January Photo Competition 2006 !!!!

Discussion in 'Photo Competitions' started by Webmaster, Jan 5, 2006.

1. jjordie

jjordie ex-mod

Ratings:
    +206
    :D Hope you've got a tall postman Steve.

2. Paladin

Paladin Gardening...A work of Heart

Retired but still grubbing the soil.
    Ratings:
    +770
    Takes me ages to cut the lawn [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. dalbuie

dalbuie Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    [​IMG]

Old fashioned 'Tattie Picker'

4. dalbuie

dalbuie Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
  5. dalbuie

dalbuie Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
  6. frogesque

frogesque Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    This is part of my friend's garden: The Wreck of the Hesparus (with apologies to Henry Wadsworth Longfellow :D )

It's a work in progress and last year was an overgrown mud patch. The bronze propeller was found in the Firth of Forth by divers and I bought it at an auction years a go for a few pounds, the chimney pots were from her son ( a chimney sweep) and the rocks, sea-coal and the huge lump of driftwood were collected during excursions to the beach while walking her dog. Anyone know where I can get an anchor?

[​IMG]

A product of my friend's wookworking class.

[​IMG]

And a collection of bits of pottery I dug up while clearing the ground prior to laying weed matting and pebbles. We think the house was built on the site of an old pottery. Next door's garden has simmilar finds. Although we have found no records of one there yet, there was a famous pottery a few miles away and some of the painted samples look remarkably like some types of 'Wemyss Ware'* so there may have been attempts to copy it (no cats or pigs yet though!). Plenty of gardens have bits of broken pot in but the clue here is the setters, some splashed with glaze, and fired unglazed pot and earthenware There would have been ample coal for firing from local mines.

[​IMG]

*Wemyss Ware was first made by Robert Heron in his factory in Kirkcaldy between 1882 and 1932, one of the potteries that made the Fife town a centre of the ceramic trade. Artists were brought from central Europe in the mid-1880s, including Karel Nekola from Bohemia, who worked with Heron to create Wemyss Ware, named in honour of the local family at Wemyss Castle.

My friend is also starting a collection of bricks! Honestly you can't take her anywhere! :cool:
    They have all come from round about Fife and are impressed with either the names of different local brickworks or collierys.

[ 23. January 2006, 01:35 AM: Message edited by: frogesque ]

7. Liz

Liz Gardener

Ratings:
    +65
    Hi, My pictures are taken on a mobile phone, so are not good enough for the competition, but I thought they qualified on subject matter!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    This is a mosaic in the newly finished terrace, made from some of the little bits of broken china collected whilst digging since I moved in 2 years ago.

[​IMG]
    This is a birdbath/ feeder made from granite and dug up by my father in his Falmouth garden. It is really too shallow for water [1/2" deep] so at the moment it has seed in it, and also my boy dog, looking the very essence of hang-dog because he knows he shouldn't be there!
    I am always amazed at the quality of photos forum members take!

8. Hex

Hex Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I guess this would class as unusual and in the garden.
    This was my initial attempt at a unique greenhouse structure... it eventually became a bird aviary.

[​IMG]

I have the mk2 version planned for this year and then i can get the garden looking more like a garden and less like a building site.

If i come even halfway close to your wonderful looking gardens i`ll be happy [​IMG]

9. jjordie

jjordie ex-mod

Ratings:
    +206
    My first pic - nearest I could get to anything 'interesting' in the garden.

TREE CAFE

[​IMG]

These are filled at least twice a week so we need to buy the nuts in large sacks and usually a couple of fat balls in the tree too but all gone at the moment! :D

[ 28. January 2006, 04:38 PM: Message edited by: jjordie ]

10. tigglestiggles

tigglestiggles Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Taken on an allotment on top of my own backgarden that needs a lot of work! The allotment is just a mess!
    I can offer the open air shed, the bramble greenhouse, a garden chair of a different sort!!

[size="1"][ 30. January 2006, 04:22 PM: Message edited by: tigglestiggles ][/size]

11. Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
    Ratings:
    +14,126
    [​IMG] Hi all,
    Well robbsy, this was harder than I thought.. Good one...! I looked & looked & thought, oh well... Then I thought of the grandchildrens little garden they made out of our old coal bunker. They painted it out then filled it with their pots & favourite garden things... Even the Holly fern is planted in an old washbasin..! :D Looks good when all is in flower.. :D
    So here is our entry... [​IMG]
    Washbasin in the coal bunker...!! :D

[ 31. January 2006, 12:08 PM: Message edited by: Marley Farley ]