1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

JackMcH's Allotment

Discussion in 'Allotments Discussion' started by Jack McHammocklashing, Aug 25, 2015.

1. Jack McHammocklashing

Jack McHammocklashing Sludgemariner

Ex Civil Serpent
    Ratings:
    +7,281
    A bit disappointed, but I suppose I am lucky
    I dug up my Rocket earlies, and was expecting nice egg sized potatoes, No such luck they are the size of baking potatoes 5" x 3", I must have left them too long ? though not what I wanted they are all clean, no scab and no slug damage
    I thought I would have nice earlies a bit like Jersey Royals
    Taste OK but not very earthy,, Only 2lb a plant

Jack McH

• Like Like x 3
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • silu

silu gardening easy...hmmm

Ratings:
      +8,083
      Wow you have been busy Jack:star:. Living very close to where you are I know exactly what the weather has been like and it ain't been great altho most of my veg haven't seemed to mind and have done ok. It's only a maybe but husband is a member of Perth model railway club. Every autumnish someone who is a member brings vast quantities of veg seed,mostly Unwins I think, to the club. I think the person is responsible for the seed displays in supermarkets etc and empties the displays in and around October from memory. He gives the packs away to anybody who wants them. Apart from say Parsnip seed not keeping very well (I have loads of Parsnips growing nicely from the seed I got from the person last Autumn so even that was fine). most veg seed keeps for a good couple of years.
      If I do get the chance of seeds this year would you be interested? I could then easily arrange to meet you as often come to Glenrothes to shop. I obviously don't know atm what if anything I'll get but if you would like seeds is there anything you definitely would like and anything definitely not? so can send husband up with a list of what we'd choose to have.

• Like Like x 2
      • Friendly Friendly x 2
      • Jack McHammocklashing

Ex Civil Serpent
        Ratings:
        +7,281
        Oh No! I was at the allotment on Sunday all was well and I dug some potatoes for home.
        Daughters wanted some today,
        Off I went and OMG my whole potato crop is blighted, all 48 shaws black and on the ground

I have cut all the shaws off, and binned them in the safe skip, the potatoes appear good
        I thought blight appeared and took its time like a couple of weeks to show destruction not two days ?

My intention now is to dig up the potatoes and put them in Hessian sacks, then keep in the dark cool shed
        Any thoughts or preferably ADVICE

Jack McH

• Friendly Friendly x 3
        • Like Like x 1
        • Steve R

Steve R Soil Furtler

Carer
          Ratings:
          +3,698
          You are already doing or about to do the right thing. If blight hits take the shaws off right away, then harvest and store the spuds. But you will have to keep an eye on the spuds in storage and remove any that start to rot.

One of the old sayings is to plant your potatoes on Good Friday, as sometimes Easter can be in the last few days of March I always aim to have mine planted at that time. This means I start lifting first earlies end of June start of July and ALL my potatoes are up and in storage by the end of July.

I do this to avoid (as much as possible) blight. I had blight the very first year at our allotment, but never again since. I do not like using chemicals on my plot so I wont use Bordeaux mixture against blight.

And if you have not already, sign up here http://potatoes.ahdb.org.uk/online-toolbox/fight-against-blight-tool to receive text alerts of when blight has been reported in your or surrounding areas, which gives you a heads up to be more vigilant on your own crop.

Steve...:)

• Informative Informative x 3
          • Like Like x 1
          • Loofah

Loofah Admin Staff Member

Ratings:
            +21,698
            Rubbish news Jack. Hope you like spuds though as they'll be accompanying every meal for a while! [I'll alert the galley]

• Funny Funny x 2
            • Like Like x 1
            • Jack McHammocklashing

Ex Civil Serpent
              Ratings:
              +7,281
              This weekend is the Annual clean up and tidy the abandoned allotments, followed by a burger and a soft drink BBQ
              I am going, but to work on my OWN allotment, I will advise the Treasurer, the Chairwoman, and the committee that As their plots are either side of mine it is more important to clear the blight, or if they insist then they are welcome to the blight

• Like Like x 2
              • Agree Agree x 2
              • Steve R

Steve R Soil Furtler

Carer
                Ratings:
                +3,698
                Hi Jack,

You have already removed and binned the shaws so you have cleared the blight as much as you can anyway, I'm not sure what else you can do now.

