International edible gardening

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by colne, Mar 30, 2014.

1. Jenny namaste

Jenny namaste Total Gardener

retired- blissfully retired......
    Ratings:
    +31,742
    Then why not make some Colne? I make bread to swap for vegetables , blood, fish and bone or plants that I do not have room to nuture from start to finish?
    You have a surplus of egg whites and they will be put to good use,
    Jenny

2. colne

colne Super Gardener

Ratings:
    +799
    I may jenny, first I need to work on research and recipes though. Here anyone can make up to $20,000 worth of food that does not need refrigeration in their home kitchen to sell to the public. (A special law for farmers markets and similar.) but that means no custards or soft meringues like lemon meringue pies (which I am really good at).

I need to find out if these dry kind of pavolva base fit that criteria. We sell our eggs, sometimes it is a hassle having to lug them around though. Today my wife took 3 and 1/2 dozen to the market and they went before she stopped walking; the vendors know how natural our chickens are and bought them. The problem with using the whites is the yolks - cannot sell custards.

Also I would do pickled eggs if I was to get into it, so easy and very good looking, and good to eat. The problem is one has to keep the eggs over two weeks so they peel easily.

So I went fishing and caught 2 bluegills and 2 warmouth for the pond, and one I hooked deep so had to kill and will eat. They are all such beautiful fish, and 1 green brim which I let go because they produce small offspring so would not want them breeding in my pond; although they are very good looking.

[​IMG]

the harbor and some of the shrimp fleet, the season opens next week! I never buy shrimp except for off the boats (this is an old picture and all gray from being winter, now it is all bright - working harbors are always so much more attractive than pleasure ones.). Netting shrimp with a castnet will not begin till August, except some bait shrimp will come in in July.

MrsK, had a quick look for drum circle pictures but they are not handy I guess - here is the end of one years ago, all split up already - the gathering back in the forest with about 5000 doing the prayer for peace and Ohmm fallowed by the big drum circle - we went to a number of big Krishna ones, and the very best drum circle/rave was at a Jesus camp where the crowd got going in a very active, big, circle at night in front of the drum stage with it all lit by large fires - and as they would pass by the front a guy would pitch water up from a 5 gallon bucket over the crowd where the drops would hang scattering light like jewels before falling onto the dancers - he would chant 'Have a drink of water' in time to the drums with each throw - and send out this jewel cascade (I think everyone ended up being baptized even if they did not know it) - great fun.

[​IMG]

3. Jenny namaste

Ratings:
    +31,742
    how long will eggs "keep" in a fridge and still be OK to cook please?

4. sesame

sesame Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +8
    Hey Colne, where's the youtube of your garden, (chicks, compost, yardlong beans)? I am a new member, and might have mislaid it, but told a friend to look it up and they can't find it either.
    Good posts, but I was fond esp. of your guided tour.

5. colne

colne Super Gardener

Ratings:
    +799
    Ses, just (12 posts back) previous is a link to my walk about - they are scattered throughout - I think you must be logged in to see the pictures and links.

jenny - eggs should keep for well over three months in the refrigerator. Before the fridge there was water glassing, a method of keeping eggs in a silicate solution where 6 months was fine. In the old days chickens did not lay in winter so eggs had to be stored from the warmer months. The length of the day is what does it but now lights are just used to fool the hens so they lay all year in the egg farms so we no longer have to store them.

I try to keep eggs for a month in the back of the fridge for pickling - I have a basket that fits there.

Ses, I am off to make a short film now as I need to run next door..........this filming is way too easy.

6. Jenny namaste

Ratings:
    +31,742
    Thank you for that reassuring advice Colne. I really didn't know they could be still OK after all that time.
    Almost miraculous ,
    Jenny

7. colne

colne Super Gardener

Ratings:
    +799
    An unfertilized egg is a tricky thing - is it alive? Well yess... or not much, depending. But it is not dead like a piece of meat, more like a very deep aestivation like a seed, maybe less than that. Birds take a week to two laying their eggs before beginning to sit them properly so they all will hatch together. Eggs are made to be stable, and so with refrigeration can be kept for a long time.

I made a quick walk through as asked by sesame and the exposure had been taken off auto so it was all just white on grey with some colour in the shaded places - annoying to watch.

8. Jenny namaste

Ratings:
    +31,742
    it has been so useful to read and understand your explanation Colne. The Supermarkets and their "sell by/ use by" dates give the impression that they will be unfit for use - even dangerous to health. I do get so exasperated with the Food Police at times,
    Jenny

9. colne

colne Super Gardener

Ratings:
    +799
    I had a funny incident a couple hours ago. Wile doing a walkthrough with the camera a couple chicks were missing, they had been there previously though. Then Jack dog tells me he has a rat hiding in a bit of 3 inch PVC pipe (you can hear his annoyed squeals telling me to chase it out into the open)

So I shook the pipe out and a cottonmouth moccasin fell out. There was my chick eater. I was able to fallow it into the trash wood pile from Katrina - look for it dashing, they are quick! I was able to stand there watching so it could not get away and call for my wife to bring me a gun - and then dig it out and shoot it. (this is two videos spliced)

Moccasins can really ruin a dog - kill a little one like Jack so that is the reason for me shouting, I had 3 curious dogs - but they know snakes are not OK. they want to check it out, but also know it may not be a good idea. So I am running an exceptionally good rate - only 1 seen here has ever survived my attention so far.

