ITS Raining..!!

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by wildflower, Jul 20, 2006.

1. wildflower

wildflower Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    jjordie..you had rain ?? how lovely..see i have heard it three times now today allready that its going to be hotter in august..i think i am going to buy another cooling system ..in last nights paper it said they are selling a fan every 2 seconds and a cooling system every 30 seconds..some one is making mega money out of our misery.. :eek:

2. jjordie

jjordie ex-mod

Ratings:
    +206
    The Met Office site does not indicate any warmer for August phew! - thank goodness.

It also says this winter (Dec to Jan) will be milder than average and probably much wetter.

[​IMG]

3. wildflower

wildflower Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    This heatwave for august information must be coming from somewhere..as you are over the other side of the uk to me and you have heard it also..it does say on the met office we will have a wet winter i can cope with that after this..its even hot on the computer..the heat seems to jump off the screen at you..well we were forcast showers and the sun is now out again !! [​IMG]

4. Hornbeam

Hornbeam Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Daily Express covers the expected August heatwave too, but I suppose it depends on your politics as to whether you believe that paper or not. It looks likely to me - sustained high pressure and hot winds coming from the Mediterranean. Some years we get pink Saharan sand too. July was the hottest July on record and first week in August is statistically the hottest week of the year, so the pundits forecast an August record breaker. I'll wait and see... a swing round to south-westerly winds is what we need to bring in some Atlantic rain. I can cope with the heat, if only there was a good soaking shower a well. Still not a drop has fallen.

5. Banana Man

Banana Man You're Growing On Me ...

SuperHero...
    Ratings:
    +407
    This sustained heat in the 30's is getting a bit annoying now. You wake up in the morning feeling like you have exposure from contiuous nights on top of the duvet. And then you can't get any real work done becasue the sun seems to be everywhere. The garden is loving the tropical weather but could do with a bit more breeze! Wet winter sounds good to me but hope it is mild as wet and cold spells 'rot' for us tropical nuts!

6. wildflower

wildflower Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Agree BM...i have a thermometer in the living room and its not gone below 29 with all the fans and cooler on...dread to think what its like upstairs..wish i could turn the house around to face the opposite direction..so the sun just skims accross it..have just looked on the met site and their is some rain creeping up the country..it seems to have sprinted past hornbeam and is more or less in the centre of the uk...the met office updates the long range on a friday and monday afternoon so we will have to monitor this expected heat wave.. :cool:

7. Banana Man

Banana Man You're Growing On Me ...

SuperHero...
    Ratings:
    +407
    We had about 30 minutes of rain yesterday and it was like some one turned the heating off at last. 30 minute clammy free, then is stopped raining and clam central reappeared. Its no wonder they give out heat wave warnings for the elderly. My nan is in hospital at the moment with various old timers diseases one of them being cancer of course and everyone is so weak from the intensity and humidity.

8. jjordie

jjordie ex-mod

Ratings:
    +206
    Sorry to hear about your Nan BM.
    You're right , us elderly feel the heat so much more :( and also having a thyroid problem the body's thermometer doesn't work as it should (I know, bring on the violins) [​IMG]

I feel at times as though I'm melting away but doesn't seem to slim me much. Was hoping it was helping towards the long ago, half-forgotten, New Years Resolution to lose a couple of stones. :(

And as you said, the short, though heavy,rain last evening didn't lower the temperature for long.

9. wildflower

wildflower Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    sorry to hear about your nan bm i bet its roasting in the hospital..when we had our 20 minutes of rain yesterday it was brilliant it looks like the rain heading this way will miss me..stingo may get some as she is over that way..more east than me..jjordie have you tried kelp for your thyroid ?..its really good even the uk thyroid site lists it as a thing to try as i looked for a friend..I am just hot as its airless not because of illness..my poor dog has been sat in front of his air cooler all morning..i keep throwing ice in it and he just sits their..today is the first time he has eaten in 3 days..i am going to get some of his hair off to try and cool him down a bit.."just The Hairy bits.."certainly dont fancy this into august..if this is what is to come then we will have to seriously rethink the garden.. :mad:

10. sparkle

sparkle Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    not seen rain for 3 weeks. I got outside to have much lunc and what do you know - it starts raining!

then promptly stops as soon as I came inside again :(

11. Rich

Rich Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    The only rain we've had are those large splots which evaporate before they have a chance to link up with other splots.

12. wildflower

wildflower Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    my daughter who lives in the east midlands has just told me they had thunder storms all night and now at this moment its throwing it down with rain..how lovely...surely they can spare some... :rolleyes:

13. Hornbeam

Hornbeam Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Rain at last! And what rain!!! Thunder and lightning pretty constant and very heavy rain for an hour and a half so far. Main road is flowing like a river and water pouring down the drive. Lovely stuff :D Nature always balances things out in the end

14. strongylodon

strongylodon Old Member

Retired
    Ratings:
    +29,477
    Still hoping for some rain here, temperatures have only been in the mid 20's, so not as bad as in London or the midlands, I suppose as I have worked in high temperatures (under glass) all my working life I'm used to it but I know it can get some people down and obviously as BM knows, the elderly suffer too.

15. Stingo

Stingo Gardener

Ratings:
    +21
    We have a few spots I actually felt cool for about one minute!

I've just watered a few plants and pots with my watering can just to keep them alive but nothings looking good at the moment is it?

Congrats to hornbeam ;)