Just a load of old Gargoyles

Discussion in 'Members Hobbies' started by Cookie Monster, Apr 17, 2008.

1. Cookie Monster

Cookie Monster Gardener

Ratings:
    +6
    Willo - they are lovely photos and great gargs!

Isn't it in Prague where there is a cathedral which has interior decor made up of human skulls and bones!!?? I think it is. I saw a postcard once - a bit like the Catacombs of Paris meet Lawrence Llewellyn Bowen!

Here is a corridor in Wells Cathedral with some lovely Gothic stonework on the ceiling.

Compost Corner - alias my mum - can just be seen in one!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I am so glad I have joined this forum - there are so many of you out there that share the things I love too. :):):)

2. Paladin

Paladin Gardening...A work of Heart

Retired but still grubbing the soil.
    Ratings:
    +770
    Cookie..:D...Brasnose Chapel was where a lady in one episode was going to jump off the Organ in the balcony...remember?
    I also sat in the Court room gallery in Oxford when John was filming the series in which he was a Lawyer...Kaniver QC..was it? Kaviner even!

3. Cookie Monster

Cookie Monster Gardener

Ratings:
    +6
    Willo - re the church in Prague - here is a link...

http://www.kostnice.cz/
    Photos courtesy of the above site...
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
    Ratings:
    +122,463
    Hi Cookie, fascinating photos. It looks an interesting hobby - but I don't want to get hooked on it :eek: :). There aren't enough hours in the day to do what I want anyway :D

I'm not quite sure what sort of photos you want us to put up :confused:. Do you want just real gargoyles, or any interesting carvings on buildings and do you want them from any country or just the UK? I'm not sure that I have anything worth bothering with, anyway :D but I can have a look when I go through my photos.

5. takemore02withit

takemore02withit Gardener

Ratings:
    +40
    :eek::eek::eek::eek: Pretty spooky cookie!! :D 02

6. Cookie Monster

Cookie Monster Gardener

Ratings:
    +6
    Hi Shiney - photos of gargoyles primarily - but any interesting stone features on old buildings would be great - like I mentioned, green Man carvings, any interesting stone masonry work on churches or cathedrals - also any really unusual or strange/interesting features within an old church etc... such as old stone tombs. We could also make this a thread for anyone who has photographed lovely old tombstones/gravestone statues. I know the graveyard in Arnos Vale in Bristol has some really old and exotic tombs - I think old stone graves are very photogenic - especially if they have algae/lichen and ivy on them.They are all of interest here! eg I threw in the fossil on Keynsham church just because it was different and an example of unusual local stonework, typical only for that area.

We could call this the mausoleum club! :eek:

PS: Sorry - forgot to say - the UK would be of most interest, but anyone who has travelled and found any examples abroad are more than welcome to post them here - like the ones Willo posted. I am sure there are some very dark European secrets lying in their cathedrals and churches!

7. shiney

Ratings:
    +122,463
    Hi Cookie, one of the reasons I asked was that, in the ancient days when I was at school, one of my teachers beat it into my head (well, a clip round the ear - ouch!! :)) that gargoyles are water spouts and if they don't spew water they are carvings :D.

I may have some piccies of carvings and old religious buildings but not neccessarily all in stone - I'll have a look when I have more time. (Family here for a few days :eek: :D)

8. Kandy

Kandy Will be glad to see the sun again soon.....

Head gardener
    Ratings:
    +6,543
    Hi CM I have always been facinated with old churches and Cathedrals mainly for the Architecture and have always faniced travelling round the British Isles taking photos of them.I like Gargoyles as well but since having the digi have mainly spent my time taking photos of the flora, forna,landscapes, birds etc so havn't had time to get round to taking many photos of churches or their Gargoyles.Facinating subject though :)

Thank you for sharing your hobby with us and to everyone else who has contributed to this facinating subject.:thumb:

9. shiney

Ratings:
    +122,463
    A few stone carvings.

Mayan ruins, Chichen Itza, Yucatan

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Mayan ruins, Copan, Honduras

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This one had fallen from a building

[​IMG]

10. Cookie Monster

Cookie Monster Gardener

Ratings:
    +6
    Hey, great photographs Shiney - and certainly a credit to this thread - the skull carvings in the 3rd photo are my favourites. It is interesting that the nature and inclinations of people from very different geographical backgrounds in history was not too dissimilar.

Thank you :)