Lake District...what do you know about it?

Discussion in 'Garden Visits' started by miraflores, Nov 23, 2007.

1. Pro Gard

Pro Gard Gardener

Ratings:
    +6
    Make sure the hardknot, coniston and kirkstone pases are on your list of drives!

2. geoffhandley

geoffhandley Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    Well we went on honeymoon 26 years last easter to Grasmere - the Red Lion hotel. One day we were up Great Gable and I was in shirt sleeves on the top.Two days later it was deep snow- we were driving past snow 4 feet deep at the side of the road to get back on the motorway.
    Later I used to take parties of schoolkids youth hostelling at week ends. I took them to Easedale Tarn, Stickle Tarn along the top and down the Langdale valley, Cat Bells, Fairfield Horseshoe etc. Got to be my favourite part of the country.
    Last year i took the caravan to the side of Coniston and walked up Coniston Old Man from the campsite. It was nice to be able to walk from the campsite without having to use a car all day.

3. Freddy

Freddy Miserable git, well known for it

Retired - yay!
    Ratings:
    +12,518
    Hi geoff, me and the mrs did the horseshoe. I can`t say we`ve done that many walks but so far THAT is my favourite. It was cloudy at the very top when we arrived but walking back down the other side the views were amazing. Btw, it was on the same day that the Ambleside games(?) were taking place, so there were fell runners passing us by. Boy, them guys are fit ! There was one guy that seemed to be floating across some boulders as he ran by us. Ahh well, maybe one day :D Cheers...freddy.

4. geoffhandley

geoffhandley Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    Well this is a significant piccie for me. Me on Coniston Old Man in August. At the beginning of last year I wasn't sure I was going to make it. Suddenly being told that in your early 50s you have a serious case of heart disease is a bit scarey. So when I was in hospital after my bypass I would look out at the hills of the Peak District and I was desperate to get back up the hills. This is the photo my wife sent to my surgeon and cardiologist.
    [​IMG]
    This was me a few years ago on the Fairfield Horshoe with my old dog, Duke - looks like he was trying to do a lemming impersonation.
    [​IMG]

5. shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
    Ratings:
    +123,170
    Good photos geoff [​IMG] :D

I don't go to the top of the high fells anymore but limit myself to the lower ones. No problem getting up them but the knees aren't up to long downward journeys :eek: . I don't run down the scree slopes from Haystacks anymore but have to come down the easier way [​IMG]

Even for people who can't (or don't want to) go up high there are some fantastic, and peaceful, views at lower levels. The Lake District is a wonderful place and is still my favourite although I see spectacular sights all over the world. Good old England [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. geoffhandley

geoffhandley Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    You are right there. Sometimes we have been to some lovely places abroad and we think very nice, but the UK is just as good. As a teacher I am amazed at how few places kids have been to in their own country, or their parents for that matter. They have been abroad but they know nothing of the Lake District, the Peak District or the Yorkshire Dales. For coastal scenery I think Pembrokeshire is better than anywhere else and its not as crowded as the South West.

7. miraflores

miraflores Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,389
    I remember that picture, geoffhandley, from the members gallery...very nice picture and splendid view!