Issues in some plants - help needed

Discussion in 'Gardening Discussions' started by Javidr, Mar 18, 2024.

1. NigelJ

NigelJ Total Gardener

Mad Scientist
    Ratings:
    +22,571
    Not sure that any of the pictures above show signs of life, normally you would expect to see a sliver of green just under the park and the rest would be wetter and probably whiter.
    One of the quick checks for a live or dead shoot is to carefully scape off a piece of bark and if alive you will see a green layer underneath.
    Your plants might shoot from lower down, more likely for the honeysuckle than the magnolia.

2. ViewAhead

ViewAhead Head Gardener

South of the South Downs, north of the sea!
    Ratings:
    +3,508
    Sadly, those are not looking that hopeful. You should be able to see a pale green ring just inside the outermost layer. That said, an individual branch can be dead without the whole plant being a gonna.

Oops, sorry, didn't see you had answered, @NigelJ.

3. fairygirl

fairygirl Total Gardener

retired
    Ratings:
    +4,485
    I'd agree - neither looks too good.
    I'd also agree though, that the honeysuckle might be ok, and it may only be an individual branch that's dead. The pic of the whole plant didn't look too inspiring though.

4. Javidr

Javidr Gardener

Ratings:
    +11
    Ok, I will continue cutting branches to find any sign of life but by the look of it… it’s gone

is it worth looking at the roots, at least for the potted one? Maybe if roots are fine it might be alive, or am I just being naive?

5. Dangermousie

Dangermousie Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    Do vine weevil eat the roots of these two plants I wonder?

6. fairygirl

fairygirl Total Gardener

retired
    Ratings:
    +4,485
    I think @Javidr has confirmed that the honeysuckle is dead. He started a new thread asking for ideas. :smile:
    I doubt that v. weevils attack Magnolias, although it's always an easier target when they're potted, so it might be the case. It's highly unlikely to be the initial reason for the poor condition though. It looks far more like a combination of factors which have gradually encouraged the decline.

• Like Like x 2
    • Javidr

Javidr Gardener

Ratings:
      +11
      Yep the magnolia is likely dead since the cold winter of 2022, looks like the whole pot got frozen

I still don’t understand how the honeysuckle died, it is a really strong plant, but I think when I look at the roots this weekend this will show some evidences

• fairygirl

fairygirl Total Gardener

retired
      Ratings:
      +4,485
      I think we covered it @Javidr - too dry for too long [the honeysuckle]
      There's competition for moisture there for it - the grass, near the house walls -possibly planting on the other side of the fence etc. The ground in your last pic looks very, very dry, which - at this time of year is unusual, and it's right up against the fence too. It's probably been struggling for a while.

• Busy-Lizzie

Busy-Lizzie Total Gardener

Retired
      Ratings:
      +3,120
      That is a good point raised by @fairygirl. Don't plant too close to a fence or wall as the earth is too dry there. Also when you water a shrub give it a whole watering can or bucketful of water.

• fairygirl

fairygirl Total Gardener

retired
      Ratings:
      +4,485
      This is why location matters so much. We have no problem here planting climbers near walls or fences, especially in south to west facing sites, because they don't dry out so easily due to the direction of the prevailing weather and the amount of rainfall. Even when improved, the soil doesn't really dry out easily, even in the raised beds, and that includes during summer.

It's why proper, thorough watering from the start in drier areas is important - to get those roots right down. :smile:

• Like Like x 1