LATEST MOAN FROM YOU AND ME 2017 a

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by GCHQ, Nov 30, 2017.

1. redstar

redstar Total Gardener

Domestic Goddess
    Chester County, PA, USA, Plant zone 4 & 5
    Ratings:
    +10,388
    I get that one also.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
    • silu

silu gardening easy...hmmm

Ratings:
      +8,083
      I am completely purple with rage:wallbanging:. I now have even more reason to dislike Christmas as it features those animals called Reindeer.
      While what is causing me to have a melt down aren't that exact species the horrors (Roe deer) are closely related.
      I had noticed the foliage on my purple sprouting Broccoli was looking somewhat munched but as it is being grown for a Spring crop....hopefully, I wasn't too concerned HOWEVER, I this morning ventured to go and pick some Swede which is growing next door to the Broccoli. I won't repeat what I actually said when I saw the devastation, but it wasn't oh dear! The bu''ers have decimated the whole crop eating not only most of the leaves but the roots as far down to the soil as possible. I have lost basically the whole lot (about 75 plants). If I had left a spade about they would probably have dug the roots up to be able the eat the whole thing.
      I will never grow Swede again as the roots has the habit of growing out of the ground which I have discovered is an open invitation to deer.
      There is an advert on the TV atm (Macdonalds) about giving Reindeer Carrot sticks, don't bother with Carrots they evidently LOVE Swede:yikes:

• Friendly Friendly x 5
      • redstar

redstar Total Gardener

Domestic Goddess
        Ratings:
        +10,388
        there is no "Sad" thing in the rating selections. But, sad for you @silu that is a lot of work to lose.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
        • Agree Agree x 1
        • silu

Ratings:
          +8,083
          That is very kind of you @redstar. Thankfully I and my family weren't banking on the Swede to sustain us through winter however, it just reminded me how lucky we are to be able to pop to the shops and get what we need if there are garden disasters! There would be small "pickings" if we had been:)

• Friendly Friendly x 4
          • "M"

"M" Total Gardener

Ratings:
            +31,885
            Crikey! :oops: I'm sure the deer didn't do it for anything associated with Christmas at all! :lunapic 130165696578242 5:

Really sorry for your loss though, as red said, that is a lot of work to have lost :grphg: I know @shiney has a soap deterrent he could recommend to you - he's had deer issues and seems to have found a solution.

Personally, I think you are rather blessed to have wild deer so close - but, that comes from someone who does not! :grphg:

• Agree Agree x 2
            • Friendly Friendly x 2
            • Like Like x 1
            • Funny Funny x 1
            • redstar

redstar Total Gardener

Domestic Goddess
              Ratings:
              +10,388
              just happened again, tonight, got home from work, husband already in living room. I am busy in kitchen. He yells "some guy at the door" then I see him retreating down the hall. Like, I am thinking, you can't get the door. so I get the door, and sign for a delivery of his. SMH. WTF.

• Friendly Friendly x 3
              • Like Like x 1
              • Kandy

Kandy Will be glad to see the sun again soon.....

Head gardener
                Ratings:
                +6,543
                @redstar I asked my hubby yesterday if he would kindly fill up all the bird feeders with nuts and fat balls ready for the birds as we have known for over a week that this snow was coming but as usual he knew better and left them half full and now the birds are sitting in my trees or squabbling on what’s left of the bird nuts because there isn’t enough for all the birds visiting the garden and the starlings as always are hogging the feeders:sad:

Also can’t understand the youngsters in our village as they all knew that this snow was coming but have all decided to trek down to the shop only to find that the Tesco’s delivery lorry has only just got through and because the shop staff can’t get into the village because of the road conditions then the shop has had to close until later on today:snorky:

Mr Kandy was just talking to our neighbour who has had to abandon their car on the top of the drive because of the snow and was telling Mr Kandy that they have no food in the house for them or their 2 and 4 year old.Surley they could have done what Mr Kandy did the other day and visited the big supermarket or the village shop and got stocked up.It isn’t rocket science.:biggrin:

PS,I asked Mr Kandy if he could drive our neighbour down to the shop later when it opens but as our 4x4 is in front of the mini down the drive and we are staying indoors all day then we can’t help him either:sad:

• Friendly Friendly x 2
                • Like Like x 1
                • redstar

redstar Total Gardener

Domestic Goddess
                  Ratings:
                  +10,388
                  @Kandy , LOL. my husband never has filled the bird feeders, got mine done and with suet prior to the snow. I don't get this "no food in the house" heard others say that, we always have something. Yep, with the weather reports one should not be surprised. We only have about 2 inches here, but its the soft stuff, so now big deal. Staying in today. but was considering going to church, humm. have to make that decision quickly to get ready as it starts in one hour. get some Christmas songs in.

