Jury service.....help.....

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by Kandy, Dec 17, 2008.

1. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +92,087
    Thats us two in court tomorrow then.:D

2. Victoria

Victoria Lover of Exotic Flora

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +55,162
    Whey, hey, pete ... where did all those words come from ..... :yho:

3. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +92,087
    I think I saw it on a toilet wall, somewhere.

4. youngdaisydee

youngdaisydee Gardener

Ratings:
    +5
    Ive done it, I tried to get out of, (cant remember excuse) they said i could do 1 week instead of 2 :skp: We (the jury) sat outside the court ready to do our duty on 3 seperate cases when the clerk came out and said the accused had changed his plea..So I never saw inside the courts or sent anyone DOWN :D instead we sat around for a week playing cards.. Booooring :ywn:

5. walnut

walnut Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    Kandy said
    even if you send an innocent person down they will get looked after freed early even if they are accused of murder.

6. Shobhna

Shobhna Gardener

Ratings:
    +8
    Kandy,
    I had to do Jury Service some years ago and yes, it did worry me because I did not like the idea of me having to decide if someone was guilty or innocent.

I did not like the fact that we were all parking out cars in the same car park...that is the person in the dock and us jurors. made me feel very vunerable and when we voiced our fears to the clerk we were told that it was not really a matter for them to worry about.:mad:

I had one interesting case and one boring case in the two weeks. The company I worked for expected me to come to work the minute we were dismissed which meant that I was travelling many many miles in a day.

The Jury Service experience was good although a bit worrisome, I used to come home a bit stressed and as usual, when I'm stressed I clean the oven so my oven was sparkling clean by the time my two weeks were up.:gnthb:

Call it an experience Kandy and go with the flow.

Wazzakins was asked to do Jury Service too and although he is in a profession where you would think that they would or should not be asked to do Jury Service because they might be a bit biased since they have put these people in the dock in the first place, he was told that he could refuse only once, the second time he would have to do Jury Service, and that is exactly what they made him do.

7. Lyn

Lyn Gardener

Industrial carpet machinist
    Ratings:
    +77
    I have enough stress in my life without having to put up with this rubbish I don't believe I should have do.
    Leave it to those who want to do it.
    I would never say yes or no anyway but stay impartial.
    I don't feel I am worldly enough to judge anyone about anything.
    What would / could they do if I just said No?

8. Sussexgardener

Sussexgardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +41
    Shobhna, the company you worked for sounds like they were pulling a fast one, as they were getting paid by the powers that be for your absence.

I do think the jury service system needs replacing, but with what? Do we really want professional jurors? As has become evident time and again, professionals are not immune to bribery and corruption-at least "12 good men (and women!) and true" are a lot less likely to be susceptible, if only because they do the job once in a blue moon.

9. Dave W

Dave W Total Gardener

Anything I fancy and can afford!
    Ratings:
    +3,035
    Kandy - You have a very good chance of being excused on the grounds that your sciatica would cause you pain and discomfort if required to sit for a long period. Your discomfort would also distract you from fully concentrating on the evidence being heard. Two very good grounds for excusal and most courts are sympathetic regarding such matters, though you could be required to produce a letter from your GP to support your claim.
    Being called for jury service doesn't mean that you will have to sit on a jury as even if your name is balloted, defence council can reject a certain number of jurors.

Last time I was called for service and heard what the case was, I knew for sure that I'd be rejected as the case was a kid who was alleged to have vandalised a school - I was a headteacher at the time!

10. youngdaisydee

youngdaisydee Gardener

Ratings:
    +5
    Lyn. They could Suppena (sp) you..

11. Little Miss Road Rage

Little Miss Road Rage Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    I've never been called up either but my dad has. The first time he was called up he sent a letter saying he couldn't do it and so when he was called the second time he had to do it. He found it boring and got sent home a few times. But he's done it now so he's hoping he won't have to do it again.

If I did get called up I wouldn't be able to do it due to my ME. I would be knackered by the time I arrived there and the stress would wipe me out. I also have concentration problems and memory problems and can't sit still for long either.

12. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +48,990
    Not suggesting you do this Kandy but it worked for this person:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2008/nov/24/ukcrime1

Juror shares trial details on Facebook:
    "A female juror was dismissed from a trial after posting details of the case on Facebook and asking friends whether they thought the defendants were guilty.

The woman went against strict rules forbidding jurors from discussing cases with family and friends by posting details of the sexual assault and child abduction trial on the social networking site.

After her actions were discovered, she was removed from the case at Burnley crown court, in Lancashire, and the trial continued with a jury of 11 people.

A Courts Service spokesman said today: "A juror was dismissed from a case on November 18 for discussing a case outside the court."

13. Kandy

Kandy Will be glad to see the sun again soon.....

Head gardener
    Ratings:
    +6,543
    Hi everyone just popping on to give you an update.I have been down to our surgery and have explained everything to the Practise Manager and she has taken details from the information that was sent to me and is going to have a word with my Dr so that a letter can be written about my Sciatica problems.

My Dr has all the information through my visits to them initialy,plus the results of what was found from the MRI scan and also the reports from the Orthopedic Consultant and the Physiotherapists so the Courts will be able to see that I am not just saying I have back problems to weedle out of it.

The surgery is going to ring me when the letter is ready and I will send it off with the forms I have to fill in.I just hope they do it quickly as I have to get the forms back within seven days of receiving them.Also I have to pay for the letter,which I don't mind doing,as it will be better than being in pain and discomfort for all day long possibly up to two weeks.

At least when I am up and moving about it is bearable it just starts to get quiet bad when I sit or stand for long periods of time and when I lie in bed.We are in the process of trying to get a new bed,but knowing our luck we shall order one and the company will go ingto liquidation.

I don't think the Courts will want me to keep fidgeting all day long and if I have to wait around I will have to pace up and down,something they won't be very pleased about.

Thankyou all for all your words and thoughts on the matter and will let you know how it goes as to whether I still have to go.

14. lollipop

lollipop Gardener

Ratings:
    +24
    I hope it goes the way you hope it to Kandy-no one should have their Christmas ruined.

15. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +48,990
    Thats good Kandy, I hope they let you know before the christmas break. Please don't worry about it otherwise - I'm certain you will get excused with that evidence.