LATEST MOAN FROM YOU AND ME - 2022

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by shiney, Jan 1, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Loofah

Loofah Admin Staff Member

Ratings:
    +23,872
    Rentals and mortgages are the most ridiculous they've ever been. People can't get a mortgage so have to rent, but the rent is more expensive than a mortgage?! :rolleyespink:
    The banks seem to think this is the way it should be when anyone can see it's daft.
    Another case of the rich getting richer

• Agree Agree x 2
    • gks

gks Total Gardener

Production Manager
      Ratings:
      +4,947
      In 2007 I was going to put down a deposit on a property in Thailand, then rent it out to partially fund the mortgage. The estate agent in Thailand, told me to speak to some expats before making a decision, which I did.

I was budgeting on the current interest and exchange rates, which the expats told me would be a huge mistake. I was told to do some research and see what the average rates were over the previous 25 years and then see what I could afford. Going by the historical exchange and interest charges, the property I was looking at would of been well out of my reach financially if the rates went against me, which they have, sound advice which I took onboard.

Banks have been encouraging people to lend more than they probably wanted to commit to. The banks know with rising house prices they are the ones not taking the financial risk, if you default on your mortgage payments, the banks will still make a profit on any future sales of the property.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
      • Selleri

Selleri Koala

Ratings:
        +8,039
        Good heavens. Are they aiming at corporate people who may be relocated for a year or two, or rich foreigners looking for a holiday home? If the location is right, that might sort of work.

For us mere mortals, no.

I know a lot of foreign people like me who haven't quite made their minds up if they want to buy property in the UK, so end up renting privately. The rents around here are £700 + -ish, which is ok if you can afford it, but it indeed is madness that if I bought this house my mortgage would be about half of that.

...oh wait, that was last week, now with the interests it could be heaven knows what :heehee: :wallbanging:

I'll buy a tent and a decent bottle of plonk instead.

• Like Like x 1
        • Funny Funny x 1
        • Friendly Friendly x 1
        • NigelJ

NigelJ Total Gardener

Mad Scientist
          Ratings:
          +22,572
          It's a quiet cul-de-sac, not near anywhere, no good views, but apparently the local primary school is pretty decent.
          I suspect that they may be aiming for people retiring down here, having sold up, they need somewhere for 6 months while they find their retirement home. As it's unfurnished they can save on furniture storage.

• Jocko

Jocko Guided by my better half.

Retired engineer. Now Vice CEO of the garden.
            Danderhall on southern edge of Edinburgh. Zone 8a.
            Ratings:
            +6,782
            £41K is a nice retirement package.

• Clueless 1 v2

Clueless 1 v2 Total Gardener

Ratings:
            +2,769
            This is only partly true.

When I bought my house, I was lucky at someone else's expense. I got my house at about 25 grand less than it previously sold for, because it was a repo. In this case, the bank may have actually lost money, depending on how far the previous owner got with their mortgage payments. I imagine not very far, given that they had it last sold about 5 years before I bought it, it had stood empty for a year before I bought it, and you usually have to get about a year behind before the court will allow a repossession order. I have no idea how much deposit the previous people put down, but given the timing, I'm going to guess it was a very small percentage, if any (remember the banks were giving out 100% mortgages back then).

The flip side is I know someone else who got repo'ed, with only a few years left on their mortgage. The bank may have profited in that case, but even then I'm not sure because it was in the 1980s when lots of mortgagees were in negative equity.

I'm not sticking up for the banks, not for one second. They have historically made some pretty reckless decisions with very severe consequences.

As a related aside, remember how in the last house price crash, everyone blamed the banks? Well at the time everyone knew that bankers were reckless. There was plenty of history to demonstrate that, which is probably why the government setup the Financial Services Authority, later rebranded the Financial Conduct Authority. The FSA sat back and watched while banks gave out 125% mortgages without much in the way of credit checking.

• pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
            Ratings:
            +92,104
            Dont often praise the French but just watched a video of the police dealing with protesters who have glued themselves to the road.
            They wont be doing that again it looked painful, but quick.
            Unlike our police that ask them if they would like a drink of water while deciding whether or not to get out the solvent to slowly dissolve the glue.

We have just had two idiots high up in the cables above the Dartford crossing on the M25 and the bridge was closed for 36 or so hours while they sat up there.

Its about time we got tough with these odd balls and put them back in the box they escaped from.