• Like Like x 2
                  • Friendly Friendly x 1
                  • Kandy

Head gardener
                    Ratings:
                    +6,543
                    F20EBD28-F4B4-44CE-812C-08720B10F4E6.jpeg @redstar I always fill up and clean out the bird feeders,my other half enjoys seeing the birds in the garden but he doesn’t usually do those sorts of jobs.Left to him he would fill up the feeders when they have been empty for six months.It just isn’t on his radar.I also mentioned about cleaning out the bird bath with the hose pipe and refill it with fresh water but I don’t think that got done and I don’t like to keep nagging him:snorky:

At the moment I am not allowed out of the house so I am relying on him to help me again:biggrin:

A lot of people we know only keep one weeks food stuff in the cupboards/fridge and then they go shopping every week to stock up and they also have a lot of takeaways etc.I was watching a programme this morning and a family of 7 had £72 (pounds) worth of takeaways a week and although the mum,dad and five daughters were all thin the mother has just been diagnosed with type1 Diabetes so all this junk food wasn’t doing them any good.:sad:

My other half reckons we have had around 4 inches of snow here today.When they talk about the weather on the news programmes they talk in centimetres and I haven’t a clue what they are talking about:biggrin:

• Friendly Friendly x 3
                    • Like Like x 1
                    • redstar

redstar Total Gardener

Domestic Goddess
                      Ratings:
                      +10,388
                      @Kandy , I see you hurt your foot or ankle, what a pain. How did you hurt it? Reminds me of when we had our GSD's and I'd come home to the dogs dry water bowl, (like he can't see that to fill it). between freezer and fridge or canned /jarred stuff I can go for a month. would need fresh milk, milk and fresh veggies, like for salad fixings. Need dry cat food bags monthly. Just put in the freezer the balance of the roasted turkey from thanksgiving in portioned bags. I think some of our arguments we have are because things are NOT on his radar, as most women, I seem to do lots of those mystery chores around the house, that he has not got a clue about or even notices, and then he makes statements like I don't do anything. I remember changing the outdoor light fixture on the deck, turned off the fuse, rewired the light etc. not one mention, 6 months go by still nothing, just gave up. (but I don't do anything)

and its a rarity we do "take away"

• Like Like x 2
                      • Friendly Friendly x 2
                        Last edited: Dec 10, 2017
                      • noisette47

noisette47 Total Gardener

Ratings:
                        +13,967
                        We get the little 'dears' too, @silu. A couple of cheap but effective tips to keep them away.....hang bars of cheap soap and/or unwanted CDs and DVDs. It doesn't need to be elaborate. Just a garden cane stuck into the ground on a slight diagonal with the smellies/glitteries tied to the top does the trick.

• Useful Useful x 2
                        • Like Like x 1
                        • Informative Informative x 1
                        • Kandy

Head gardener
                          Ratings:
                          +6,543
                          @redstar I had a bunion operation performed November 28th and I and the surgeon thought that this time round it would be easier than the left one I had done in March but when he got inside,the Arthritic joint had turned to mush so he had to remove it all and do more work which has left me with a shortened big toe but I can live with that:biggrin:

As it was only done just under two weeks ago I have to spend the day resting it and I have a special shoe that I have to wear when I am aloud to ambulated as they call it round the house for ten minutes every hour.I should be getting the stitches out on Thursday and will see what they say as to whether I can start to go out and about a bit more but knowing my luck it will be another month before I am given the go ahead:sad:

Other half has been looking after me though,cooking all my meals and getting the washing and ironing done but he hasn’t tackled cleaning the house properly yet:snorky: I often find it quicker to just get on and do the jobs myself because when I ask for things to be done It takes a long time for what I have said to root in his brain:snorky:

We always have plenty of food in our cupboards,fridge and freezers as I remember being brought up in a house where there was twelve of us and the cupboards were often bare so I refuse to live like that:sad:

• Like Like x 2
                          • Agree Agree x 1
                          • Friendly Friendly x 1
                          • silu

Ratings:
                            +8,083
                            Thanks @noisette47 Obviously the damage is well and truly done however the little "dears" will no doubt move onto my Camellias which were deleafed a couple of years ago. I tried the human hair deterrent, zero effect unfortunately but I'll give your ideas a go when the soil stops resembling concrete as I won't be able to get canes into the ground atm as it's around -6 here:rolleyespink:.

• Friendly Friendly x 3
                            • shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
                              Ratings:
                              +117,318
                              I use the soap method to keep the deer out. The best type of soap to use is the unperfumed type - but proper soap and not one of the soap substitutes.

We hang bits of the cut up soap in muslin bags around the boundary. At Bressingham they hang the soap on sticks in the individual flower beds. :blue thumb:

Gardens

• Informative Informative x 1
                              • Useful Useful x 1
                              • ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
                                +100,834
                                [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 6