Ivy, friend or foe?

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by forget-me-not, Aug 13, 2008.

1. The Nut

The Nut Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    OMG pro ......... them knees are like knots in cotton ,,,,, now get covered up otherwise pops with go into organism mode

must find that gun

2. Pro Gard

Pro Gard Gardener

Ratings:
    +6
    Nevermind, you might be clearing hogweed tomorrow,

I almost wishi was!!!

im painting tommorow, front and side doors uc and gloss, four geoirgan style windows then the front side of the house masonry on Sat.

Dont mind the painting as it makes a change from normal but they have 5 dogs so itll be a nigtmare with them running about all day.

3. Ivory

Ivory Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    Lollopop, sister, I also like ivy,and the virginia creeper covered house. Mind, I would never let a beautiful old house get so smothered with any creeper, but many so calledarchtecture of the 60-70ies would be better off treated like this ;)

Pro thanks for trying to keep the girls happy. Next assignment, rueful smile!

:D

4. Beechleaf

Beechleaf Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Returning to the subject.
    I'm with Ivory.
    Ivy makes good ground cover, and it's also easy to make it in to a bush if you give it frame to climb over. It seems to start making flower and berries when it's got to the top of whatever it's climbing. It's tough, and never seems to get disease. The insects like the flowers, the birds like the berries, and they like to nest in it. My bush of ivy -~3m high and 2m wide has a nest in every year -usually Robin or hedge sparrow.
    And usually it doesn't cost anything, which is always a plus

5. The Lost Antheus

The Lost Antheus Gardener

Ratings:
    +5
    I want to know what mountains pro was flexing his abs in? And the fingerless mits was that an abseil or via ferrata thing?

Anyway on the Ivy topic I love ivy and have it growing (under a careful eye) over my garage. I keep it off the house but have always wondered about the structural damage thing as I have seen many old houses where it has been growing for a long time

6. lollipop

lollipop Gardener

Ratings:
    +24
    Hello Antheus,

It is interesting, the ivy question that is (of course any more gratuitous skin shots are very welcome). I have seen it literally pul a wall down-but the house was pretty shabby anyway. In complete contradiction is the ivy in my garden. I live in a 150yr old + house ( it might sound romantic but honestly it`s just cold), and the wall is at least that age with the lower part being probably slightly older-and the ivy hasn`t damged the wall at all. I regularly cut it flat back to the wall and can see it very clearly=no damage at all.

7. spudbristol

spudbristol Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    I think the problem is when it gets in to the pointing ........

8. lollipop

lollipop Gardener

Ratings:
    +24
    So it`s the mixing lad`s fault then, and poor ivy gets such a hard time.

9. spudbristol

spudbristol Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Well it breaks down after time dont it so its all the ivys fault burn it i say BURNNNNNN it allllllll:D

10. lollipop

lollipop Gardener

Ratings:
    +24
    Nooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!! a la Luke Skywalker learning his father IS Darth Vader.

Anyway-what about my wall-that mortar must be something else.

11. spudbristol

spudbristol Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Must just be a good mix i spose an if u keep cutting it back it wont go to mad will it

12. lollipop

lollipop Gardener

Ratings:
    +24
    Now this will definitely throw you, because I only started cutting it back when I moved in here-it had been empty and neglected for a long time. The Ivy was actually spread across the whole length of the wall, and approx 10ft sq spread along the ground. I`m not kidding honest-I was amazed. Good news is this really old wall is the stuff my house is made of-it`ll be here forever.

13. spudbristol

spudbristol Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    well its just luck then lol

14. Pro Gard

Pro Gard Gardener

Ratings:
    +6
    Anesthus,

Itallian dolomites, mnt, ciavial. On the holiday i was mostly doing VFs, but the gloves are general climbing gloves. I wear them for normal rock/ artificial rock climbing and once a year when I get to do a pole climb!

15. lollipop

lollipop Gardener

Ratings:
    +24
    You do pole dances! You have to post a pic of that