Know Your Weeds

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by HarryS, Apr 30, 2011.

1. Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Sorted Scrunge, cheers:dbgrtmb:

2. Scrungee

Scrungee Well known for it

Ratings:
    +28,996
    They seem to have changed the specific links to types of weeds on that website and only the 'low rosettes' one above seems to be working.

I'll check out what the others should be.

3. Scrungee

Scrungee Well known for it

Ratings:
    +28,996
  4. Joyce Esau

Joyce Esau Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +28
    My Dad used to weed with vinegar mixed in water, I've never tried it because I don't know how much of each to use, does anyone know this recipe. Vinegar is so cheap. I very often use bleach for between patio flags cleans the flags too.

5. burnie

burnie Super Gardener

Retired engineer
    Ratings:
    +3,782
    I sow wild flower seeds, so I don't have any weeds, just some grow in the wrong places, so they get pulled up. I never spray as this could harm the good stuff, though I've never tried using vinegar as a weed killer.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Jack Sparrow

Jack Sparrow Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +5,414
      I’m not sure where to ask this question but this seems as good a place as any. I’ve had a wild idea that’s problably too far out there, as are most of my ideas. I have cut back the verge away from the hedge and left the rest to grass. I was wondering whether it would be safe to stipple the grass with something like buttercups or similar. Is there anything that I could this with that wouldn’t be invasive and wouldn’t upset any of my neighbours? It would have to survive mowing. Just an idea.

:snorky:

G.

• stony

stony Gardener

having a good time
      Ratings:
      +29
      The problem with Buttercups is that they are very pretty for a short time and then they start spreading like mad. They can very quickly take over an area.

A year ago, I prepared a derelict piece of my garden and then laid 50 sq' M of wild flower meadow. It grew and I have had a fantastic show of "weeds" with lovely flowers and the insects were very happy also. After strimming in late October, they soon started growing again and now there is a good carpet. I cannot wait to see how many of the original plants have reseeded to give another display, this year.

• Like Like x 3
      • Bfm

Bfm Gardener

Ratings:
        +20
        This is great thanks very much. Often wondered what the weeds in my garden were

• Flumpy

Flumpy In with the bricks!

Ratings:
        +6,680
        77E1E0A6-9BD8-440F-8F58-999D69CBB5A6.jpeg
        my friend seems to be having a problem with buttercup weeds in her lawn, how can she get rid of it ? Without damaging the lawn :spinning: