ITS Raining..!!

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by wildflower, Jul 20, 2006.

1. chobart

chobart Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Great storm over here has just stopped. Had a swim while it was pouring down and could almost hear all the plants sighing in relief - hate to say it but it is drying out fast and I hear that tomorrow is dry again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. Gogs

Gogs Gardener

Ratings:
    +342
    We had a very brief shower yesterday morning up here.

3. Fran

Fran Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Nothing yesterday, though some got a deluge. However this afternoon if fell down in buckets ful - flooded my patio and side path for a while. Thankfully I'm on a hill, so no problem other than a bit of paddling outside. Others in the area were not so lucky. They say in parts they had the month's rainfall in an hour :eek:

4. shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
    Ratings:
    +122,455
    Great!!!! The really heavy rain started about 6.15 this evening and continued on and off for 3 hours. I haven't seen Hornbeam's garden washing past my front door yet. Driveway and path under inches of water our courgettes, butternut squash and runner beans must be loving it. Couldn't post on GC because we have had three powercuts this evening - getting fed up having to redo message on answerphone - but it is worth it if we have this lovely rain.

Mrs shiney went out and danced in the rain.

------------------
    shiney

5. rosa

rosa Gardener

Ratings:
    +14
    its getting hotter here on the north east coast it is normally us that has rain, thunderstorms etc
    what is going on, i cant believe this :confused:
    I am not complaining this is wonderful the best ever :D

6. wildflower

wildflower Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    no rain here it slipped past and today looks as hot as ever again...bet hornbeam is out in his boat with all the rain he has had..I dont grudge it him as he hasnt had his share for ages..i dont know how it keeps missing me..it must be over in the east all the time...i tried to get another air cooler and guess what SOLD OUT..my husband went to get more ice cube trays to several shops guess what SOLD OUT..will get some in bham saturday..hopefully..i am going to see if i can make some ice in plastic bags to keep my cooler topped up..i spend more hours in the day filling it up ..than i would like.. :mad:

7. rosietutu

rosietutu Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +434
    Heat...You do not know it...Tuesday last the plumbers arrived to install a new boiler under the Goverments Warm Front scheme for us old uns
    they were here two days made the obligatory mess supplied constantly with cups of tea etc.. all finished Mrs, was announced now we will have to run the heating at Maximum to test it
    Yeah Gods 35 C in a very short time and the radiaters still warm the next day ! still be thankful that I will not have to worry in the winter...

8. jjordie

jjordie ex-mod

Ratings:
    +206
    Rosietu, lol!
    Typical isn't it - that you have to turn the heating on when it is already so hot, but as you say, think of the cosy wintertime, always assuming that you can afford to have it on now the prices are going sky high!

9. wildflower

wildflower Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    rosietu..i had a new heating system last november the mess was a nightmare at one stage i had 9 men roaming around all with dirty feet dropping mess ... :mad: and the heating system never reached the tempretures it has recently all winter....i might add it took 10 days for mine to be installed..i was on the verge of a breakdown...

10. wildflower

wildflower Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    No rain as yet we are still dry and dusty..they have forcast some again today ..but it seems to miss the west midlands..will keep on dancing.. [​IMG]

11. Kandy

Kandy Will be glad to see the sun again soon.....

Head gardener
    Ratings:
    +6,543
    Wildflower.Which part of the West Midlands are you from.I am in the East Midlands and If you click on to our village forum you will see some photo's of the storms we have had this week.

www.mawsleyvillageforum.co.uk

They are under the heading Storms last night

Kandy

12. jjordie

jjordie ex-mod

Ratings:
    +206
    Kandyfloss, that is a really good site and seems like a great community.
    And the storm pics are brilliant!

13. auntie

auntie Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I'm in the west midlands and there isnt a cloud in the sky!!!We are like a desert here and a lot of my plants are dying no matter how much recycled water I add. So heres hoping it comes our way

14. fmay

fmay Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    We are hoping for rain today (typical - our son plays cricket on Saturdays and has to travel for 2 hours to the game today - he will not be amused if it is rained off!)

15. wildflower

wildflower Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Kandyfloss ..i am in the west midlands on the border of wolverhampton ..yuk..i know you have had storms as my daughter lives about 20 minutes from leicester..she has had loads of rain...well today i went to birmingham it was boiling caught the train home and the air conditioning was broken in the overcrowded train it must have been a 100 degrees at least the sweat ran down us..fortunately we were only on their for 20 minutes..and it was so hot virgin were handing out free water....well we got back and i could see the clouds getting darker and the wind has picked up and i did feel a few spots but nothing exciting as yet,..but i do believe we may get some rain later..will now look at your storms... [​IMG]