1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

King Protea- growing for dummies..

Discussion in 'Tropical Gardening' started by CanadianLori, Jun 3, 2018.

1. CanadianLori

CanadianLori Total Gardener

Battle Axe
    Ratings:
    +30,616
    Thank you @pete . I ran out and scooped some ashes out of my wood oven and I shall obey my plrotea pant poobah :)

• Like Like x 1
    • JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
      +46,155
      Following pete's advice I potted on in orchid compost which appears to be mostly bark. then added about a quarter each of perlite and vermiculite so it's very open. Also I'm only using rain water, which more or less runs straight through the compost. I haven't used any feed whatsoever. They seem to like this change. The yellowish one has improved with healthy looking new growth:
      IMG_20180704_094505397_BURST000_COVER.jpg

• Like Like x 2
        Last edited: Jul 4, 2018
      • CarolineL

CarolineL Total Gardener

Retired Software engineer
        Ratings:
        +4,343
        @CanadianLori I have started using hickory liquid smoke instead of the expensive Kirstenbosch smoke papers. According to an article in Australasian Plant Soc journal 'Pentachondra' studies have shown it is a good substitute. I dilute the liquid to weak tea colour and soak seeds in it overnight. Seems to help.

• Informative Informative x 3