1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

LATEST MOAN FROM YOU AND ME 2018

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by ARMANDII, Jan 1, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Doghouse Riley

Doghouse Riley Head Gardener

"Pleasantly unemployed."
    Ratings:
    +4,411
    I ruined a tyre a month ago. As I pulled up close to the kerb as there was a lorry parked the other side of the road, I failed to notice that a piece of the kerb had been pushed out by the roots of the tree by an inch. I must have brushed against the kerb and trapped the side wall of the tyre between it and the rim. Changed the wheel myself, I could have been waiting an hour for "assist" as it was rush hour.

A golfing friend bought a two year-old car from the main agents a few months ago. He managed to hit one of his refuse bins and caused a small dent behind the rear passenger door. He's not going to bother with it. As he was showing me, I noticed the rear bumper didn't look right, the underside of it swept up slightly over the the exhaust. He couldn't remember doing it, so we reckoned it was like that when he bought it and he hadn't noticed.

• Like Like x 5
    • ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
      +100,836
      I would question that, Riley, with the Insurance Company as nearly all guarantee a no claims bonus but if you do claim and it's not "protected" by an extra premium then you will lose some, if not all, of your "guaranteed" no claims bonus. They say, [Insurance Companies] that.......

"How much discount does a no claims bonus give?
      The British Insurance Brokers’ Association says that a driver who’s gone a year without making a claim will get a discount of around 30% off their premium, while someone in their second year of driving will get around 40% off.

After building up a no claims bonus for a number of years, drivers can receive a maximum discount of around 60 or 65%.

Protecting your car’s no claims bonus
      If you have an accident and take some or all of the responsibility, it’s likely that you’ll lose some or all of your no claims bonus. If you’re not at fault and another party takes the blame, your discount should remain in place.

A way to safeguard your no claims bonus is to pay an additional amount on top of your car insurance to protect it. This means that even if you were to make a claim, your no claims bonus would stay intact. Making two claims in a year with a protected no claims bonus won’t have an effect with some insurers, though others may significantly reduce it.

It’s worth remembering that a protected no claims bonus won’t entirely shield you from a higher premium when you come to renew your car insurance. When calculating premiums, insurers look at the number of years without claims as well as the number of claims made"

So the Insurer's interpretation of "Guaranteed" is questionable as No Claims Discount is merely a sweetener to customers and, unless it is protected by that extra premium or by a general premium package that includes pricing for the protection of No Claims Bonus [which might be what you have], you'll find a claim will cost you. I got a quote from LV for comprehensive insurance with 19 years no claims,[although they only recognise 6 to 9 years of that], there was no protection of the No Claims bonus without the extra premium, which is why I think you've had that extra premium included in the general package.:dunno::coffee:

• Informative Informative x 2
      • martin-f

martin-f Plant Hardiness Zone 8b

Ratings:
        +10,302
        Its amazing what they can do with dents now days, i had a dent on this car when i bought it, i had a quote for pulling it out expecting it to be expensive, £45 so i had it done.

A lot larger dent being removed here.

• Like Like x 4
        • Agree Agree x 1
        • WeeTam

WeeTam Total Gardener

Ratings:
          +5,089
          And of course dents can be removed from plastic bumpers too with the aid of a heat gun. I never knew plastic had a memory.

• Like Like x 3
          • Informative Informative x 1
          • ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
            +100,836
            If that's so, Wee Tam, I'm glad it hasn't got a memory like mine:doh::dunno::heehee:

• Funny Funny x 2
            • Like Like x 1
            • Jack McHammocklashing

Jack McHammocklashing Sludgemariner

Ex Civil Serpent
              Ratings:
              +7,284
              Found out the hardway that protected no claims bonus is only if you stay with that company,
              Change company and they do not send the no claims across to the new one

• Like Like x 1
              • Friendly Friendly x 1
              • Doghouse Riley

"Pleasantly unemployed."
                Ratings:
                +4,411

Perhaps I didn't explain it too well. I listed all the things I have, of course you have to pay for them. But I went from protected, (I think that was three claims in three years or the other way round), to guaranteed no claims for no more extra cost, some time ago.

It says it doesn't matter how many claims I have, the no claims discount remains the same percentage, though of course the basic premium is bound to rise.

• Informative Informative x 2
                  Last edited: Feb 22, 2018
                • CanadianLori

CanadianLori Total Gardener

Battle Axe
                  Ratings:
                  +30,610
                  My premiums went up slightly after a particularly nasty accident (rearended) but I was grateful for having the situation covered.

I'd like to hear about anyone who had a serious, big money issue, not handled properly instead of minor fender benders...

In my opinion the insurance companies are now being more cooperative about vehicle/property damage and there is no liability for injuries to humans involved.

The van was hit so hard it knocked the cap off my son's head. But nobody had whiplash so the insurance company must have held a party that day. I must carry a minimum of $1 million liability insurance and the rates quoted here are not much lower than what I pay. And yes, I did the currency conversion when calculating my response.

Here's my moan. Why does mother nature tease me with a few days of spring like temps in February when it really isn't going to happen for 8 more weeks!

• Friendly Friendly x 3
                  • Like Like x 2
                  • Kandy

Kandy Will be glad to see the sun again soon.....

Head gardener
                    Ratings:
                    +6,543
                    Many thanks for all your replies:thumbsup:

I did say in my first post that I expect our insurance will go up next year to cover what the insurance company will have to pay out to the repairers ur that is something we shall have to live with as the car is only a year old and I’m don’t think he would be happy driving round with a smashed in grill loose bumper damaged intercooler and a pheasant attached to the front of the car:snorky:

At least reading all the posts and watching the video clip of how to get dents out of minis I have educated myself a little bit more:biggrin:

• Like Like x 4
                      Last edited: Feb 22, 2018
                    • Jiffy

Jiffy The Match is on Fire

Pyro
                      Ratings:
                      +31,863
                      Can you claim against the person that put it there :snorky:

• Funny Funny x 3
                      • Doghouse Riley

"Pleasantly unemployed."
                        Ratings:
                        +4,411
                        It would stand as much chance as in the claim you said, "I collided with a rock, traveling in the opposite direction."

• Like Like x 1
                        • Jiffy

Jiffy The Match is on Fire

Pyro
                          Ratings:
                          +31,863
                          Years ago i had a concrete block through the lorry windscreen as i passed under a motorway bridge, i nearly :poo:myself

• Friendly Friendly x 2
                          • Gail_68

Gail_68 Guest

Ratings:
                            +0
                            @martin-f What you doing mate wrecking your motor :yikes:...another job lined up :whistle:

• Funny Funny x 1
                            • Gail_68

Gail_68 Guest

Ratings:
                              +0
                              @martin-f a member in my hubbies club pulls out the dents for the same amount :dbgrtmb:

• Like Like x 1
                              • Gail_68

Gail_68 Guest

Ratings:
                                +0
                                Hi @Kandy Pleased your motor is sorted mate :dbgrtmb::)

• Like Like x 1
                                Thread Status:
                                Not open for further replies.