JackMcH's Allotment

Discussion in 'Allotments Discussion' started by Jack McHammocklashing, Aug 25, 2015.

1. Jack McHammocklashing

Jack McHammocklashing Sludgemariner

Ex Civil Serpent
    Ratings:
    +7,278
    Thank you @Beckie76
    I am so lucky (First time in my life)
    The allotment works on the principal, you take a starter half plot, and if you can show you can attend it and keep it neat, then you can move on up to a full plot
    Many decide just to keep on the starter plots
    Fortunately the lady that had my plot wanted to move up, so she now has a full plot and I get to work her old plot,
    It is well worked, nutritious, and clean, just as you can see a few surface weeds one dandelion and a small thistle both came out clean by hand pulling
    My soil is good soft and loose about eighteen inches deep

We do have commitments, to assist in the pruning of the fruit trees
    We have a private to us apple and pear orchard, and an open to the Public orchard outside the walled garden (take what you want) (This week no doubt a cider drinker cleared the lot from the Public orchard)

Oh and I am the duty toilet cleaner for the first three days in November :-)

There are three abandoned full plots, but the rule is you have to prove yourself on a starter plot first before you can take one (I have volunteered to keep one plot weed free for the coming year)

We have six bee hives and a bee keeper for pollination of our plots
    As you can see we have rabbit protection, provided and installed by the council

I have to pay my rent to the council in January the princely sum of 5/12ths of £7.50 I just do not know how I can find this payment :-)

As usual just as you want to show interest and impress, I have family commitments this week :-( so I am going tomorrow just to weed a bit, and show face for an hour or so
    then next week get stuck in

Regards
    Jack McH

• Like Like x 6
    • Fern4

Fern4 Total Gardener

The gardener of the house!
      Ratings:
      +7,491
      Sounds like a cracking place to grow stuff Jack. I wish you all the best with it. :)

• Friendly Friendly x 1
      • Beckie76

Beckie76 Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +8,435
        :wow: It's very organised & I love the fact that there's a public orchard, that's a really nice idea :dbgrtmb:.
        They are really putting you to the test...toilet duty as well as keeping an eye on your plot! I have no doubt that you will amaze them with your skills & they will soon be moving up to a bigger plot :blue thumb:.
        I'm really excited about this, I can't wait to see your plot flourish :blue thumb:

• silu

silu gardening easy...hmmm

Ratings:
        +8,083
        Looks a great plot to get started on. If you are ever passing near Newburgh or Auchtermuchty and could do with some "mare's best" (horse manure) just pm me and I'll give you directions to where I live. Bring bags and help yourself!

• Like Like x 1
        • sue young

sue young Gardener

Ratings:
          +60
        • Jack McHammocklashing

Ex Civil Serpent
          Ratings:
          +7,278
          No problem with toilet duties, I was Captain of the heads on one ship
          (You put on a wet suit enter the septic tank and scrape for a couple of hours a week, best not to bite your finger nails at dinner :-) )

I managed to leave my in-laws for an hour this morning, and did some weeding, I got 10sq meters done, measured up the paths for edging
          Attended one of my Daughters birthday bash,
          Then at home I made the edging planks with stakes attached
          One SIL has offered to help me bash them in on Tuesday evening, other SIL provided the wood, tanadised planks and stakes, BIL shook his head as dinner was late

Jack McH

• Like Like x 2
          • Beckie76

Beckie76 Total Gardener

Ratings:
            +8,435
            Sounds like you are cracking on with it nicely Jack:dbgrtmb:,
            I had a little chuckle about BIL shaking his head :heehee:, he won't be shaking his head next year when you deliver some lovely fresh veg to his house! :biggrin:
            Great that both of your SIL are being so supportive, I bet secretly they both want an allotment :hapydancsmil:. Do keep updating us with your progress :dbgrtmb:

• Like Like x 1
            • Jack McHammocklashing

Ex Civil Serpent
              Ratings:
              +7,278
              Through the week, I have just done one hour a day
              I am now completely weed free, and I have edged the last path with planking, weed control fabric and bark chips
              This evening I had the grand kids, assist (more hindrance than help :-) ) but they did a good job pulling weeds and a wonder around other allotments

