1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Just had a hip replacement.

Discussion in 'Gardening For People With Disabilities' started by roders, Nov 27, 2017.

1. strongylodon

strongylodon Old Member

Retired
    Ratings:
    +28,415
    I hope you will be back to full health but as you have been advised, take it slowly and don't try everything too soon. I am glad the op went well.:smile:

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Fat Controller

Fat Controller 'Cuddly' Scottish Admin! Staff Member

Public Transport
      At me 'puter, GCHQ Ashford Office, Middlesex
      Ratings:
      +49,509
      Best wishes for a speedy recovery @roders :)

• Friendly Friendly x 1
      • Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +52,560
        Wishing you well Roders and weeding again in the not to distant future. :)

• Friendly Friendly x 1
        • "M"

"M" Total Gardener

Ratings:
          +31,885
          Speedy healing wishes winging their way to you @roders :grphg:

If they were *that* brilliant ... they would have been getting you *into* bed! ;) :heehee:

:waggy: Follow the Dr's orders <--- did you see that? Orders is an anagram of roders!! :snorky:

• Funny Funny x 4
          • Like Like x 2
          • Friendly Friendly x 1
          • Irmemac

Irmemac Total Gardener

Ratings:
            +1,686
            All the best @roders. I'm sure by spring you will be fighting fit again.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
            • miraflores

miraflores Total Gardener

Ratings:
              +2,389
              Best of luck for a speedy recovery :spinning::coffee:

• Friendly Friendly x 1
              • roders

roders Total Gardener

Ratings:
                +6,948
                Thanks everyone for your good wishes and advice ,it is appreciated.

A few boring bits.

This was my first time in hospital since I was seven having my tonsils out ,it was quite an adventure or as they say in showbiz circles “incredible journey”

I was lucky in as much I had it done in a private hospital on the nhs.It seems that the nurses have so much time with you and nothing to much trouble.
                Little things like when the meals came there was a napkin in the silver ring.......posh or what ;)
                I have to say that they were paranoid about DVT ,I have to wear special stockings and take a blood thinning drug everyday.

Also I was lucky that I worked right up until the day before the opp.that is the secret to stay mobile if possible............Some people are housebound for some time before the opp.

Another surprising thing that they don’t stitch the wound ,they glue it.............I don’t quite know how that is possible but you can shower the day after :scratch:.

Another downside is I have to sleep on my back for up to six weeks.......quite alien to me.

Now of for my morning walk on crutches to build up strength........the sun is shining.....that helps.

• Friendly Friendly x 8
                • roders

roders Total Gardener

Ratings:
                  +6,948
                  Super post M.xx

• Agree Agree x 1
                  • Friendly Friendly x 1
                  • shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
                    Ratings:
                    +118,361
                    They're quite right to be paranoid. :blue thumb:

When I had a DVT it was not very nice, I was in hospital (not allowed to get up for a week), on the drugs for six months and I've had to wear these very tight stockings for the last 23 years! :doh:

• Friendly Friendly x 3
                    • Informative Informative x 2
                    • wiseowl

wiseowl FRIENDLY ADMIN Staff Member

Philosophy of people
                      Ratings:
                      +89,807
                      Morning @roders from all in Woos nest we wish you a speedy recovery my friend and you are in our thoughts:grphg:

• Like Like x 1
                      • Friendly Friendly x 1
                      • silu

silu gardening easy...hmmm

Ratings:
                        +8,083
                        Great to hear you are off for a walk @roders :dbgrtmb:. You sound as tho your are just the right type of person to benefit from having a replacement. Yes I got glued back together after my second replacement (had staples the 1st time). The wound did open up a bit so if I'd had the choice i'd have had the staples again! I think glue is used nowadays as it saves a visit from a nurse to remove the staples.
                        I have a bit of a "thing" about those who get replacements and then do nothing to help themselves and moan that they aren't as mobile post op as when they were in their 30s. Absolutely agree about not being able to sleep on your side. I found this quite difficult for a few days but it's amazing how quickly you should be able to adapt. I hope you find the same.
                        Hope you have someone with you when going for walks. It is a great help to have assistance as it gives you confidence that should you loose your balance there is someone there should you need it.

