Induction hobs

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by ViewAhead, Aug 3, 2024.

1. Pete8

Pete8 Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +1,036
    Mine has a timer and alarm, but nothing else in the way of programming.
    On mine, if a pan reaches the boil and I don't get to it quick, as soon as it boils over the hob switches off.
    So at least nothing ever gets burned on.

Maybe the Canadian ones are more advanced than those we have here.
    I bought mine in 2019 so there are probably more advanced features available now.

I'm glad I bought a single wok-burner ring that sits alongside the hob.
    Due to the lack of a heat source, proper wok cooking isn't really feasible oi a flat induction hob.
    I know there are now induction wok hobs, but I do like gas for wokery.

2. CanadianLori

CanadianLori Total Gardener

Battle Axe
    Ratings:
    +31,328
    Maybe mine's just an old style. I've had it at least 15 years so certainly an oldie. I like the temperature setting. It is quite handy when making candy :)

3. shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
    Ratings:
    +122,528
    We can't have induction cooking as we have too many powercuts - 27 last year!

But no problem cleaning our cooker

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 3
    • ViewAhead

ViewAhead Head Gardener

South of the South Downs, north of the sea!
      Ratings:
      +3,579
      @CanadianLori's fridge certainly looks more space-age than my humble model. :biggrin:

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Obelix-Vendée

Obelix-Vendée Keen Gardener

Retired
        Ratings:
        +2,453
        When we had our kitchen installed I opted for a gas hob as we are out in the country with leccy coming on overhead cables with trees growing very near. experience tells me that leads to power cuts but they've upgraded the lines, cleared the trees and upgraded the sub station so, after cleaning and re-painting my kitchen this summer I decided the gas hob could go and an induction could be bought in the sales.

It was finally connected by our electrician and I used it for the first time this evening. it's brilliant.

Faster and more responsive than bottled gas and clean.

I already have Inox pans but also some Tefal recycled aluminium based non stick frying pans including 2 flat bottomed woks, one of which I used tonight and it was fine.

Happy Obxx.

PS - I do have a gas hob out in th eannex so there's backup if we do get a power cut.

Yes I have fridge magnets - a group of oriental fish from Hong Kong, some miniature Magritte prints from our time in Belgium and one or two other bits.

• Like Like x 2
        • cactus_girl

cactus_girl Super Gardener

Retired
          Ratings:
          +1,624
          I'm a fan of gas hobs. Mine is a five ring with a large burner in the middle for stir fries etc. I will always have gas because if you have a power cut you have hot food and hot water. Must make sure you have a box of matches too. We have stacks of basic white candles dating back to the 1970s!

They are a bit of a pain to clean, but if I'm doing say chips I cover the rest of the hob with a sheet of tinfoil.

• Meadowlands

Meadowlands Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
          +26
          We like to think we are covered for all eventualities having a Range cooker hobs gas, ovens electric. Also have an Esse log burning stove with hob and oven which we use a lot in winter. Can cook a roast dinner for 4 easily and always got kettles on the boil for drinks, washing up etc.

• Agree Agree x 1
          • Obelix-Vendée

Obelix-Vendée Keen Gardener

Retired
            Ratings:
            +2,453
            I brought my Rangemaster with me from Belgium @Meadowlands - 5 gas hobs but leccy ovens, grill and warmer. Too big for the new kitchen bu very handy as backup when needed and the ovens come into their own when I'm doing the annual cake production line for the garden club's plant fair.

We invite traders to sell their plants and garden related objects and raise funds for the club by selling refreshments all day long. My British cakes sell out first.