Knowing This can save a life..!!!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by Marley Farley, Feb 3, 2008.

1. Helofadigger

Helofadigger Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    I agree a brilliant idea to have a health thread.

I would just like to add that before I had problems with my gallstones I didn't realise how close to a heart attack the pain symptoms can be or even confused with...thankfully all cases of chest pain are taken very seriously by the A&E staff and of course the ambulance crew who all do a wonderful job and also the wonderful dose of gas & air I had.Hel.xxx.

2. Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
    Ratings:
    +14,126
    :( Went down the gall stones road 30 yrs go Helen & yes the pain is a little confusing..

I think a dedicated thread would be good too. It would be good to share our knowledge, as what one doesn't know. Another person will... [​IMG]

3. intermiplants

intermiplants Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    bring it on then marley .. what are you calling it after all it was your idea :D :D

4. Paladin

Paladin Gardening...A work of Heart

Retired but still grubbing the soil.
    Ratings:
    +770
    Excellent idea Marley.. [​IMG] As you know I could have done with some help when I was in a bit of bother a while back.
    And Sarra would have been the one to ask for sure!
    In fact I just might drop you a PM John with a few questions,if that's alright with you of course.. ;)

5. Sarraceniac

Sarraceniac Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Pal. Please understand one thing. There is nothing personal in this at all.

Diagnosis by mail/email/telephone is strictly a no-no. I have made excuses for NHS direct but at the same time you should note that I am not a great admirer and am retired and although technically still licenced I will NOT give any specific advice without a proper examination. When I first (in confidence, which she kept) declared my ex-job to LoL I pointed out that I left a US forum because people kept asking for advice I could not give. (You pay for that in the States). People got quite stroppy. Thought I wanted money. I eventually thought that I would not be consulted in the UK because we have the NHS and declared my qualifications on GC.

So, the best advice you can expect from me is either - 'Splash it with calomine lotion' when I am sure. Or, more often. 'See your GP.' when I am not.

I am not rich and can't afford to be sued. Plus I want YOU to get the right diagnosis. So if you just want your mind at rest, ask away. BUT DO NOT PANIC IF I SAY 'SEE YOUR DOCTOR'. It just means I have not enough evidence. [​IMG]

6. Paladin

Paladin Gardening...A work of Heart

Retired but still grubbing the soil.
    Ratings:
    +770
    [​IMG] ..Just post procedure things that play on ones mind mate...not open Heart stuff.. :D

7. Sarraceniac

Sarraceniac Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    No problem. I've covered myself with the previous post (what a stupid horrible society it is when you can;t advise a friend without covering your bum first). I know that a lot of GPs wont give any advice on post proc. I think it's in case they get sued. AAAARGH. Might even ask you to sign a disclaimer myself. As you know I went for a colonoscopy myself. I had to sign three disclaimers. [​IMG]

8. Marley Farley

Ratings:
    +14,126
    ;) Have to wait for Nathan to start one off I'm afraid..... ;) :D

9. daitheplant

daitheplant Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,881
    Sorry, Marley, but I have to disagree here, this is a gardening forum not a surgery. It can lead to problems, not only for the participants but also Nathan and the moderators, if they allow this to go ahead I would think that thay are leaving themselves open to all sorts of legal problems.

10. walnut

walnut Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    We are talking "first aid" here not open heart surgery I think everyone should know the basics if the information is taken from an authorised body ie St Johns I cann't see a problem,people these days on comming across an incident would rather take pictures with mobile phones than offer practicle help.

11. Sarraceniac

Sarraceniac Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    I can't really see any problems as long as the first post on the thread is a disclaimer stating that advice given on the entire thread is given only in a general way and neither the webmaster nor any member of the forum can accept any responsibility if mistaken advice is given in good faith or if advice is misinterpreted by any person. It should also point out that in an emergency, treatment of any injury is best administered by a doctor, nurse or trained paramedic if possible. If not immediately available, the advice of a qualified person should always be sought as soon as possible.

12. Fonzie

Fonzie Gardener

Transportation
    Ratings:
    +15
    Thanks Marley farley. All info like this is invaluable, and I will certainly try and remember these wise words.

13. Daisies

Daisies Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,686
    First aid sticky not bad - PROVIDED everyone knows that - like the papers - you can't believe everything you read on the Internet! Even on GC. Wikis are a prime example - anyone can edit them. I have seen some supposedly medical advice ones with really gross errors.

In my paid 'job' on an orthopaedic joint replacement forum, I do offer advice BUT I also have the following statement in my signature

"LEGAL DISCLAIMER - Moderator comments on this web site are provided for informational purposes only and are not a substitute for advice from your personal physician or surgeon. Moderator is an orthopaedic nurse of some 40+ years experience."

14. Sarraceniac

Sarraceniac Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Daisees. Do you mean you qualified at age 5? (Like me). :D

15. Marley Farley

Ratings:
    +14,126
    [​IMG] OK Daisees & Sarra, I have pinched your disclaimer words John & put thrm in the heart post & the burns & scalds if you want to put a sticky on that one too Daisees.. [​IMG]