There was a delivery of four tons of Mares Best today (communal) so managed a few barrow loads and tomorrow is dig in day, I will take my camera this time I hope

I have had this allotment six days and I am now ready to plant up, Only because I have moved in as the lady before me had just moved up to a full plot

I am a bit worried/concerned to the soil, it is black fine and dry, My raised bed at home (very small as in 8' x 8' was made up with MPC and Mares Best, so very soft and damp, Though everyone else I have met so far is very happy with the soil and the produce, I have a secret weapon with @silu who has assisted me well

Jack McH

• Like Like x 3
              • Scrungee

Scrungee Well known for it

Ratings:
                +28,996
                Simply grow your runner beans up a tall variety of sweetcorn! (Plant a long double row rather than in a block)

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
                • Informative Informative x 1
                  Last edited: Oct 2, 2015
                • Jack McHammocklashing

Ex Civil Serpent
                  Ratings:
                  +7,278
                  Monday is council inspection day, any unkept allotments, are given a verbal warning, If not up to standard after four more weeks written warning and after four weeks kicked out

Now I am working an allotment, I realise just how hard it is, and to be honest, if I was given a verbal warning then I would hold my hands up and quit, not dragging it out, then someone else can have a go
                  I can see the first month saying sorry I am ill but want to keep going, and second month saying it does not appear I will be able to continue, but to offer no reasonable excuse, seems pointless to deny someone a plot Whilst weeds take over

Jack McH

• Friendly Friendly x 1
                  • silu

silu gardening easy...hmmm

Ratings:
                    +8,083
                    Sounds as tho you maybe have end of season blues Jack? I can get a bit fed up with gardening at the end of a long hard and mostly enjoyable season. You have only just got the allotment so you haven't yet experienced the good feelings of success with it which makes all the work worth while.
                    From the photos you put up of your inherited plot, it doesn't look in bad nick at all and I'd be surprised if any council bods moan about it. After all you've only just got your plot so you can't be held responsible for the previous person's weeds. Remember we are coming into winter and weeds stop growing thank god!
                    Try not to make having an allotment a chore, when you go there do a bit "Rome wasn't built in a day".Tackle a small section at a time, it makes any task doable rather than looking impossible. Because I have a massive garden (not complaining!) I sometimes walk out into it, go "OMG" and promptly walk back indoors again. Maybe think to yourself what you want to easily achieve on your next visit and do that rather than think about everything you haven't got done yet.
                    My only other words of advice would be don't get caught up in the somewhat competitive side of allotments/gardening!!!!
                    There are some right bu..ers out there who can be very discouraging with withering remarks about other people's efforts/results. Presumably you have taken on the allotment for fun and to try and grow some edible veg/fruit not show off. I know there has been trouble on an allotment in Perth were people actually came to blows (wish I'd seen that:)). Think it was all to do with somebody putting weeds on the communal compost heap...sigh! Hopefully you will meet some other decent folk who also have allotments that you can learn from and have a good blether with.

• Like Like x 2
                    • Jack McHammocklashing

Ex Civil Serpent
                      Ratings:
                      +7,278
                      Oh no Silu, I am fine
                      I was referring to those who have just let them go, why go on if you have no intention of keeping it up thus "If I " if I was at the stage where I had to be given a warning, I would not drag it out
                      Thankfully I am quite happy and getting along

Today, I continued digging in until rain stopped play
                      In a week I have cleared what little weed there was, set up path edge kick boards, weeded path, laid heavy duty black poly and bark chips on path

DSCF1286_001.jpg

• Like Like x 13
                      • Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
                        +0
                        Getting there Jack :thumbsup:

• Agree Agree x 1
                        • ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
                          +100,834
                          That soil looks pretty good, Jack:coffee:

• Agree Agree x 1
                          • Beckie76

Beckie76 Total Gardener

Ratings:
                            +8,435
                            :wow: Jack, you really have done a fantastic job, I think you are in need of a :star:. Your plot looks brilliant well done you :yay:

• Like Like x 1
                            • Agree Agree x 1