keeping busy in the winter months

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by intermiplants, Nov 4, 2007.

1. Garden Apprentice

Garden Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I find that winter is a good time to sort out any hard landscaping problems in the garden, starting work on new projects ready for planting in spring, or generaly catch up on general maintainance tasks I havent had time for earlier. Shreding prunings and composting are good winter jobs for example.

Besides this, there are more routine tasks; looking after the greenhouse and the plants in it, and later on in winter getting sorted out and ready for spring - sorting through and cleaning pots, planning seed sowing etc.

Basicaly Spring and Autumn are such busy times what with seed sowing, planting, pruning etc, any thing that can be done to prepare for spring or postponed from autumn could be done in winter. Obviously you have to watch the weather, but on a nice winters day there is nothing better than geting outside and doing a few jobs in the garden

2. shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
    Ratings:
    +122,805
    intermiplants said:

why are you all so busy . i must have took the easy option growing dahlias dig em up dry em out and presto ..job done
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I suppose it depends on how big the garden is and how complicated it is. We also seem to get pigeons like the one in your avatar :D and there is a lot of clearing up to do [​IMG] [​IMG]