Kandy's Allotment Plots {30pole}

Discussion in 'Allotments Discussion' started by Kandy, Jun 27, 2008.

1. Kandy

Kandy Will be glad to see the sun again soon.....

Head gardener
    Ratings:
    +6,543
    Our lettuces have now finished and they were really tasty...
    [​IMG]
    Our Peas are also doing well though we have had to net them against the birds and rabbit nibblings...
    [​IMG]
    Even our Celariac is getting the net cloche treatment against the pests but are growing very well...
    [​IMG]
    I am really pleased with the Bolthardy beetroot and they are getting a good size thanks to my watering efforts..
    [​IMG]
    I must start picking the Bunyard Exhibition Broad Beans this weekend
    [​IMG]
    Our Cox's Orange Pippin Apples continue to grow...
    [​IMG]
    As do the Victoria plums...
    [​IMG]

2. JarBax

JarBax Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    That is so impressive Kandy!!! You must produce enough fruit and veg to keep your whole neighbourhood going! Inspirational!

3. Kandy

Head gardener
    Ratings:
    +6,543
    Our Sweetcorn and replacement French Beans whcih were planted out by Mr Kandy after I had grown them in pots and trays have been undermined by a black furry pest {Mole}...[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Our recently planted greens have also been nobbled by flying pests despite being netted.They land on the netting and their weight pulls down the netting despite being pegged down and then they can peck at the tops of the greens {Cabbages}Mr Kandy needs to rectify this problem as soon as possible...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    And these are the plants two weeks later,complete with netting...
    [​IMG]
    We also have problems with the untended plot next to ours that never gets worked so all the weed seeds blow onto our plot and causes us grief especially the creeping thistles.So some pests are of the two legged variety...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. Kandy

Head gardener
    Ratings:
    +6,543
    Hi Jarbax,we freeze a good deal of the veggies and the fruit so that keeps us going throughout the winter.Our friends and family also do ok for all our hard work and now we have the Guneia Pigs they enjoy the fruits of our labours so to speak. Every little helps especially now that food prices are going up each week:thumb:

5. Freddy

Freddy Miserable git, well known for it

Retired - yay!
    Ratings:
    +12,517
    Hi Kandy, looking good :) I love this time of year, makes all the effort worthwhile. I`ve been harvesting quite a bit myself lately. One pity though, all my spuds are now over (and very nice they were too!), so next year I`m going to plant with a month`s interval in between (mid april and mid may). Keep up the good work gal :thumb: Cheers...freddy.

6. shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
    Ratings:
    +122,466
    Hi Kandy,
    You're doing really fantastic :thumb: :)

Looking at your netting over your corn, I remember that years ago we bought some small hard rubber balls that had holes in them (that fitted over the canes) so that they could be used to make an easy framework for the supporting canes. You stick a ball on top of a cane and then slot a horizontal cane into a side hole. The balls had six holes. One on top, one on the bottom and four around the sides. They worked really well. I'll see whether I have one somewhere in the shed and take a photo of it - but can't remember where we bought them.

7. Kandy

Head gardener
    Ratings:
    +6,543
    Hi Freddy,yes I do so like this time of the year when we start to harvest the fruit{and veg}of our labours.It makes the effort and hardwork worthwhile:thumb:Don't forget to take some piccy's if you can of your harvests:)

Shiney,I do know the balck balls you are talking about Two Wests sell them along with loads of other stuff.Mr Kandy bought some table tennis balls years ago as protctors but after a number of years they started to perish and become brittle:rolleyes:

8. kerryshome

kerryshome Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    wow Kandy, this is all very inspirational - can;t wait to get going on my little plot

K xx

9. elainefiz

elainefiz Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Just found your thread Kandy and thoroughly enjoyed it.You`ve put your heart and soul in it and i am very impressed.:thumb:

10. Helofadigger

Helofadigger Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Kandy I'm amazed your plot still looks fine most of the plot holder's patches down on our site already have huge open spaces where once there were mountains of goodies to be had but most are already getting their spare patches ready for the Japanese onions...it's all work! Hel.xxx.

11. Kandy

Head gardener
    Ratings:
    +6,543
    Just found this allotment blog of mine and I can't believe how long ago it has been since I grew all these fruit and veg.Must try to update it again:biggrin:

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Steve R

Steve R Soil Furtler

Carer
      Ratings:
      +3,702
      I look forward to the updates Kandy, I'm thinking I might have to start my own plot topic here too.

Steve...:)

• Like Like x 2
      • Kandy

Head gardener
        Ratings:
        +6,543
        image.jpg Hi Steve,I will probably have to resort to using my new laptop as I can't seem to get the words I write along with the photos to go to the top despite following advise from members on here:scratch:

These are the second lot of strawberries I picked on Saturday and they are nice and sweet.The plants are ones I bought from our local garden centre a few years ago when hey were selling them off cheap,like 30p each and the beauty of them is some are Autumn fruiting so we get two seasons worth:biggrin:

Yes it would be nice to see how you are getting on with your plots and would also help other members on here who are thinking of taking on a plot:smile:

• wiseowl

wiseowl Amiable Admin Staff Member

Philosophy of people
        Ratings:
        +91,667
        Good morning Kandy my friend great Blog and lovely strawberries thanks for sharing your Blog with us:smile:

Kandy I took the liberty copying your photo,hope you on't mind,just trying to show how to get the words at the top(above your photo):smile:
        -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi Steve,I will probably have to resort to using my new laptop as I can't seem to get the words I write along with the photos to go to the top despite following advise from members on here:scratch:

Text First

These are the second lot of strawberries I picked on Saturday and they are nice and sweet.The plants are ones I bought from our local garden centre a few years ago when hey were selling them off cheap,like 30p each and the beauty of them is some are Autumn fruiting so we get two seasons worth:biggrin:

Yes it would be nice to see how you are getting on with your plots and would also help other members on here who are thinking of taking on a plot:smile:

Photo Second

[​IMG]

• Kandy

Head gardener
        Ratings:
        +6,543
        Hi Woo and many thanks for your lovely comments regarding my allotment blog:smile:

I do write the text first and then add the photo afterwards using the bits that say upload file which I do from my tablet and then I press the bit that says full size(not thumbnail) and then I press post reply and when it comes up the photo is first and the written words come out at the bottom so I am not sure whether I should be in Australia or not:biggrin:

• Funny Funny x 1