Jury service.....help.....

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by Kandy, Dec 17, 2008.

1. Kandy

Kandy Will be glad to see the sun again soon.....

Head gardener
    Ratings:
    +6,543
    Thanks Claire and John.I am due to go February 9th so it is a few weeks away but I will still worry until I hear one way or another....

2. Gogs

Gogs Gardener

Ratings:
    +342
    Best of luck Kandy ,hope you hear soon . xx :thumb:

3. Kandy

Head gardener
    Ratings:
    +6,543
    Thanks Gogs,just waiting for a phone call now when the letter is ready to pick up:thmb:

4. Lyn

Lyn Gardener

Industrial carpet machinist
    Ratings:
    +77
    Well, I'm sorry but I think it's a disgrace that someone who is obviously not well as to go through all of this stress.
    I bet the rouges and thief's are happy they don't have to do it.
    No it's the law abiding good people who are expected to drop everything and in my opinion put themselves at risk and do their so called duty.
    I don't no what the answer is but it needs to be changed.
    Sitting in full view of these people, their families and friends would fill me full of horror.
    I really don't think I could do it.
    I would be to afraid.

5. Scotkat

Scotkat Head Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +827
    I have been called up this year June then cancelled July then cancelled August then cancelled Sept then cancelled Kandy and tryed to get out of it being self employed and know.

And about 18yrs ago I an da few neighbours were called adn cas insame car park real scary and we had to sit th ewhold day untill 15 got picked I got out of that but hated andscared every minute and this year have worried about.

Hopefully 2009 I dont get the same thing but will be able to get out as may be in for an operation .

Hope you get out of it.

6. Little Miss Road Rage

Little Miss Road Rage Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
  7. DAG

DAG Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Hi again Kandy, just seen this thread, and have to say that I have done Jury service twice and been called recently to do it a third time.

Not feeling up to it a third time, I gave them my medical details and referred them to my doctor and after a week or so they replied that I was excused on this occasion! Well I am 70 next April, so there won't be another!

The actual jury service is nothing much to worry about anyway, you are all in it together and have plenty of boring time to think about it. Some of it can be quite entertaining, depending on which court you are in. I have never served for more than 1 week and I think it would be unusual to although I think they reserved 10 days each time.

Do fill in the refusal part of the form and give them your doctors particulars to show that you are not bluffing! But if you do have to do it, believe me Kandy there is nothing to worry about apart from your own medical issues.

8. Kandy

Head gardener
    Ratings:
    +6,543
    Hi everyone just popping on to give you an update on my Jury service.Had another letter last Monday, January 5th to ask me why I hadn't sent back the form that they had sent me and If I didn't send them straight back I would be liable to a heavy fine(£1,000} I rang them straight away and after hanging on for ten minutes wating to be connected I finally got through to a human being and had to explain everything to her as I had done the week before when I rang them the first time and spoke to someone else.

I told her that I had sent the form back before Christmas to which she replied that they had got a backlog to go through.Well if that was the case why bother to type out a letter dated January1st{Do they work on New Years day?} if they know they have loads to go through because of the Christmas snail mail grrrrr.She wanted to know exactly what day I had recieved the forms and exactly what day I posted them off to London.{What a silly question to ask a blonde:dh:}

Anyway,I was told to ring back at the end of the week to find out where in the system my form was.{As if I haven't got better things to waste my money on}On Friday I recived a brown envelope through the door and when I opened it it was from them letting me know that on this Occassion I have been excused from the Jury Service :gnthb:

Thanks to you all for giving me all your advice and at least you will know what to expect if you get a brown envelope through the letterbox with Her Majesty's Court Service written on the back of it:p

9. lollipop

lollipop Gardener

Ratings:
    +24
    I`m glad it turned out the way you hoped it would.

10. Sussexgardener

Sussexgardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +41
    Good to see the Judicial Service is as bureaucratic and inefficient as any other state department. Excellent news that you've been excused :)

11. capney

capney Head Gardener

Retired and glad of it.
    Ratings:
    +1,320
    A result........wonderful..so pleased
    robert

12. takemore02withit

takemore02withit Gardener

Ratings:
    +40
  13. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +48,989
    :gnthb:

That cheered me up! :lollol:

... and I'm pleased it turned out OK for you in the end Kandy, although what a palaver you had with with their ****py admin, and receiving threatening letters about a £1000 fine just because they have a backlog is well out of order - I'd be tempted to complain to my MP about that, why should public servants be so high handed.

14. Kandy

Head gardener
    Ratings:
    +6,543
    John they get you always.I have often thought about not filling in my Electoral form when they send it out each year but it states on there that if you don't send it back you can be fined for that as well.No wonder people are fed up with the systems in this country....

15. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +48,989
    I think you're right Kandy, sometimes its best to let sleeping dogs lie.