Knowing This can save a life..!!!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by Marley Farley, Feb 3, 2008.

1. UsedtobeDendy

UsedtobeDendy Gardener

Retired teacher and gardener
    Ratings:
    +172
    Hi, everyone! This thread is very close to my recent absence from GC, so thanks for posting, Marley :D

My Aunt had a major stroke a bit more than 2 years ago, overnight, living on her own. Her neighbours noticed that her bedroom curtain was still closed later than usual, and got nto the house, found her, and got her to hospital. She has been disabled on one side since then, but was largely otherwise back to herself, and enjoying her (allbeit rather more restricted) life, when she was out with us in November, visiting our largest local Garden Centre.

We were talking about something or other, when I realised she hadn't answered, and was looking rather too intently at a Christmas decorations display, so I moved her wheelchair round so I could see her properly, tried the various things on the list, and was getting no response whatsoever, so got the service desk to call 999. She'd had a TIA. The worrying thing is that, if she hadn't been out with us, chances are nobody would have noticed, as she basically just withdrew into herself for a while. As it was, she got treatment very quickly.

I'd like ot be able to tell you that there was a hapy endoing, but unfortunately not. Although she did recover from the stroke, and got over the following depression, confusion, etc quite well, she had a fall just 6 weeks ago, and broke her hip. Because of all this, I've been spending most of my time driving over to where she lives, with her in her nursing home and at the hospital, and very littleat home. Any time I have been at home, I've had no energy or inclination to be on-line other than to checik e-mails.

Last Sunday she took a turn for the worse, and died shortly before midnight. She was very peaceful, and everyone who knew her agreed that it was definitely a case of a merciful release. She'd simply had enough. She'd reached her 85th birthday on the Thursday, and hardly opened her eyes after that.

Sorry to go on a bit, but I thought all the folks who know me and probably wondered where I'd got to might like to know what's been up. I'll probably be around a bit more again once the funeral is all over next week. As some of you will probably know, Mr D is now in Dover, ready to start his big walk from there tomorrow to Cape Wrath, using long-distance paths. Several of you have sponsored him for this, for MSF - so thank you very much! For any more info on that, and to folow his blog, which I'll be updating for him, with a lot of help from a friend, see the links in my signature.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. Banana Man

Banana Man You're Growing On Me ...

SuperHero...
    Ratings:
    +407
    Hi dendy, I was just reading though yesterday wondering what you were doing and how your aunt was. So sorry it seems to have been down hill since we last spoke.

Thinking of you and I hope the big walk goes well.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

3. Kandy

Kandy Will be glad to see the sun again soon.....

Head gardener
    Ratings:
    +6,543
    Hi Dendi,

I am sorry for what has happened to your Aunt,after getting through having the major stroke over two years ago.She has been evry lucky to have someone as lovely as you to have helped in all the ways that you did in making her life comfortable for the time she was stil able to have a quality of life.

At least now she is at peace and won't be suffering any more.

I do hope that everything goes ok for you with the forthcoming funeral.They are not the happiest of things at the best of times.

Please accept mine and Mr Kandy's sympathy's at this unhappy time for you and your family

You are in our thoughts and prayers

Take Care [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. Gogs

Gogs Gardener

Ratings:
    +342
    Hi there Dendy ,actually i were wondering where you'd gone the other day.
    This explains your absence,please accept my condolences.xx

5. Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
    Ratings:
    +14,126
    Hi Dendy, I too was wondering about you recently... Maybe some of us were picking up on your sadness...

I am so sorry to hear about your Aunt. My sincere condolences.
    It is wonderful she recovered the way she did from the stroke & was able to enjoy life to a point, but so sad to hear of her fall.
    I don't think any of us realise quite how much, shock & pain take out of you.. It seems quite a nice way to go in the end.
    She celebrated her special day with you all, but maybe she also new it was her time, as she was so exhausted by it all. Strange how this happens but it seems they know & just wind down.
    I hope the funeral goes smoothly & you can get some peace of mind from it...
    Thinking of you Dendy at this difficult time.. [​IMG]

[​IMG] Wishing Mr D the best of luck & I hope the weather isn't too cruel to him.. Shall be watching the blog Dendy.. [​IMG]

6. UsedtobeDendy

UsedtobeDendy Gardener

Retired teacher and gardener
    Ratings:
    +172
    Thank you very much for your kind thoughts, everyone. It's great to know there ar such lovely peple on here - great friends! :D :D :D

Re the discussion about whether info such as Marley put up on this thread is apropriat for a forum about gardening - well, my opinion is that it is every bit as relevant as art, photos, and talking about the weather...... and that everything goes that lots of people are interested in, assuming that the usual restrictions of decency, etc are observed, and that disclaimer goes along with it.

It can surely never hurt for people to be more aware of what to be alert for, and acting promptly, even over-cautiously, is more creditable than ignoring signs which may be the start of something serious which could be treated sooner, and possibly more effectively. It's worth maybe looking a bit silly for being over-cautious if the plus side could save a life.

I'm another of those lapsed first-aiders - I really MUST get myself re-trained.... [​IMG]

7. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +92,059
    Hi Dendy sorry to hear of your problems, wondered where you were.
    Hope you can now get things sorted out and back on an even keel. :( [​IMG]

8. borrowers

borrowers Gardener

Ratings:
    +48
    Hi dendrobium
    I'm sorry to hear of your loss. Your aunt was lucky to have you though, and as has been said sometimes it's just time to go.

I think this topic is very good. I was re-reading it just 2 days ago trying to get it to stick in my mind.

My sister in law has recently been diagnosed with a brain tumour & just been given the news that she has probably less than a year to live. She's only 54.

I lost both parents quite early although not through strokes but have known people who have had them.

Anything informative is a good thing, so posting stuff like this is good. Also people will talk more, so it's not just getting out to the members of GC but also their family & friends, even strangers in some cases.

I hope you manage the next few days ok, a difficult time but i hope you have some smiles at the good memories.

take care.

9. THE MASTER

THE MASTER Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    i think its very important
    and should be put up as a sticky

as the thread tittle implys . FIRST AID

belive it or not E&A dont have kwnolage of first aid. yup thats correct nurse's get the pationt after the first aid had been done

first aid is wot it say .
    your the first one to get to them

if you get a chance to take a first aid course please do so. even if you think youir squmish at the site of blood. at least you can be tought on how to call an ambulance, and i tell ya if you make the call properly the ambulace can turnn up faster and get in there with faster actions.
    :D

10. THE MASTER

THE MASTER Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
  11. THE MASTER

THE MASTER Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    i may not get it correct but i know wot im on about
    :D