Blight spores are airborne so the fact that you where hit with it means that the plots either side of you already have the spores now. If they still have standing potato plants, chances are they are growing more blight resistant varieties than you where growing, for instance one of the "Sarpo" varieties.

I have seen Blight kill off a Kestrel (2nd early) crop, whilst it left a Sarpo Mira (Maincrop) crop right next to them, unmolested.

Have a good look around the link I posted earlier, there is some good information there, although like spuds.....you have to dig for it..lol

Steve...:)

• Like Like x 2
                • Informative Informative x 1
                • Jack McHammocklashing

Ex Civil Serpent
                  Ratings:
                  +7,281
                  Hi Steve
                  I am still digging through that site, I have a Blight watch account, The email for smiths, and indeed the red blight day, I only got the day after the deed was done, having said that, I was unaware of the availability of spraying anyway

Cheers Jack McH

• Like Like x 2
                  • Jack McHammocklashing

Ex Civil Serpent
                    Ratings:
                    +7,281
                    I will have to be extra careful dodging the RPO or I might end up Peeling them too

• Loofah

Loofah Admin Staff Member

Ratings:
                    +21,698
                    Oh the chores of the Regulators lol

• Jack McHammocklashing

Ex Civil Serpent
                    Ratings:
                    +7,281
                    Well I must admit, I went to the annual clean up and BBQ and yes I did work for the committee I assisted weeding the Orchard, After we had a good friendly meeting of Allotmenteers at the BBQ a good time, though I just had the one burger and can of juice and went home, so as not to a see all take all person
                    @silu she arranged a meeting later in the week, and a real star, she provided me with a good in fruit tomato plant, some tomatoes and cucumbers,
                    A real genuine, friendly, professional LADY, we had a great chat, she was most kind to me and I thank her for all she has done and offered, Thank you @silu
                    The allotments are once again spick and span, now enjoying the fruits of the Labour

It is my first year as an allotmenteer Taking over an abandoned plot was hard work, but I surprised myself, I have made mistakes, though it was expected, I planted too much variety, though that was the point really, To see what I could grow, and what the Family would use
                    Several varieties of potatoes, and now I have it down to two early's and two mains

Peas Beans and Carrots I have to work on, My favourites but disappointing results,
                    Strawberries I will have to ask the Squirrels how they found them

I do not know how but in time I am ahead of the experienced folk, as in my stuff is ready too early, I have a lot to learn how to space things out, as in all my Cauli came at once and was gone in two weeks, (should have blanched and frozen them) same with the Brocolli

Onions I thought it would be good to plant them domino effect, all that did was mean I could not Hoe them in rows, as the interspaced ones blocked me

Thanks for reading an hope you all have good crops

Jack McH

• Like Like x 4
                    • Friendly Friendly x 3
                    • Informative Informative x 1
                    • silu

silu gardening easy...hmmm

Ratings:
                      +8,083
                      Great to meet you too:) @Jack McHammocklashing. Agree we both gave our jaws a good work out! I have repeated your story re the lost luggage to quite a few folk who also thought it hysterical:lunapic 130165696578242 5:. Keep up the good work with your allotment. Gardening be it growing veg or otherwise is a huge learning curve with lots of highs when you succeed with something and a fair few lows when nowt grows or what does gets scoffed or wrecked by the weather.
                      I'm sure you will be even more successful next season now having those precious commodities, knowledge and experience.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
                      • ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
                        +100,836
                        [​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
                        • Jack McHammocklashing

Ex Civil Serpent
                          Ratings:
                          +7,281
                          All cleared down for winter now, mostly dug over, and tomorrow I take delivery of three tons of cow dung, which I have to barrow from the gate 09:30 not seen that time since I retired five years ago :-) also never walked more than 100 yards in the past year so it should prove interesting, Large flask of tea and box of biccies with me

• Like Like x 4
                          • Agree Agree x 1
                          • Friendly Friendly x 1
                          • shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
                            Ratings:
                            +118,354
                            Work slowly at it and it will be OK. Plenty of stops for :coffee: (can't be anything stronger whilst driving a wheelbarrow :heehee:) and, with a bit of luck, someone may give you a hand. :blue thumb:

• Agree Agree x 2