• Like Like x 3
                        • Friendly Friendly x 2
                        • Beckie76

Beckie76 Total Gardener

Ratings:
                          +8,435
                          I've only just seen your post @roders. I hope you are off your crutches & are making a good recovery

• Friendly Friendly x 2
                          • Agree Agree x 1
                          • Mike Allen

Mike Allen Total Gardener

Retired. Plant Pathologist.
                            Ratings:
                            +6,097
                            Forgive me please. I note the date of this thread/message. As you can see, I'm a newbie on this forum.

Some years back, my late wife was PA to The Medical Advisor in Medical Electrology. It was a department of the MOD & Civil Service.

My wife (Valerie) Her boss, Lt. Col John ****

John had a hip replacement in the local military hospital in Woolwich. SE18. Word soon reached him that the hospital's X-Ray unit had failed.

John to the rescue. Remember he's just come back from surgery.
                            Up and at em! boss. John was soon in the X-Ray dept. Dispite expressed concerns by the medical staff, John blasted forth probably pulling rank. Thankfully all went well and the unit was soon up and running.

OK friends, perhaps a bit of adventure, but this suppoerts our friend's post. Get back to normal A.S.A.P.

Think about it. Childbirth was once considered an illness.

• Informative Informative x 1
                            • Doghouse Riley

Doghouse Riley Head Gardener

"Pleasantly unemployed."
                              Ratings:
                              +4,411
                              Not wishing to hi-jack this thread, but this might be of interest to those who may eventually need one.

I had a hip replacement in 2009 at the age of 69.

Most of us who have, will admit to the fact that we'd left it far too long, putting up with increasing pain. I thought it was just a groin strain but my GP thought otherwise.
                              In our family they call my wife "The Oracle," She reads a lot and "diagnosed," our daughter's huge ovarian cyst when she was only seventeen. This startled our GP but sending her to a consultant, he confirmed the diagnosis. Fortunately this was successfully removed and she went on to have four children.

Anyway, she'd been reading up on hip replacements and found that there's a "plastic" one you can have on the NHS.

I mentioned it to my consultant, who said he knew nothing about them. I got on quite well with him,(another golfer). He did several hip operations a week and my GP had recommended him.
                              Six weeks later when I went in for my op. He said, "As you are otherwise quite fit, I'm going to give you one of the new hips." (I said nothing!)
                              These hips are unlike the metal ones as the bone regrows over where they attach. The pelvis being the hardest bone in your skeleton. You don't need a card to go through an airport scanner.
                              After surgery, he worried me a bit by saying that he had to chisel off several calcified spurs around the old joint before working out where to put the new one. But he did a great job. You wouldn't know I'd had the operation. With some of my golfing pals you can tell they've had one.
                              It's important to keep your leg elevated during your convalescence and do the exercises with the crepe bandage doughnut and tray.
                              The walking bit is really down to you, they err on the side of caution as to how far you walk as you recover. I cut the time down considerably. More than doubling the distances advised. The incentive was being able to walk down to the village for a pint, before walking back again.

I was back driving after six weeks and playing golf again within eight weeks. You mustn't drive until you get signed off, it could invalidate your insurance.
                              I was fortunate that I only needed the one hip replaced. The other one is still fine. That was because I'd played an awful lot of squash in my life and being left-handed, spent a lot of time turning on that hip.

I'm still playing eighteen holes of golf, three times a week (weather permitting) as usual. Climbing ladders, gardening etc, everything I could do before the operation.

• Like Like x 1
                              • Informative Informative x 1
                                Last edited: Feb 15, 2018
                              • Gail_68

Gail_68 Guest

Ratings:
                                +0
                                @roders I've only just saw your post...wishing you all the best on a speedy and good recovery :)

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
                                • Friendly Friendly x 1