1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Lack of rainfall and the garden.

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Mike Allen, Jun 13, 2018.

1. Verdun

Verdun Passionate gardener

Ratings:
    +17,487
    Have a few, cheapo, solar lights here but I agree with ARMANDIi. Light pollution is becoming a huge problem. Down here we have dark skies and low light pollution....for now! :noidea:

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • CanadianLori

CanadianLori Total Gardener

Battle Axe
      Ratings:
      +30,616
      I have lights in my greenhouses. They are the led strings that run from my solar charged batteries. They are all also on a timer so that they come on just before dark and blink out a few hours later. I just like peeking at my green friends a little after twilight and before I go to bed.

I think our off main road street lights should all have motion sensors. Which would make solar powered ones quite feasible.

• Like Like x 4
      • shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
        Ratings:
        +118,494
        As usual, we have drifted away from the original topic (nothing wrong with that :noidea:) but lighting is always a contentious issue.

Trying to draw a line between necessary lighting, aesthetic lighting, power conservation and light pollution is an impossibility - and everyone has their own ideas of where on the spectrum they wish to be.

We draw our line somewhere inbetween.

As there is no street lighting where we are - three street lights in two miles of country road and none in the village apart from around the where the council's retirement bungalows (sounds better than old people's bungalows :heehee:) - we need some lighting.

We have five lights, on timers, along the front of the building and a street lamp at the junction of our path and driveway. These are necessary for safety and security as we're set 100ft back from the road but we turn them off once we are esconced safely indoors (we're dirty stop-outs and quite often are not home until close to midnight).

On the back of our building (and on our summerhouse) we have a total of about ten lights which are only turned on if we need to go out there in the dark or if entertaining on the patio. I ocassionally sit out there in the dark looking at the glorious night sky lit by thousands/millions of twinkling stars and listening to the night life all around. If everyone had lights on all the time we would miss that wonderful sight.

• Like Like x 4
        • Agree Agree x 1