keeping bananas

Discussion in 'Tropical Gardening' started by Daisies, Jan 9, 2006.

1. hans

hans Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +748
    I'm going to try that Marley Farley sounds yummy. dieting waste of time eat everything in moderation.

2. lisa0307

lisa0307 Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Don't think you've killed them Honey Bee, they go like that in our climate, some people leave them outside and build a sort of cloche over them with straw to protect the crowns, they normally just spring back to life. Definitely gonna try that scrummy recipe. Thanks.

3. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +91,679
    Honey bee, do you now the name of the particular type of banana you have, it should be Musa ......(something).
    Basjoo is pretty frost resistant, but not root hardy, so if the pots froze then they could be dead. Otherwise they might be OK.
    Think I would leave them in the greenhouse, preferrably frost free and on the dry side.
    Keep your fingers crossed. [​IMG]

4. lisa0307

lisa0307 Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    If they are dead you can always console yourself with a few Banana muffins :D I know which I would prefer. By the way Bob Flowerdew grows them in his double poly tunnel and he gets mini bananas :D What a show off eh.

[ 13. January 2006, 07:46 PM: Message edited by: lisa0307 ]

5. Honey Bee

Honey Bee Gardener

Queen Bee
    Sunny South coast (well, it used to be......)
    Ratings:
    +54
    Yes, one is definitely musa something. I have a (Japanese?)red one and a green one, and on the label, they can produce edible fruit (just right for the muffins!!!! :D ).... hope I haven't killed them, although that is what I do best in my garden!!!

Will keep them in the greenhouse and make sure they don't dry out completely. Fingers crossed they recover........

6. Daisies

Daisies Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,686
    Well, to return to the original topic of this thread............
    I finally discovered that if I put them in my 'tool room' (a small-almost-outdoor room attached to the house) which is both cold and dark, they last a lot longer. I've had one in there about eight days now and it's still very fresh and edible!

7. Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
    Ratings:
    +14,126
    [​IMG] :D :D Good to hear MD :D :D You know that a ripe banana put in a paper bag with an unripe Advocado, will ripen it in 24hrs in a warmish room... That applies to fruit as well ;)

8. lisa0307

lisa0307 Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I'm gonna sleep better knowing that. :D

9. Daisies

Daisies Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,686
    Just as an update on this old thread - I've been keeping bananas in my tool room, as I said, where the temp has been around 10 degrees C these last few weeks. Recently their lasting power has stretched to almost three weeks! Had a great benefit to my weekly shopping bill!

10. Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
    Ratings:
    +14,126
  11. Daisies

Daisies Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,686
    Good grief - a banana eating dog! Does he/she eat the skins as well! :confused:

12. Honey Bee

Honey Bee Gardener

Queen Bee
    Sunny South coast (well, it used to be......)
    Ratings:
    +54
    My dog likes bananas mashed up with cream cheese, stuffed into a "kong" which is a sort of hollow rubber chew. I give her that to lick and slurp when I'm out - in the hope it will keep her off other stuff (toys, shoes, carpet.....)She goes crazy for it!!!! But not the skins!!

..... had to make another batch of Banana muffins yesterday..... a particularly nice batch, I may say!! ;) goes very well with a cuppa!!

13. UsedtobeDendy

UsedtobeDendy Gardener

Retired teacher and gardener
    Ratings:
    +172
    yes, she eats them all! She loves all fruit, and carrots too! Between her and the birds, we rarely got any loganberries! And I've seen her on her back legs, front legs in the air, stretching her head up for grapes! :D