• Loofah

Loofah Admin Staff Member

Ratings:
              +23,872
              Isn't there a law proposed to prevent protest that encumbers or damages infrastructure and 'stuff'?
              Can you imagine this some decades ago? The police would have beaten the protestors and kicked them up the street! Peaceful protest is fine with me but when you're attempting to destroy works of art, blockading infrastructure or generally being 'anti establishment' then what has that to do with protesting? Those ones are just vandals.

• Agree Agree x 3
              • Like Like x 1
              • Jiffy

Jiffy The Match is on Fire

Pyro
                Ratings:
                +33,002
                Miss Jiff is not happy with me, i've got a bad sulfur proplem :old:

• Funny Funny x 1
                  Last edited: Oct 21, 2022
                • shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
                  Ratings:
                  +122,487
                  When I was on the Aldermarston March there was no vandalism or obstructing the passage of vehicles. Although there were tens of thousands of people on the march, spread over a distance, there was still room left for vehicles to get by. There were some anarchist groups that tried to cause trouble but the marchers soon put a stop to it.

• Like Like x 1
                  • Clueless 1 v2

Ratings:
                    +2,769
                    I hate what the latest batch of activists are doing. Not because I've been disrupted by any of it myself. They seem to be mostly down south from what I can gather.

I hate them for what they're doing for the causes they claim to represent.

I agree with the ultimate objectives of the likes of Just Stop Oil and Insulate Britain. But they way they're going about it they're just teaching people to associate their causes with disruption, anger and hatred. To me, that means anyone that was partially starting to lean towards the need to move towards better home efficiency for example, will now associate that with mass disruption rather than making long term financial savings while helping the planet.

In my life so far, I've attended a grand total of one mass protest. I didn't even care about the cause I just went for the crack. Hundreds of thousands of us marched through London singing silly songs about John Major. We didn't smash anything, paint anything, fasten ourselves to anything. We just marched along a pre planned route, assembled in hide park, listened to someone have a rant, and went home.

• Agree Agree x 2
                    • shiney

Ratings:
                      +122,487
                      What about the pub crawls or rave ups afterwards? :heehee:

• Clueless 1 v2

Ratings:
                      +2,769
                      That's a whole other story, too long to post here, but in a nutshell....

On the coach home, we stopped at various points to pick people up. My friend and I went into kings college student union bar to round up any of our lot, decided to have a quick pint, and got left behind, with our wallets still on the bus.

We got a huge amount of help from the police, got a ride in a police car to try to get us to the next coach pick-up, missed it, had a cup of tea in another police station, while they phoned my local cop shop. My grandad paid for new coach tickets, coppers gave us some paperwork to give to national express, and we eventually arrived back on teesside around 6am the following morning, having met a load of lovely but strange mostly drunk people on the coach home from London. It was great.

• Like Like x 2
                      • shiney

Ratings:
                        +122,487
                        People moan about the police but we have found them helpful recently.

We were at a friend's 90th birthday lunch the other Saturday at a restaurant in town. As car parking is a bit of a nightmare on Saturdays, especially as they have closed the main car park, we decided to go by taxi.

When the lunch was over the restaurant couldn't find any taxi company that could send us a cab as they were all booked up for hours. The only option was the cab rank at the station about 1.5 miles away and Mrs Shiney said we should walk there. That's no problem for me but she is waiting for a knee replacement! She said she would be OK if we took it easily. A couple of hundred yards later she was having too much trouble. There was a police car stopped in the high street and she asked them for a lift :rolleyespink:. With no hesitation they said yes and dropped us off at the taxi rank just as a taxi was arriving. :blue thumb:

• Like Like x 6
                        • Friendly Friendly x 1
                        • Clueless 1 v2

Ratings:
                          +2,769
                          I have a new latest moan.

When you're a kid, any physical recreational activity you do is just fun.

When you're an adult, apparently it is training.

I've just seen an advert for some cycling accessory that boosts your training. I ride a bike for fun. I'm not training for anything. Ok granted, I know some people do. Some train for races or other competitions, but I think most do what they do for leisure.

I also practice martial arts. I have no intention or desire to fight anybody other than other consenting adults and even then only under strict rules designed to prevent anyone getting actually hurt. I hear younger folks at work talking about their fitness tracking watches, and their training regimen. They don't talk about some epic challenge they're planning to embark on that requires some period of training.

I wish us 'grown ups' could just accept that some things are just fun. Because if every physical leisure activity is 'training', then one wonders, what can we possibly be training for if not some epic challenge or competition? Are we training for old age? Training for death?

Or are we just living our lives, enjoying a bit of harmless escapism in between all our grown up responsibilities?

• Like Like x 1
                          Thread Status:
                          Not open for further replies.