 15ft is not suitable for six kids to play, I'm guessing the house is not big enough either, so where do you move to, (and incidentaly, why should you have to) to find somewhere that is not likely to be invaded.
    As for roaming around and sitting in the garden at night,I dont think so.

3. tiggs&oscar

tiggs&oscar Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hello Pip,

I really sympathise. You have your own haven but can't enjoy it as much because of neighbours. Whilst the neighbours have every right to enjoy their space they need to respect the fact they are not the Waltons living up on the hills but in fact live in close proximity to other people.
    I don't see why you should put up with it especially if you have tried to approach them about it. Bearing in mind the family should have reasonable enjoyment of their garden keep a diary, times, dates, how you've approached it and if it doesn't improve approach your local council for advice.
    Frankly, everyone deserves to sit in their own private space and enjoy peace and quiet every now and then.
    Best wishes
    TO

4. Fran

Fran Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    I quite agree, that you should have some peace and quite - there's a lot of shoulds in the world - but working with your neighbous in this situation, is the only alternative if moving is not an option. Not sure if i had six kids I could ensure peace and quite, and yet still have healthy kids. The alternative to working with the situation is just stress and high blood pressure. Unless of course its council property, then there may be some levers to pull, if the situation is unreasonable.

5. pip

pip Gardener

Ratings:
    +226
    All privately owned houses Fran, which limits the mediation options if it escalated to a point where official complaints had to be made.

6. Kandy

Kandy Will be glad to see the sun again soon.....

Head gardener
    Ratings:
    +6,543
    We have new neighbours where the wife has become a childminder,so now I can't even sit out in the garden for five minutes after school hours without hearing half a dozen kids screaming their heads off of crying their eyes out for a couple of hours,It isn't a joy to live out in the country any more :(

7. Johnny

Johnny Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    We have the same a few doors down but then again I'm probably the cause as well when my 21 month old is in the garden playing - sorry to all those in Cottingham in advance :(

8. Paladin

Paladin Gardening...A work of Heart

Retired but still grubbing the soil.
    Ratings:
    +770
    I have had bad neighbours too,and their six brats were little ****'s!
    I had a few words now and again which improved things ,I even had the bloke by the throat but all I got for that was a visit from Plod! Then I remembered the saying..'The pen is mightier than the sword'....And my letter to the Council worked a dream...They were moved into an area where their neighbours were even worse than them [​IMG] (more violent than me too!!! :D )

9. Kandy

Head gardener
    Ratings:
    +6,543
    It is a shame when we have lived here for nearly six years and now it sounds like WW3 has broken out as they scream and fight with each other.It isn't a pleasure to be out in the garden for even five minutes now.I sneak around the garden each morning when I go out to feed the animals and check the greenhouse,so that I don't wake them up.I think I will have to rig up a couple of speakers to my stereo system,that will sort them out. :D I love kids but not when they scream at the top of their voices

There is also a puppy over the back of my neighbours which is shut out for about an hour each night,and that cries so much.I feel like ringing the RSPCA,as it sounds like it is being ill treated the way it cries :eek:

10. Fran

Fran Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    There is a council service that helps negotiate neighbour problems - as I recall its called resolve.

Bottom line is that unless you are in council accomadation you have to work out a way to survive with your neighbours if moving is not a preferred option. I got bad ones one side, the other side is heaven.

The bad side, we communicate when we have to, the good side, we communicate. Negotiation- before it turns in to an escallating problem where emotions are involved is critical - when emotions are involved, its a point it all gets very very bad. Part of that negotiation is about you (me) being placatory, nice and friendly to get what you want, or at least part of what you want.

Please don't turn a different family with a lorra kids, into something that it isn't.Engage the little brain cells - and look at it from their view point. There is always a middle ground - if you can find it before things escallate.

If not, join the horrid films of neighbours at war.

Kandy - a puppy shut out for an hour, will sound like it being abused - seperation anxiety, but its not. Try living near someone whose dog is always outside - rain, snow frost and ice, and suffers from seperation anxiety!!!

11. roders

roders Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +7,093
    [​IMG] Our neighbour........14 year old girl had a drum kit for Christmas nightmare.....no not at all,she is a serious player,taking druming exams :D About an hour a day,and realy it's bought something to the neighbourhood,she plays in the garage on pallets covoured in carpet,like a stage :cool:

12. pip

pip Gardener

Ratings:
    +226
    For Fran, my wife sat for a while in the sun today listening to three of the kids calling each other obscene names and telling each other to f*** off. After tolerating as much as she could she asked them nicely to watch their language. The reply was "Its our yard,we`ll swear if we want to". You might say we should speak to the parents but you should hear the way they speak to the kids. Not to many brain cells to engage there! :mad: :mad: :mad:

13. jjordie

jjordie ex-mod

Ratings:
    +206
    Roders - The mind boggles at the noise! [​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +92,075
    Pip, there is no way over this kind of people, unfortunately they are fast becoming the norm.

15. Kandy

Head gardener
    Ratings:
    +6,543
    Fran,this is what I am worried about.They alraedy have another dog that they used to let roam the streets,now they have a new baby and the pup.I don't know whether they dump the pup outside while they have their evening meal or because it has messed or wetted in the house,but I find it's cries most distressing as I am not sure whether it is chained up or just left outside to amuse it'self.I feel like going round and knocking on their door,but I am not sure what their reaction will be.I think it is because I am a dog lover that I feel this way.

I feel the same about kids that sound like they are being thrashed,but have to bite my tongue.Dogs and Kids are for life,not until you get bored with them
    :( :(