Is Compost enough or do I need topsoil too

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Will Hay, Mar 29, 2023.

1. Will Hay

Will Hay Gardener

Ratings:
    +77

Isnt it just!!!

I had it in a medium sized pot and it was just, you know, OK
    But last year transplanted it and boy does it love its new home!
    It is blocking my white carpet rose from being seen!!!

Also mightily impressed with my Johnson Blue Geranium

2. lizzie27

lizzie27 Super Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +1,245
    That's looking really good @Will Hay, you've obviously worked very hard on that area. Love your Johnson's Blue geranium.

As the owner of a similar bank, I would suggest if you haven't already got it in hand, that you think about constructing a flight of steps to one side to make for easier and safer access along the top for weeding/pruning etc in the future. Apologies if you have already got one, it's difficult to see from the photos. I too, wouldn't put any climbers on the fence, especially if it doesn't belong to you. They get out of hand all too quickly and usually need quite a lot of maintenance.

3. Will Hay

Will Hay Gardener

Ratings:
    +77

Yes I have access to the side of the wall that allows me to get to the rear of the flower bed up on the wall and the treat the fence, which is a chore!!! Gave that fence 4 coats of the new colour! The so called 5 year version and sure it is blistering with the sun!

The Johnsons Blue is very vigorous and has stifled a few lovely scabioso plants I had up there. I have relocated tow of them but am afford they are gone!!!

Sorry for the delay in replying

IMG_8263.jpg