JWK's Tropical border

Discussion in 'Tropical Gardening' started by JWK, Aug 8, 2011.

1. lollipop

lollipop Gardener

Ratings:
    +24
    I turn my back for five blinking minutes and you've gone mental lol.

There's me going a little doolally thinking I might flood my garden with nasturtiums this year and you have trumped me:0

Looks fabulous.

• Like Like x 2
    • JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
      +48,690
      Thanks Vicky and Claire. They will recover, it didn't get below -10 :o

• Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
      +0
      Did you find that Guildford Weather Station I stuck up for you John? Can't remember what thread it was on now.

• JWK

Ratings:
      +48,690
      Sorry Ziggy I don't recall that. I've been using accuweather recently, and pretty good it is too.

• Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
      +0
      • Like Like x 1
      • Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
        +12,668
        I think your Exotic border looked amazing for Year One. That's a big attraction of Tropicals ... no 10 year wait (are you SURE you want to take up Cloudy Pruned Topiary this year ? !!)

They look well Winter-wrapped too.

"Guildford Weather Station "

Probably old hat, but on WunderGround's WunderMap if you hover over the Date/Time in the toolbar you get a dropdown enabling you to step through by hour / day / month / year - so you could see what weather stations around you were reporting on your cold-night.

WunderMap for Guildford

• Like Like x 2
        • ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
          +100,838
          This is a great thread, JWK, just looking at the pictures gives me that feeling of anticipation of the coming colour and textures of foilage.:hapfeet::yess::D

• Like Like x 1
          • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
            Ratings:
            +91,679
            John, is there any such thing as good looking plant protection??

Designer plant protection maybe?:D

If there is, I'm sure it would not work.

• Like Like x 1
            • longk

longk Total Gardener

Ratings:
              +23,091
              That is amazing!
              Judging by the seventh photo it looks as if you have quite a slope?
              Even though it all looked bad in your recent photos, at least the ground has not been consistently, and deeply, frozen this year (at least around here anyway) which is what did for a lot of things last winter..............

• Like Like x 1
              • JWK

Ratings:
                +48,690
                :thumbsup: Thanks Ziggy, that looks a nicer layout than accuweather. I'll make it a favourite.

I'm pleased with the effect too, some of the plants were expensive so this year I'm trying more from seed like Canna Musafolia grande & Ricinus (Castor Oil plant) plus tubers like Colocasia Burgundy. The rockwool wrapping is cheap, easy and quick - just ugly!

Thanks for that Kristen. I do use wunderground but no stations are near me (at least not at my altitude). We are pretty close to Wisley which has lots of historical met data on-line, but we are always colder and I reckon about 3 weeks behind them season-wise. It's the altitude that makes the difference, we are on the top of the North Downs, in the valleys where Wisley is it's much milder.

I am greatly encouraged by that Armandii. One thing about this tropical planting is that a mixture brashy colours and spikey and paddle leaves just seem to go well together, none of this colour wheel nonsense :D

Maybe not pete. I'm reading this Japanese pruning book I've borrowed from Wisley and it's shows what they do out there, can't post a picture on here as it's copyright. If I put bamboo wigwams over my rockwool wrappings it would look a lot neater :thumbsup:

Yes we are on fairly steep hillside, down the bottom near the house is sheltered though. It's only the last week where the ground became frozen here, so hopefully mine will all recover. If they can't survive this relatively good winter then I'll replace them with something a bit hardier.

• Like Like x 1
                • theruralgardener

theruralgardener Gardener

Ratings:
                  +149
                  ...I'm just pleased to see Zaphod Beeblebrox and his tall mate are amongst other big guys now...look like one of the gang there!

• Like Like x 1
                  • JWK

Ratings:
                    +48,690
                    Julie :loll:Not everyone recognises the cabbages amongst the exotics :)

I love the tall cabbages, Zaphod looked a bit sad through the cold spell. He thawed out today and has really perked up.

• Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
                    +12,668
                    You need one! Even if its only a cheapie. From memory mine cost about £50, its as cheap as you can get. The indoor handset is useless (have to touch it to get backlight, and even then the contrast is barely enough to read), but it has rain fall, wind direction, speed & gust, pressure, humidity, temperature outside and temperature & humidity inside. Everything you want (except solar radiation and cloud cover perhaps), but I found some useful freeware software which does a very good job of logging and presentation, and you can upload to Wudnerground if you want to join the thronging masses!. In fact ... it would be a great Valentines present from Mrs JWK :)

• Like Like x 1
                    • JWK

Ratings:
                      +48,690
                      I've got a couple of Oregon Scientific wireless max/min thermometers which I use all the time, moving the sensors around, into the greenhouse or outdoors or inside the propagators. I like the idea of being able to log the temperatures like with your el cheapo £50 special Kristen. Maybe too late for Valentines day now, but Father's day is coming :)

What make/model have you got Kristen? I'm not worried about the useless handset, like you I'm more interested in it's PC connectivity.

• ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
                      +100,838
                      I agree with you JWK about the brash colours, spiky and exotic leaves. I love the big, bold and brash non exotic herbaceous plants and they get a prime place in my borders. As for the "colour wheel":lolpoint::lolpoint: to the colour wheel. All colours get mixed in my borders without any real thought or design and it seems to work......well for me it does anyway:heehee::D

• Like Like x 1