1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

JWK's Garden Destruction

Discussion in 'Garden Projects and DIY' started by JWK, Jul 15, 2008.

1. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,667
    Where are the solar panels going then John, Eh?!!

2. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +46,191
    :thumb: Thanks for all the kind words everybody. :thumb:

Kristen: I might put solar panels just beneath the window on the right, mounted on the flat roof. There used to be a small sloping roof there, when I took it down there are horrible cheap different coloured bricks behind, and it will be quite a job to replace them (and would only be for cosmetic reasons). We keep changing our minds over what to do, render it, put some tiles on it, try painting it, but more than likely I might put a couple of solar panels on there - and that would hide the horrible brickwork.

Anyway, where have you been hiding the last few weeks? :)

3. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,667
    " horrible cheap different coloured bricks behind"

Ah, I see them now, what a nuisance. We had some bricks that looked awful replaced at a previous house, the builder referred to them as Queens, I think - basically bricks that were half-brick-width, and they dug out a bit, and put the half-bricks in their place. All looked normal when they were done. Dunno about "strength" though, as ours was a wall retaining a terrace, rather than holding a house up!

You could mount the panels off the wall, rather than on the roof (in case that helps / you didn't know of that), but I imagine off the roof would be easiest. Free hot water, in these troubled times ... got to be the thing to do, I reckon.

I've been (and still am) playing with getting AJAX into my Web "engine". But I've planted my Broad Beans, must do my Sweet Peas, and am hoping, against hope, that we will have a few days of dry to put some grass seed in, and I need to finalise an order for some hedging plants - I'm going to rip out the ghastly Leylandii hedge at the front, and put a copper beech in, with some Yew topiary at the front. Its about 25M long, and will look forlorn for a year or two, so going to give it a kick-start with some 6' plants - if I can find enough in the bottom of the piggy bank :(

4. JWK

Ratings:
    +46,191
    The horrible bricks are 'commons' and might not even be frost proof, so we may be forced to do something. Our brickie would replace them, but he could only do a few at a time as the wall is structural. The idea of using slips ( a bit like your half bricks) might work.

I haven't thought of how to mount the panels, I think they need to be raised off the flat roof anyway. The optimum place for them would be on the main roof, but as I want to DIY them and I'm non too confident working at height off ladders I will start with a couple at this lower level. I'm lurking on the navitron forum getting ideas (trouble is there are too many)

I've no experience of Yew but with Beech I've found the smaller ones catch up with the taller within a couple of years anyway. I planted 2-3 ft beech and my neighbour planted 4-5 ft ones at the same time a couple of years ago, right now there is practically no difference between them, in fact mine look a bit bushier - less gaps in-between. Might save a couple of bob!

5. shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
    Ratings:
    +118,513
    The job is going along brilliantly :thumb: :)

Come on folks! John needs ideas on what to do with the wrong coloured brick wall. Some stupid ideas to start with :D - paint a mural on it or put a big flat screen TV on it so he can watch it whilst sitting in the garden :lollol:

6. JWK

Ratings:
    +46,191
    Thanks shiney, someone at work has already suggested I take a digital photo of the 'normal' brickwork, then have it turned into a big laminated poster and fix that over the horrible wall. It might work!

Big flat screen TV, good idea whilst I'm out gardening! Or maybe a big dot-matrix display so Mrs JWK can tell me when its tea time. :)

7. Little Miss Road Rage

Little Miss Road Rage Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    A murals not a bad idea a lady that lives in Swanage does some fanastic murals here's one:

http://www.ninacamplin.co.uk/murals/dogwndw.htm

She does murals of missing dogs in different places and quite a few have been found because of her

8. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,667
    "I think they need to be raised off the flat roof anyway"

Well, if you can angle them for more Spring/Autumn gain, and point them South, that would help.

"The optimum place for them would be on the main roof, but as I want to DIY them and I'm non too confident working at height off ladders I will start with a couple at this lower level"

Shorter pipe runs to the hot water tank would help - dunno if that suggests Main Roof or Extension?

