Kandy's Allotment Plots {30pole}

Discussion in 'Allotments Discussion' started by Kandy, Jun 27, 2008.

1. daitheplant

daitheplant Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,881
    Kandy, looking very, very good. Just one thing, don`t let your potatoes flower. It means the plant has stopped feeding the tubers and is only concerned with producing seed. Take the flowers off.:thumb:

2. Helofadigger

Helofadigger Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Kandy many thanks for posting pictures of your plot I'm sure I'll get plenty of advice and tips from you (and of course others who join in too) as one can never have enough help from others who have 'done that, been there, brought the t-shirt, fallen down and pick themselves up again' if you know what I mean? :D

It's all a learning curve and it's nice to be helped along more so when you are just starting off!:o Hel.xxx.

3. PLOTTY

PLOTTY Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Kandy, its great to see your plots after hearing you talk about them, you have done really well with your heavy soil to get it into the condition you showed in your photographs, your fruit trees look wonderful and if mine get to that standard I will be very happy. Thanks for pointing out to me about this new allotment section on Gardener's Corner as I to will now post my updates to this section from now on, have a good week regards Steve.

http://www.myallotments.com

4. Kandy

Kandy Will be glad to see the sun again soon.....

Head gardener
    Ratings:
    +6,543
    David,I never knew that bit about the flowers.We have always let ours flower and then usually the flowers drop off.I think most people on the plots do that as well.I dare not disturbe them now in case it starts the blight off,but thanks for the info:thumb:

Steve thanks for your kind words.I am sure that with lots of water and care you will have fruit trees as large as ours though yours have a few years catching up.As you will agree there is nothing more rewarding than tasting fresh fruit and veg compared to the wilted stuff the shops sell.Keep up the good work:thumb:

Love your banner avatar as well Steve:thumb:

5. Kandy

Head gardener
    Ratings:
    +6,543
    These are our shallots and onions that we put in earlier in the year
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    And these are my Brussel plants that I also planted earlier under the cloche netting to protect them from the pigeons and the cabbage white butterflies
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. wiseowl

wiseowl Amiable Admin Staff Member

Philosophy of people
    Ratings:
    +91,667
    Absolutely a fantastic project and so much Real Hard work as gone into your Allotment to get it looking as good as it is today,You and Mr Kandy have achieved so much,Well done:thumb::)

7. Kandy

Head gardener
    Ratings:
    +6,543
    And this is the size of my Brussel plants two weeks ago fed on Chicken pellets and watered well
    [​IMG]

8. Kandy

Head gardener
    Ratings:
    +6,543
    Thanks Woo,certainly a labour of love and hard work,sweat and tears at times. :thumb:

9. Kedi-Gato

Kedi-Gato Gardener

Ratings:
    +35
    Kandy, I never realized that your allotment was so big! All those lovely veggies and fruit, you'll be well off come harvest time.

I guess with so much you freeze or put up a lot as preserves, enough to last you well into the next year.

Thanks for letting us see your hard work and progress, well done, both you and Mr K. :thumb:

10. Helofadigger

Helofadigger Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Lol Kandy pigeons and cabbage flies... we have already heard nightmares about those baddies!

Some of the guys down on our plots seem to use 5 inch long plastic guttering tubes to combat the critters while others prefer your method, have you ever used the guttering method before?

Sorry for sounding totally like a Newb but do shallots always grow in clumps like that?

As you can see I'ave still got a very long way to go!:o Hel.xxx.

11. Kandy

Head gardener
    Ratings:
    +6,543
    Hi Helen I am intrigued as to how the allotment holders get rid of the pigeons and Cabbage White Butterflies,do they use the drainpipes to whack the pests with?Please find out and let me know:thumb:

Yes Helen that is what Shallots do.They seperate as they grow and uou ge a big clump of them:)

Sorry must go the washing machine man has just arrived

12. daitheplant

daitheplant Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,881
    A tip for growing shallots. If you want LARGE shallots, use SMALL sets. If you want SMALL shallots, use LARGE sets. Sounds strange, but it`s true.:thumb:

13. Pro Gard

Pro Gard Gardener

Ratings:
    +6
  14. Helofadigger

Helofadigger Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Kandy the guys on the alloment say they believe the tube collars work so well for them as the pigeons don't like to put their heads into dark holes and after the plant grows a bit there're not interested in it anymore...strange but it does seem to work!

Lol David the same thing happened to Bob's mum when she brought a Yorkshire Terrier she wanted a small one so picked the smallest out of the litter only problem was she ended up with a very big Yorkie at the end of the day! :D

Thanks for that tip David it's good to be aware of the growing habits of things before you start.Hel.xxx.

15. Kandy

Head gardener
    Ratings:
    +6,543
    Started digging our Foremost spuds
    [​IMG]
    and also have picked lots of Raspberries ...Autumn Bliss
    [​IMG]
    And a nice yellow variety called....All Gold
    [​IMG]
    We have had to pick all our Gooseberries because despite netting them the birds were still managing to eat them.These are the last few that I picked and they have been either eaten by Mr Kandy or frozen for later use..
    [​IMG]
    Our Gourgettes,and Butternut Squashes are finally starting to move...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]