The garden goes well, and I have just made some mini - pie shells. It has been a long time since I have had the roller out! they are being filled with another friend's organic blueberries, red plum, a nectarine, blackberry syrup, some sugar and tapioca as thickener - makes a nice clearish thickener as compared to mixing flour with the fruit. I just have forgotten how much but I always make up everything as I go along anyway.

So: 1 1/2 cups fruit, 1/4 c sugar and blackberry syrup, 1 T tapioca - I just had taken the pie shells out (prebaked because I dislike a raw bottom crust) and mashed the fruit - took this picture between typing and mixing, and next will let it steep 15 min, roll out the lattice crust for the top and finish. I do love fruit desserts. I have the heavy cream.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Jenny namaste

Ratings:
      +31,742
      Your bananas are looking superb Colne. Do you dry any for Winter? Any what was the blue flower next to the Cannas? Was it Plumbago?
      I do sympathise with your need to quell to populations of your competitors. It doesn't upset me and I accept that you have to do this. Doesn't everything grow at such a pace? We are having a cool phase at the moment. I think the Jet Stream has moved far, far south - probably mid France or below and we are having to put up with Northern weather influences. It's making the tomatoes "stall" a bit. I think they are behind last year's. Plenty of flowers coming but the bees don't like foraging in this cool weather much,
      Jenny

• colne

colne Super Gardener

Ratings:
      +799
      I have to run and check the traps now and then off to an appointment. I leave 99% of the predatory and pest creatures alone but rats breed exponentially. They also go into the cars and chew wires as I found out. The moccasins I always kill on my property because they are so venomous and aggressive when confronted. All else are left alone.

• Informative Informative x 1
      • MrsK

MrsK Gardener

Ratings:
        +123
        Not what I meant. Beyond bare survival, any 'should' (free will has us acting below what we should be) leads to teleology of some sort -- a narrative which will triumph in the end regardless, e.g.: 'Bad things won't happen if I work hard,' 'Humanity is perfectible,' 'Frosty the Snowman will be back again some day.'

What we should be requires a pretty specific context. There are so many real possibilities that for me, the wheels come off of teleologies, and eschatologies too.

• colne

colne Super Gardener

Ratings:
        +799

I tend to think of ethics being universal (and therefore almost undefinable in specifics) and morals being cultural. Given that, one would have to assume there is some ultimate, something beyond the mundane - see, I defined ethics as being universals which then requires an ultimate - my favorite, a self imposed tautological proof of the unprovable.

but teleologies are not in fitting with what I believe although that must fly in the face of Karma belief. Take these Easterners like Muslims. They are very into predestination, what is written is written and all that. Therefore the ISIS guys have no worries at all about killing or being killed. "Kill them all and let God sort them out." being a comforting bit of theology to them.

But I disagree completely, and that is why I have a big problem with euthanasia - to kill those captured soldiers to go their deserved paradise or hell as god decrees is usurping that authority you do not have. Believing in free will; those condemned could redeem themselves later. They could atone, do good works, be forgiven and forgive........... The ISIS have taken god's authority by baring future acts of free will to those souls.

No no, because I believe in good and evil, right and wrong, does not mean fairy tale endings, certainly nothing about Frosty - It means we are not merely a chemical reaction set in motion by a big bang and a 'Blind Watchmaker'. It does not mean all are saved, certainly does not mean all are righteous, it could be a teleological outcome similar to the one here on earth; all over the place, no one size fits all, few indeed knew what to do, and less of them then did it.

But I am babbling and have not said anything, pardon me. And have shot a 6 minute video of some stuff and am downloading it - if anyone has 6 minutes not already earmarked for something useful check back.

• MrsK

MrsK Gardener

Ratings:
        +123
        Cool. Loose ends are good with me.

• colne

colne Super Gardener

Ratings:
        +799
        So I checked the crab traps - nothing, water way too fresh. We have a very large wild oystering fleet here and 6 weeks of two much fresh and they die I do not think they are surviving but hope. Then two of the fish I just put into my pond are dead. I think I have let the ph run away and get down to the 5.5 or lower (fish cannot take a ph change easily - I introduced them over hours, but still too quickly apparently).. I really would like that cheap ph meter. Ponds will not clarify properly if the ph is wrong too - I have 100 lbs of dolomitic lime I bought for $4 because the bags were torn and I bet the pond needs 40 lbs, just too tight to pay $16 for a pond testing kit - especially because I am not worried about the other factors.

Man, stuff is dying all around me - the poor turtle in the trap, which is why I seemed angry, the snake that ate my two chicks and then got snuffed himself, my pond released brim, a ratty a day, just life as usual out there I guess.

But then life is also exploding, and so much of it is having it good, the birds and creatures are well fed - even my chickens hardly need food from me because nature is so fat right now. Plants are burgeoning madly. The bananas getting a foot a week - it is the mad rush of life.

• Like Like x 1
        • Agree Agree x 1