"I'm lurking on the navitron forum getting ideas (trouble is there are too many)"

Yeah ... minefield. That's the trouble with emerging technology. I think the Navitron gear is the right way to go - especially for DIY.

You need a Thermal Store (big tank), but trouble is that is quite a bit of money and you need quite a big space - and then there is more plumbing etc etc.

An alternative, "easy start", is to replace, or add to, the immersion coil in your existing hot water tank with a solar coil - looks like, and same size as, an immersion coil, but is actually finned all over so the heat transfer is good. So you can just plumb it into your hot water tank.

But either way, you need to be able to "dump" the heat if it gets too hot - the water in the panels turning to steam will stress them etc., even if that is allowed for in their design. And whatever you do for that needs to work when you are away, and there is a powercut - so a large storage tank / thermal store will help - allows storing heat from good days to cover for cloudy days, and gives you some spare capacity when you are away - but you could still do with a radiator that comes on when the thermal store temperature gets too high.

Opportunity for some monitoring gear too - a bit of programming, pretty graphs, home automation .... no telling where it might end!

9. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,667
    A decent mural of some solar panels would impress your mates - without all that plumbing hassle!

10. JWK

Ratings:
    +46,191
    Thanks for the ideas about murals LMRR and kristen, I'll give that some thought :)

kristen: There are so many pros and cons, I will definately need a new tank (so will get a Thermal Store) and thats going in the new extension, shorter (& easier) pipe runs from the flat roof sort of confirm that would be the best place for them. Anyway if I find a couple of panels on the flat roof are OK for our hot water, I can always add more on the main roof in the future, with the price of energy escalating it might be worth trying to heat the house as well.

The heat dump problem is something that does not have a satisfactory common solution on all the debate on the navitron site, having an extra rad dedicated for this purpose seems a waste, but I will need to do something. A neighbour a couple of doors away has solar heating panels on his roof, not a DIY job but one of these mega expensive hard sell type companies, and their system disconnects the tubes when it gets too hot by some sort of thermal expansion, they make a really loud clicking noise when they disconnect, the whole street can hear them clicking and inside his house it sounds like someones hiiting his roof with a hammer.

I will definately be monitoring it all somehow, chance to practise my process control software skills :cough: and I need to know how many pennies I'm saving! :)

11. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,667
    "having an extra rad dedicated for this purpose seems a waste"

Its extra cost ... but at the point it is needed your Thermal Store is will be full, and you will still be getting "free" solar heat, just nowhere to store it, so it is costing nothing to "dump" (well, pennies for the pump's electricity, but ...). If you were very ambitious you could be planning to store the excess from the Summer until the Winter ... but by my reckoning that's a project-too-far :(

"chance to practise my process control software skills"

You and me both, I'm strictly a business-systems programmer, and anything to control stuff is new to me .... I'm rather taken with the 1-wire concept for networking the sensors; elegantly simple, only downside is for anything remote which needs to talk by "wireless" means - which gets expensive.

But no doubt you've already run in numerous lengths of CAT-5 into your extension, eh? ;)

I want logging like this guy's:
    http://www.navitron.org.uk/forum/index.php/topic,4633.0.html
    (you'll need to follow the links from that thread)

12. JWK

Ratings:
    +46,191
    Agree - it would need a massive store, olympic swimming pool sized so no chance of that.

Interesting link thanks, but that info is maybe to much for me, I would just like something a bit simpler :)

13. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,667
    "I would just like something a bit simpler"

Where's the fun in that?:old: You need huge volumes of sensor data so you can "fiddle". Its an alternative to retiring to the garden shed for some peace and quiet ...

14. Pro Gard

Pro Gard Gardener

Ratings:
    +6
    Re the bad brickwork, the best solution would be to render this wall section. Looks wise, IMO it would fit in fine as you are looking end on and it would not look odd.

Replacing brick by brick will be costly and time consusming.

You can get a tct grinding prong that goes onto a 115mm angle grinder (conected to dust extraction).... I use a stubby version to grind out paving joints and it excells..... they do a long one for brick removal, never used it though only the short one.

15. Tropical_Gaz

Tropical_Gaz Gardener

Ratings:
    +245
    Hows the project coming along?